As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hot bath

Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I like hot baths. You know, the ones where it hurts when you first get in?

I often feel light headed when I get out (usually at least half an hour in there) but today I damn near fell sprawling in a faint, and had to sit down fast.

Why does this happen? Heart rate was about 140 when I was out. I am young(ish) and fairly fit.

Just wondering. :D

Teslan26 on

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Your body is trying desperately to cool itself. You are probably sweating out a pint or two of fluid and don't realize it. Heat also causes vessels to expand, lowering your blood pressure overall and standing up quickly can easily knock you out if you've got serious vasodilation going on. Full body hot baths or even showers for even short periods of time are not healthy. If you need to relax your muscles, go for it, but don't overdo it and drink a shit ton of water.

Edit: I suggest that towards the end of your bath you turn the tap on cold and pull the stopper so that the water can slowly cool your body down without sending you into shock from the temperature change. Give yourself a few minutes and stand up a little slower.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Something to keep in mind is that on hot tubs, you'll often see warnings about being in for any longer than 15 minutes a pop.

Don't go cooking your guts, if you can avoid it.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I tend to be reading, judging by the fluids running into my eyes I do sweat a lot!

Will focus on a gradual cool down in future -thanks xD

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How hot is hot? You probably shouldn't get into anything that's more than 106F (the hottest most hot tubs go). If this is a habit you plan to keep, you should just get a cheapo thermometer (like a candy thermometer) and keep it by the tub.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, constant hot water (to the point of "hurting" when you get in) can de-sensitize your nerves and do permanent damage if you do it constantly.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The light-headedness is caused by a drop in blood pressure and an increase in heart rate. It also doesn't help that you are going from laying down to standing up quickly (blood is basically falling out of your head and into your feet). It is of some concern because passing out in a bath is considered bad form (and deadly). Even passing out in the bathroom after the bath can lead to some bad head injuries.

In addition to the mentioned cooling-off period, I'd recommend not standing up too quickly. Perhaps change to a sitting position for a minute or two before getting up.

My wife has low blood pressure and has actually blacked out by getting out of bed too fast. Luckily she fell right back onto the bed. Same thing with a friend of mine who is 6' 8".

This is also why they say solo hot-tubbing is not exactly a good plan either. It is quite possible to pass out if in one too long.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.