As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Attending PAX alone

123457»

• Options
    ReverendJynxedReverendJynxed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well here goes my baggage:

33 Male

Into gaming: Pretty much any pen n paper rpg or strategy game, consoles, PCs etc.
    Stickler for the old school D&D. Played some Magic and Jyhad in my day.
    I still have my colecovision and odyssey in a box somewhere.
    Reading choices are generally fantasy with some sci-fi, and non-fiction choices are generally science related or paranormal interests.
    I enjoy having fun, laughing, joking, and being around others that enjoy the same.

What I don't like... Pretty much the opposite of what I enjoy :P Seriously though, I'm a pretty open-minded guy.

There is a lot more to know so if you want to know, you gotta ask :P

ReverendJynxed on
  • Options
    tehshadowtehshadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    surprisingly, i went last year and didn't really meet anyone. then again i was 15 lol. Going again and i hope i meet some new peoples. I plan on hanging out in the showfloor most of the time with the exception of a few panels and some of the pc freeplay.

tehshadow on
  • Options
    DragondevonDragondevon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ok so my friend bailed on me so im going alone to... but i hope to meet up with some new people at pax

for the hell of it im 22/m/spokane lol

im going to attend the prepax dinner so if you want to you can meet up with me there.

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Dude, I think he's a zombie."
    "No he's not, he's dead."
    "But he's still walking around."
    "Which makes him one of the walking dead."
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."
    "No, that makes him a zombie."

"You sound like WALL-E having sex with a Speak and Spell"
  • Options
    Xtian80Xtian80 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well here goes my baggage:
    Stickler for the old school D&D. Played some Magic and Jyhad in my day.

OMG Jyhad, I totally forgot about that game. Man that game was awesome!

Xtian80 on
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    AMG! I totally have forgotten to post in this thread. >_>

I too am heading there alone this year. :)

I was attempting to convince my friend into going, but could not because of his work & financial state (hey, there's always next year).

Hmmm... I see people are doing a quick rundown of a bio. I guess I'll add as well. :)

23/M/Seattle-ish
    I'm about 5'11" (180cm) & 155lbs (70.3kg)

Really into:
      Hugs (Huggles/Snuggles/Wuggles), D&D (3.x ed.), Internet Memes, Video Games (in General), RPGs, MMOs, Sci-fi Shows & Movies (I've seen a bunch, but not all of them), Toonami, Cartoons, House, Punk/Ska Music, Penny Arcade, PAX, Sleeping-in (for 12 hours if I can), Gyros, DSs, Piano/Guitar Covers Of Videogames, Art (specifically my friend Anuxinamoon's).

Occasionally (kinda/sorta) into:
      D&D (4th ed.), Forgotten Realms Books, FPSs, RTSs, Puzzles, Pokemon, Indie Music, Rock Music, Hip-Hop/R&B/Rap Music, Cooking IRL, Karaoke, Pool, Darts, Card Games (both stuff like Magic/Yu-gi-Oh/Pokemon & others like Blackjack/Cribbage/Poker), Board Games, Consumption Of Adult Beverages, Rock Climbing/Bouldering, Guitar, Photography, Anime (only some), Cosplay on looker, Philosophy.

Visual Identifiers:
      I'm a ginger with a small beard (the Rare Red Viking! *I wish*:wink:). I'll probably be sporting my
    Hufflepuff Scarf from Wednesday 09/02 through Monday 09/07.
    I may be wearing a Blue Totoro Hat one (or several) of the days.
    I may be wearing my Hufflepuff Beanie after the Pre-PAX Pub crawl. ;)
    I may be holding a FREE HUGS sign (some of the con). ^_^
    I don't cosplay so I'll probably be in either board shorts or jeans & a shirt.

Apparently I'm also into stating I'll write a quick bio & it somehow turns into a Wall-O-Text.

