Options

Uncovered Parking Solutions

UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm attempting to purchase a condo before the first time homebuyer's 8k thing expires, and one that I'm looking at is beautiful, cheap, excellent location, and a former hospital so the walls are well insulated (I work nights), but it doesn't have covered parking. I've looked at some other places, but they are all less secure, less conveniently located, more expensive, smaller, and less well noise insulated, but they have covered parking, although only 1 space, rather than 2 like the previous one I mentioned. Basically, the sticking point for me right now is that the first place is perfect, but I fear that I will regret my decision every blistering hot day I enter the car thats like an oven or spend a lot of time scraping off ice.

My question is does stuff like those reflective panels or full car tarp stuff really work? Does the tarp not get frozen onto the car during winter? I'm basically just looking for some assurances, because I feel stupid for hesitating on this otherwise perfect place over a reason as seemingly silly as covered parking. Thanks for any thoughts.

Ultarune on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heat, meh, you let the car run for a few minutes and hit the AC. Or just drive with the windows down for a bit. Cold on the other hand...

The car cover will be nearly unremovable if your car gets iced. Snow won't be a problem, you can brush it off, but the thing turns into a brick when it ices, and if you want to use your car you basically have to tear it to pieces since you can't scrape ice off cloth like you can off the glass. Plus they're awful when they're wet and ride around in your trunk all day.

I lived in an apartment in Chicago for 3 years, two of which were "(ranked number) worst winter ever", and had only on-street parking. If I hadn't been close to a train, there would've been a few days I wouldn't have been able to get to work, thanks to plows piling snow up against the side of my car and it freezing into an immovable wall of ice. Yes, it is totally possible to have only outdoor parking in a place that gets a respectable snowfall each year. It's not fun when it happens, but it is possible. Millions of people do it every year. That said, I have a garage now.

I love my garage.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't really comment on the icing problem as I live in So Cal, but those windshield reflective panels don't seem to do much for the ambient interior heat on a very hot day, although it does keep the steering wheel from becoming insanely hot to the touch and protects your dashboard from cracking due to direct sunlight stress.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heats really no big deal except for the first 2 minutes you get into a car.

Ice and snow can be a pain... you usually have to leave earlier to give yourself time to dig your car out or scrap the ice off... but its not that bad.

Hopefully this doesn't apply to you, but its brutal when you live somewhere cold enough that you have to use a plug in block heater over the winter just so your car even starts. This is one of the only situations where I would really, really want covered parking.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've had uncovered parking in Minn., city of Chicago, and now in the suburbs. Does it suck some days? Yeah, but not really a deal breaker for me.

Pretty much what matthasaproblem said - it's more having a reserved or at least a lot than being outside on the street. I was buried a few times in the city, but it's been fine in our condo lot.

I highly recommend one of these scrapers.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've lived in rural Pennsylvania, Chicago, and Michigan and -- until the past few months -- have never had covered parking. It's manageable. As mentioned, heat is pretty much not an issue past the first minute or so with either air conditioning or a rolled down window. I've never used those reflective things, so I'm not sure how well they might work. And also as mentioned, you just need to give yourself extra time when there's been snow or freezing rain or whatever. Scraping the ice/snow off a car, or shoveling out the parking space enough to get out takes a few minutes but isn't really a big deal.

Daenris on
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an offer. I live in St. Louis, but used to live in Chicago, but the snowfall here is nothing compared to ole' Chicago. The heat can be blistering during the summer, and I absolutely hate arriving at my destination, especially work, with a soaked back from sweat, but I will just put up with it, because the actual condo is such a sweet deal. Thank you all for your input.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If it's such a big deal just get a remote start and remember to leave your car with your preferred climate setting when you get out.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Remote start.
    They are amazing. You just have to be sure to set your temperature when you get out of the car last.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!