As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solid State Drives - It's the future, man

12346»

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't disagree that devices could talk to each other directly. I disagree that it would be a necessity based on some limitation imposed by a central PC, which doesn't make any sense. A peer-to-peer device would necessarily cost as much or more than a client device. A client device would be more flexible as well. If a company make peer to peer "fridge talk protocol 1.0", and another company makes peer to peer "dishwasher speak 1.1" all sorts of compatability problems are likely. If they make client devices instead, then a single program would be able to access both device's API and make them work together.

jackal on
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lets talk SSDs in the SSD thread shall we?

I just ordered 3x of the new intel X25-m G2 drives from Amazon. They support, or will support, trim and are all around the fastest drives out there. 3 of them in a raid0 gives me maxed out SATAII hard drive speeds in both directions and 240 gigs of storage. I think coupled with my new i7 laptop this should make for a great desktop replacement machine.

Sadly, newegg was GOUGING custmers hard on these drives. The ywent from 250 each to over 500 for a day or so, and now the g2s are off newegg completely!

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jubal77 on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I bet that is expensive as balls.

I plan on using one of these as my boot/app drive. A regular SSD I mean, not that PCI one.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm thinking of getting a macbook, and apple offers a 128gb ssd option for $360. seems like that's on par with better quality ssd drives of equivalent space on newegg, any opinions on it?

Kriz on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    Kriz wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a macbook, and apple offers a 128gb ssd option for $360. seems like that's on par with better quality ssd drives of equivalent space on newegg, any opinions on it?

you are so much better off getting an intel x25-m 160gb for ~450 bucks, and doing the install yourself. You get a 320 GB 2.5inch hard drive out of the apple to drop in your PS3 (if you have one), and you get sooooo much better performance than the apple offering.

seriously, Apple picked some crap SSDs in my opinion.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    syndalis wrote: »

you are so much better off getting an intel x25-m 160gb for ~450 bucks, and doing the install yourself. You get a 320 GB 2.5inch hard drive out of the apple to drop in your PS3 (if you have one), and you get sooooo much better performance than the apple offering.

Ya, according to the new anandtech article, all the retailers are using samsung drives which are balls compared to what is out there.

Is that one of the new unibody macs? Is it a bitch to change the drive? If you think you can manage it I would say hold off on their upgrade and get the intel or a vertex.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

Ya, according to the new anandtech article, all the retailers are using samsung drives which are balls compared to what is out there.

Is that one of the new unibody macs? Is it a bitch to change the drive? If you think you can manage it I would say hold off on their upgrade and get the intel or a vertex.

Yeah, and it looks like the NCQ feature of the nvidia chipset is causing a problem with the intel x-25s.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2116097&tstart=0

:?

OCZ has a special mac version of their 120gb vertex, maybe I'll just get that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227434

Kriz on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    I bet that is expensive as balls.

I plan on using one of these as my boot/app drive. A regular SSD I mean, not that PCI one.

Sequential read and write will be astronomical but access latency may be higher than a drive plugged in directly due to RAID abstraction, of course.. if they stick a big wad of SDRAM cache between the raided drives and the PCIe bus then it'd probably be pretty good as it'd hide a lot of the RAID calculation of where to stick the data etc.

I think the big test when these come out for review is seeing whether the access latency takes a hit, the sequential read and write will without a doubt be off the charts.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    WraithXt1 wrote: »

I just ordered 3x of the new intel X25-m G2 drives from Amazon. They support, or will support, trim and are all around the fastest drives out there. 3 of them in a raid0 gives me maxed out SATAII hard drive speeds in both directions and 240 gigs of storage. I think coupled with my new i7 laptop this should make for a great desktop replacement machine.

Sadly, newegg was GOUGING custmers hard on these drives. The ywent from 250 each to over 500 for a day or so, and now the g2s are off newegg completely!

