As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheap File Backup Program?

Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
So a couple uncles of mine run their own business. Just today they had a bit of an incident (one of their two computers got some spyware, they nearly lost the hard-drive) and I recommended they start backing up their files on an external hard-drive. Hard-drives are easy enough to find, so that's not a problem.

I need a program to do the backing up, though. It doesn't necessarily have to be automatic, but it does have to be able to access a network drive (since I'll be setting up one hard-drive for two computers). And as always, free would be nice.

Anything out there like this?

Mobile-D on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    what OS are they running?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I haven't actually looked at the machines yet (and they're not very computer literate) but I'm assuming XP.

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TL DR on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rsync is one of the best. Unison if you need synchronization. PartImage if you want to do disk imaging I'd say.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to bump/hijack this thread rather than make my own.

I have an external USB HDD that I want to use to backup files from my home system. All I really want to do is back up all the files in the My Documents folder (music, docs, movies, etc) and then have a backup/sync program I can run that will check the external disk and then only copy over files that are new or modified. Do any of you have any suggestions for this?

I've downloaded a program called Free File Sync from sourceforge and I'll try it out when I get the chance.

Also, I know I could just as easily do this manually, but having software for it should make it easier/more efficient.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    SlightlyOffTrackSlightlyOffTrack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Allway Sync

I found this little gem of a program on pcmag.com. The UI is nothing to write home about, but it works like a charm and has a lot of great features. I personally use it to keep files synced across my home network.

It's free for personal use but the license does state that you're limited to copying 40,000 files in a 30 day period. I don't know if this limit is enforced in the program, as it hasn't even run close to that for me. For business use (or going over that limit) it's only $20 for the first license and $10 for each additional.

SlightlyOffTrack on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Microsoft Synctoy if you use XP, Vista or Win7

travathian on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could make a bat file with good ol' robocopy. It can be scheduled with Windows' Scheduled Tasks applet, or just manually double-click the bat file to run the copy. It can handle only getting new files, etc.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    thanks for the suggestions. I'll give these all a try once I get my computer back up and running.

Feldorn on