As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Registering an iPhone with a new OS.

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently installed Windows 7 from Windows Vista and this morning I plugged in my iPhone to switch around some music and back it up only to find out that my iPhone isnt registering with the new OS. iTunes picks it up fine and I can few all the files but I cant seem to find a way to register it. I have tried:

Hitting Sync on iTunes
Logging into iTunes music store
Checking in my iTunes store account settings for something
Authorizing the computer through 'Store--> Authorize this Computer'
Transferring Purchases from my iPhone to my iTunes

Windows 7 also picked up the device when I plugged it in. I really am at a loss as to what to try next, any ideas?

projectmayhem on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't even understand what you are trying to do.

You don't need to register the iPhone with your operating system as far as I'm aware?

Does iTunes recognise it as being attached to your iTunes account etc.?

Oh, wait, is what's going on here authorising your iTunes account with a new device? Because you've installed a new OS, iTunes is thinking your PC is a new device and you didn't de-authorise your PC when it was still running Vista?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Correct on the last part. I had no idea you had to de-authorize.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can authorize up to like 5 computers. This can be done through one of iTunes menus. if you've already authorized to your limit, and can't add this computer, there should be a link in that same menu to allow you to de-authroize all other computers so you can start over.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's only be authorized on this computer when it had vista.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So just authorize again through the iTunes menu.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I did. I am still not able to do anything with my iPhone through iTunes.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    iTunes 'sees' the iPhone though, right?

Have you told iTunes to manually manage the iPod?

By default it is set to synch, which means you can't manually drag and drop files from iTunes library to the iPod library.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    iTunes 'sees' the iPhone though, right?

Have you told iTunes to manually manage the iPod?

By default it is set to synch, which means you can't manually drag and drop files from iTunes library to the iPod library.

Ahh. Oh bull craps. It's going to earse my iphone when it does this? Just the music and videos right? Not all the apps, calender, contracts and everything right?

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You can set each 'thing' to synch or manage manually individually (so you can have apps auto-synch and music manually managed etc.), so no, documents etc. shouldn't be erased. This would only happen if you restored the iPhone, in which case any contacts etc. that had been entered since your last back-up would be erased. I'm not sure you could even do a restore at this point though, because iTunes won't have a previous back-up to restore from.

Your music only gets erased when you choose to synch, not when you choose to manually manage. As your phone was probably already synched with your 'old' computer (ie windows vista), that computer is considered the home computer. You can set it to manually manage on your 'new' computer (ie windows 7) without it erasing any of your music or you can choose to Synch, which will erase your music and update your 'new' computer as your iPhone's 'home'.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202

Szechuanosaurus on