Damn, that's nearly a thousand dollars. How are you going to physically fit three SSDs in your laptop? I've never owned one but my sense is that they don't typically have that kind of expansion space.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OCZ has a special mac version of their 120gb vertex, maybe I'll just get that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227434
    anandtech wrote:
    There’s a Mac Edition of the Vertex, unfortunately it’s no different than the regular drive - it just has a different sticker on it and a higher pricetag.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    WraithXt1 wrote: »

Damn, that's nearly a thousand dollars. How are you going to physically fit three SSDs in your laptop? I've never owned one but my sense is that they don't typically have that kind of expansion space.

The D900F Has room for 3 2.5 inch drives and packs a Core i7 Processor. Top it of with a mobile gtx280 and you have quite a nice little laptop.

It ended up running my up 8800ish dollars shipped. I figured with a RAID 0 array with 3x SSDs coupled with the MXM upgradable graphics card and an i7 processor I wont need to buy a new laptop for a long time.

Mind you, this is a desktop replacement laptop. I sold my desktop and laptop so I could buy this as my one and only mobile workstation (gamestation). I never really used my laptop anyway, and my desktop needed a replacement. At this point in the game I cant see a reason other than cost to get a desktop.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OremLK wrote: »

Well, but with SCSI drives, don't you still have slow access times? I thought that was one of the main attractions of the SSD--it makes your system simply feel more responsive than a spinning disk could ever do.

Plus, with SCSI, you still have to deal with SCSI. And does anybody really want to have to deal with SCSI?

And then there's obviously the heat, noise, and power issues.

For the speed and reliability it offers, I'll gladly deal with it.

SCSI drives are some of the toughest around. I have a 2GB drive that came out of my ancient HP Netserver E40. It's the original drive it shipped with back in '97 and it's still working. I took it out of regular service back in '07 when I parted the machine out, but I've since used the drive repeatedly for my swap file storage for my Win98SE video editing box (U160 SCSI based)

logic7 on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I can get a 512GB drive for $200-300 at the most, I'll be all over that shit.

In time the kinks will be flattened and ironed out and SSD will be perfect. For now I'll stick with $100 500GB platter-based HD's.
    Visti wrote: »
    "Nobody will ever need more than 640kb RAM!" - Bill Gates, 1981
    That was my yearbook quote in Senior class. Well, the correct wording at lease. "640k ought to be enough for anybody". Sadly I'll never be able to go back in time and change it to something someone actually said. Like "Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?" Though that might not be true either. Has anyone ever actually said anything people say they said?

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So, any server admins here too?

I'm considering the idea of the next time I buy a server for work of going to a bunch of SSD's in RAID6 rather than a bunch of SCSI drives.

I think using SSD's would be ridiculously good for a DB server.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It would be awesome, yes, but ye gods the cost to do that right now, or a year or two down the road, would be nuts.

Then again it is for work, so by all means. Money is no (real) object.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It would be awesome, yes, but ye gods the cost to do that right now, or a year or two down the road, would be nuts.

SCSI drives are also pretty expensive, so there shouldn't be much of a difference. Bunch of X25E'S in a RAID should do the trick.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

SCSI drives are also pretty expensive, so there shouldn't be much of a difference. Bunch of X25E'S in a RAID should do the trick.

SCSI drives are not that expensive, and the SCSI is a lot better then SATA. Really it's a moot point since SAS has replaced SCSI. The real cost here is in the controllers.
    So, any server admins here too?

I'm considering the idea of the next time I buy a server for work of going to a bunch of SSD's in RAID6 rather than a bunch of SCSI drives.

I think using SSD's would be ridiculously good for a DB server.

The benefit isn't as good as you'd think. If you want to see some crazy stuff hook up a bunch of fibre channel SSD's and then play :winky:

The problem is that all the SSD's we are talking about here, even the mighty intel SLC and vertex SLC are still consumer level drives. Enterprise SSDs over fibre channel or SAS have been around for a while, it's just expensive as all hell.

psychotix on