So I was reading my local newspaper today and came across an article about my Local mall, and the only mall that isn't 2 hours away (im about 2 hours from Ft. Myers, 2 hours from Tampa, 2 and a half hours from Orlando). I found the new Policy on the Mall's website, so heres a PDF link
and heres what if says if you want to read it here:
LAKESHORE MALL YOUTH ESCORT POLICY
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY
6 P.M. UNTIL CLOSE
1. Lakeshore Mall visitors under 18 years of age are required to be accompanied by a
parent or guardian 21 years or older at all times on Friday and Saturday evenings
after 6 p.m.
2. Security will begin monitoring those entering the property at 6p.m. on Friday and
3. Unescorted youth shopping prior to 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday evenings must leave
the property by 6 p.m. or be joined by a parent or guardian.
4. Unescorted youth will be asked to leave the property after 6 p.m. on Fridays and
5. Individuals without personal transportation on Friday or Saturday nights must schedule
their departure time to ensure compliance with the Youth Escort Policy.
6. Any person violating the posted Youth Escort Policy or Code of Conduct will be asked to
leave the property.
7. Individuals in violation of the Youth Escort Policy or the Code of Conduct who refuse to
leave the property when requested to do so by mall security officers may be prosecuted
8. Proof of age will be required if the age of the youth and/or parent(s) or guardian(s) is not
easily determined. Those whose age cannot be determined and who lack identification
will be asked to leave the property.
9. Anyone appearing to be under 18 years of age should be prepared to show valid
identification (with picture and date of birth). Acceptable identification includes a driver’s
license, state or military identification card, passport or visa.
10. Youth under 18 years of age working on property will be allowed access without a parent
or guardian. Proof of work status will be required, and youth employees must go directly
to the place of employment and must leave the property at the conclusion of their work
shift if after 6 p.m. on Friday and/or Saturday evenings.
11. Unescorted theater patrons under the age of 18 may only enter the theater through the
mall entrance adjacent to the theater.
12. One parent over 21 years of age may escort all of his/her children. Additionally, one
parent or guardian over 21 years of age may escort up to 3 youths, at least one of which
must be the child of the parent or guardian.
13. Parents or guardians are accountable for the actions of the youth they escort.
14. If an escorted youth is banned from the center, the adult escort will also be banned for
the same period of time.
15. Security personnel are responsible for enforcing this policy and related procedures.
16. The Youth Escort Policy is posted at all mall entrances.
Thank you for your cooperation
Effective September 11, 2009
I, for one, think this is absolutely crazy. This is their effort to deal with "hooligans" in the mall, and it even punishes mall employees who are under 18. The mall is also home to the only Gamestop in the whole county, and the only other place to buy games would be from Walmart. This will seriously cut into their business, and the business of most of the stores in the mall because that is when they have the most business is at night on Fridays and Saturdays. This will seriously take away 80% of the business on Friday and Saturday nights. Even alot of the store managers are against this policy.
What are your oppinions on this/ what do you think would happen if your local mall did this? I, for one, know I won't be shopping there anymore if I can help it, or going to the theater there, even though its the only one in town. It also is home to the only record store in town, and the only arcade in town.