As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBOX 360 Component Cable Problem

LanglyLangly Registered User regular
I recently bought a XBOX 360 Elite system and some component cables for my CRT tv. The cables are labeled CR/CB/y , but the tv is labeled PR/PB/y. When I hooked up the system for the first time, the audio worked, but nothing came up on the screen. When I hooked it up with the HD cables in standard mode, the picture worked fine. I'd really like to get the component cables to work, but I don't really know what could be wrong.

The cables were definitely hooked up correctly, and there is no switch on the cables to differentiate hd/tv or anything.

Langly on

• Options
    RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you have the standard Microsoft cables, there is a switch and it is on the part that plugs into your Xbox.

RuddurBall on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not trying to derail this thread, but this seems like a good place to ask: I am enticed by the upcoming price cut and Shadow Complex. So I have a two part question:

1. Does the 360 support 1080p? I only ask because I'd much rather use the component cables if I can avoid another HDMI cable purchase. I recently remodeled my basement and I did a "detached" set up where my devices sit some distance from the TV now, recessed into the wall. I don't need a dinky 3 or 6 foot cable; we're talking serious $texas for the cable. If the device doesn't have games that play in 1080p, then I'm just sticking with the components. Granted, there are not many games on the PS3 that I own that support it, either, but it's my Blue Ray player, so I made the leap there.

1a. Is the 360 like the PS3, where there is HDMI and audio out on the back of the unit, or do you need a "kit" that plugs into the modular unit in the back, like the OXBOX?

2. My receiver is currently maxxed on my opical inputs. It has 3, and they are all in use by my DVR, PS3, and AppleTV. Anyone know if the AV kits for the 360 support coax-out for digital audio? My cable box does, but I really don't plan on playing "many" games on the 360 and I don't want to reprogram my receiver if I can avoid it.

Much appreciated!

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For DietarySupplement:
    1. Does the 360 support 1080p?

Yes it does. In fact, more so then the PS3 in number of games.
    I don't need a dinky 3 or 6 foot cable; we're talking serious $texas for the cable.

$Texas is stretching it a little. Monoprice.com has 30ft of HDMI cable for about $35. Even 100ft for $100.

Is the 360 like the PS3, where there is HDMI and audio out on the back of the unit, or do you need a "kit" that plugs into the modular unit in the back, like the OXBOX?

The Xbox 360 has an HDMI out on the back, but you will need the official Microsoft HDMI kit (8ft) if you want an optical out port. There is no coaxial out. I assume you have these hooked up to a home theater receiver? Why not use the HDMI for audio as well? Or is the HDMI going to the TV, and the audio to the receiver?

As for the OPs question about component cables, I'm seeing a lot of conflicting reports about compatibility. Everyone says CR/CB/y cables should work with PR/PB/y inputs, except in rare per-TV cases. Have you adjusted the video out settings in the 360 dashboard? But then, if you can't see the screen in the first place... I don't know. Sorry I can't be of more help. :?

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not all 360's have HDMI output. When you go to the store make sure you aren't getting some dusty piece of crap that doesn't have HDMI.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Langly, do you have a friend with a 360 that you could barrow the pack-in component cables from? Maybe you have a bad cable? What kind did you buy? Have you ever used the component inputs on your TV before, and are you sure they work?

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1a. Is the 360 like the PS3, where there is HDMI and audio out on the back of the unit, or do you need a "kit" that plugs into the modular unit in the back, like the OXBOX?

If you search around, you will find guides that show you how to strip down the cable jacket on the Component cables to use HDMI and a separate audio out.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Xbox 360 has an HDMI out on the back, but you will need the official Microsoft HDMI kit (8ft) if you want an optical out port. There is no coaxial out. I assume you have these hooked up to a home theater receiver? Why not use the HDMI for audio as well? Or is the HDMI going to the TV, and the audio to the receiver?

My receiver does not support "through" HDMI audio; if the HDMI goes to the receiver and then the TV, the sound outputs at the TV. Not happy about it, but that's how it is. Therefore, I use HDMI for the video and optical for the sound to the sound system.

I'm toying with the idea of taking ALL HDMI cables to the TV from my devices, then using the monitor's audio output to go from there to the receiver, removing the bottle neck of me running out of optical ports on my box.

In the latter case, I wouldn't need the AV kit; the sound would travel from the HDMI to the TV, and the TV can output the sound in the same format to the receiver via the optical cable.

DietarySupplement on