I'll be at most of the Pre & Post events (MMT Wed/Thur, Pre-PAX Dinner, Triwizard Drinking Tourney, Pre-Breakfast, Post-PAX Dinner, Post-PAX TwitterShitter Tweetup) & PAX itself all three days. :P

Anyways, if you see me around (assuming you recognize me :P) stop by and say 'hi' (if I don't at first) & myabe talk about how awesome Talespin & Gargoyles are if you so please! :)

Shiggles on
  • Options
    nanaki254nanaki254 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wont be at the pre/post events, I can't really attend those, and those seem too expensive for me :( .

I'll be wearing a GH3 wristband i got when I was a street promoter, a Bleach wristband, and either one of these shirts from the fabulous shirt.woot:

Steamworks Operatica
    The Early Bird
    or
    Sore Thumbs - Redux (if it comes before or during Fri/Sat)

nanaki254 on
    My clan: www.killazinc.net
    I sub music: My Youtube
  • Options
    Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have been able to reserve a room for those people who are interested in the media meet thing. Please PM or email at my work address (pretty easy to figure that one out) and I will let you know where.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    RadiantRevanRadiantRevan Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    umm when I saw the other side of his sign it said "FUCK YOU, PAY ME!"

Got a picture of that too, let me find it.

EDIT:
    IMG_1449.jpg

That's awesome!

RadiantRevan on
  • Options
    MisterPlisskenMisterPlissken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be attending alone. I'm planning on hitting up the dinner and the breakfast run. Metabolic fuel!

MisterPlissken on
  • Options
    HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going alone. I think I posted that earlier in the thread, but that was probably 4-5 months ago. I ended up going to Blizzcon alone last year, because people that were supposed to be there never came. It was still awesome. I had a blast, I met a lot of people, talked about random bullshit, etc. I'll probably never see or talk to those people ever again, but who cares? That's half the fun.

edit: Oh, I'm supposed to include "about me" stuff, huh?

26/m/Philly

Games: Everything, really. I play TF2 constantly.

Music: Punk! Metal. Whatever else I feel like listening to.

Everything else: Who knows. I just make shit up as I go most days.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    mailboxhead2188mailboxhead2188 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Alone I shall be, as well.

27/m/Seattle area, attending Friday.

Games:
    I like all kinds, although I suck at most :lol: Because of my work and lifestyle hours, I don't get a chance to do much hardcore gaming. The last game I played beginning-to-end was BioShock (which I LOVED...I also finished System Shock 2 with a friend in college. Playing that at 1am to 5am is a mistake, especially if you don't turn on any lights in your apartment...), and the last game I bought was Wii Sports Resort (before that, Punch-Out).

My friends and I used to love Catan, so I'm always up for a game of that, and I do enjoy a good TF2 match or five :)

Personal Stuff:
    I'm 6'2" tall, dark hair, brown eyes, decent physique (I have a bit of a beer belly, but to defend myself, that's only 'cause I drink a lot of beer), weigh around 210 lbs.

What I'll be wearing
    No idea. Probably shorts, flip-flops, and some sort of drinking-related shirt (usually Tommy Bahama, but I also have a couple Margaritaville shirts as well as a Red Hook shirt).

Where I'll be
    I'll probably be wandering everywhere, but if anybody wants to get together for a drink or some Catan, I'm ready and rarin' to go!

mailboxhead2188 on
    "For here we now sit on the edge of oblivion, looking out into the distance beyond which mortal man has never conceived of words to describe...and yet, the urge to fling ourselves from its edge into the precipice and unknown is greater than ever.

Ah fuck it, why not"
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just like aaaall the other PAXes I've been to, I'm hitting this one on the lonesome - usually it's cause friends aren't around, but this year there's simply no tickets left for them! :(

22/Male/Seattlite, just finishing up college down in Santa Barbara and needing a break from the norm...

Really excited for the playable demo of Star Trek Online - if you see someone barking orders at the computer in full Starfleet regalia...not gonna lie, it's probably me :mrgreen:

Games: FPS and RTS mostly, but I'll try anything once.

Music: Radio?

Coordinates: No real direction plan, but I will spend an inordinate amount of time at the Atari booth...I do like to wear shirts from previous PAXes, so if you see a 6'2" brown-haired goatee with a Sic Parvis Magnum or Champions Online shirt, it's probably me.

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    nanaki254nanaki254 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    might as well finish mine:

20/m/seattle

Games:
    my main game is CS:S with my clanmates. Other than that it's rock band 2 / GH:WT for the wii. Or whatever I have that fills my boredom. I can't wait for SC2 and D3 though. Also a big Square-Enix fan. I'm up for a game of anything as long as it's not kiddie-based (mainly applies to the ds). Loves Tetris in the spare time (I will play it if I am in a long line at PAX, anyone can join :) )

Music: Anything, but mainly korean music, then chinese, japanese, then american.

I want to attend the LoadingReadyRun panel; pending on the line size.

nanaki254 on
    My clan: www.killazinc.net
    I sub music: My Youtube
  • Options
    aquaoneaquaone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    16/F/Cali, wait...
    31/M/Seattle-ish (Lake Forest Park to be precise)

my first PAX, going solo, 3-day pass. chances are i'll know a lot of people there and not know they're going. things tend to work that way.

i'm likely going to be gaming 80% of the time: m:tg, Dominion, Agricola, Carcassonne, Fluxx, Citadels, ... i may check out some panels but not terribly likely. i'm excited for the m:tg party, hoping it doesn't conflict too much with the concert. oh, and i'll be ducking out for Friday night to catch Richard Cheese down at the Showbox. luckily no lines because i'm on the guest list. ^_^

i do console gaming, and have a stupid huge collection (>1,000 games), but tend not to care about most games people like. i can't stand FPS, don't "get" MMOs, and don't like sports at all... so the games i get into are generally weird kitschy titles, rhythm games, or JRPGs. lately i'm playing a ton of Fat Princess and loving it.

aquaone on
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ok i posted way back early i will be flying solo but not so much anymore. However with all the seattle or well should i say local people we all might as well just start a new thread called solo seattlites - join us were really not attending solo anymore. :)

Singollo on
  • Options
    KahnorKahnor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SOmeone should hang with me!

Kahnor on
    I love the mountains, i love the bright blue skies, i love big bridges, blah blah blah blah blah blah I love the whole world, and all its sights and sounds, Boom de ya da boom de ya da boom de ya da boom de ya da- Discovery channel

Also, you just lost a chunk of your life!
  • Options
    Uno Ill NinoUno Ill Nino Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    umm when I saw the other side of his sign it said "FUCK YOU, PAY ME!"

Got a picture of that too, let me find it.

EDIT:
    IMG_1449.jpg

That's awesome!

Don't give that guy any money. Buy him a new pair of pants first, for fuck's sake.

Uno Ill Nino on
    The Moofcast! - A videogame podcast for adults.
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well " No Pants-Optional" is the new trend kids are wearing in the PNW these days....

...so I've heard. :winky:

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    IcedhopeIcedhope Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    refrag wrote: »
    Haven't done PAX in years. Will be attending alone this year and am looking to make the best of it. I'm already signed-up for the Pre-PAX Dinner and the Pub Crawl. Looking forward to meeting folks and having a geeky good time.

I do love drinking when is that?

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Well " No Pants-Optional" is the new trend kids are wearing in the PNW these days....

Pants are stupid.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    refrag wrote: »
    Haven't done PAX in years. Will be attending alone this year and am looking to make the best of it. I'm already signed-up for the Pre-PAX Dinner and the Pub Crawl. Looking forward to meeting folks and having a geeky good time.

I do love drinking when is that?

Thursday evening. Details here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=87180 :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    IcedhopeIcedhope Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    beta_angel wrote: »
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Pants are stupid.

Yes, pants are stupid.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going alone. Been doing it since '05 (I think my first was '05, whichever was the second year of PAX). But it's liberating for me because I'm not tied down to anybody else's schedules or needs. I can do whatever I want whenever I want.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    mailboxhead2188mailboxhead2188 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Ah, wish I could do the pub crawl, but I have to work at least a half-day on Friday before cashing in my chips and heading downtown (damn you, work!!!)

Last year I remember there being a decent little bar/restaurant on the first floor that I frequented during my three-days at PAX. If you see me down there, feel free to stop in and say hello - I'm planning on being at PAX around 1-ish to whenever the hell they kick me out or shut down :)

Cheers!

mailboxhead2188 on
    "For here we now sit on the edge of oblivion, looking out into the distance beyond which mortal man has never conceived of words to describe...and yet, the urge to fling ourselves from its edge into the precipice and unknown is greater than ever.

Ah fuck it, why not"
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Please, no more a/s/l stuff. I blame CalX for starting it! :)

There's an impromptu Seattle meetup thread for people looking to hang out. And check out Pre-PAX events!

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is my first PAX, and I'm going it alone. I know a few people who I'll be meeting there, but yeah. I wish I could stay for the Metroid Metal at midnight, but the buses don't run that late hah. Getting from Bellevue to Seattle and back takes awhile so meh.

Looking forward to the fun and seeing other people there!

eMDee on
    The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • Options
    ldixonldixon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is my first PAX, and I'm going it alone. I know a few people who I'll be meeting there, but yeah. I wish I could stay for the Metroid Metal at midnight, but the buses don't run that late hah. Getting from Bellevue to Seattle and back takes awhile so meh.

I'm in that situation too..By my calculation a cab should be in the $20 range. Not sure if that's out of your price range though.

ldixon on
  • Options
    eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eh it's no biggie. The thought hadn't occurred to me though. I always ride the bus around (gogo orca card) and I've never taken a cab before, honestly.

eMDee on
    The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • Options
    InbiscoInbisco Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    This is my first ever PAX and I'll be heading there alone :?

but I'm excited because I'm a closet-nerd and this is going to be my coming out party!

Well the few gamer buddies I do have were too lazy to get their passes before they sold out, so I'll be making new friends on Saturday and Sunday (can't make it on Friday due to work commitments).

I've caught on that its pretty necessary to be on twitter so hit me up on @Inbisco if you care to meet someone else to get your geek on with!

FYI, I play everything but much prefer the PC over console, and MMO's/FPS's over other genres.

Inbisco on
  • Options
    LaoLao Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I'm not here alone technically, but the friend I'm going with keeps going doing her own thing which leaves me time all by my lonesome D:

So if anyone is running around solo (or as a group who desire another lost puppy dog to follow them...me being the lost puppy dog!) do drop me a line. I'd be more than happy to explore with people and meet some good chaps. Exploring alone was good for today, but mingling with other nerds would be good too.

Anyways, as I said before, if anyone wants to meet up, drop me a line, and we can arrange a meeting spot or exchange contact info and go from there. Going to try to hit up the convention center early tomorrow and be there most of the day. Hope to hear from some folks!

EDIT: Out to PAX, probably won't be checking forums til late in the night, so text likely way I'll catch any messages today.

EDIT: Edited out my personal information now that it's over. Many thanks to the folks who contacted me, you are awesome and we'll keep in touch!

Lao on
  • Options
    squidlarkinsquidlarkin Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I registered just to post this.

I live here in Seattle (28/M), and this is my third PAX, and while I actually come across as pretty well adjusted once I open up, I'm terrible about meeting people in general and thus have barely any gamer friends. So I'm looking not just for people to hang out with at PAX but especially people who live around here and are into the same stuff I am.

Gamingwise, I like roguelikes, bullet-hell shooters, weird indie games, fighters (especially Guilty Gear and SSB), and rhythm games (I'm a Pop'n Music fiend, and I'd love to get some regular Rock Band action). I also fool around with game programming, I'm an experimental noise musician, and I read a fair bit, mostly hard SF and the more literary sort of fantasy. So if I sound awesome, text (don't call) me at two oh six six eight three eight two four six and we'll have adventures.

squidlarkin on
This discussion has been closed.