As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memory stick compatibility

Waldo783Waldo783 Registered User regular
hope this is an easy question for someone to answer because I am not sure...

I bought this:

OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600EB2GK - Retail

...from NewEgg last year when I built my system. I am now looking to upgrade it by adding another one of those (I knew I should have just sprung for the 4GB in the first place) but it says the item is no longer available.

I was under the impression that it was important that your memory sticks be compatible with each other... so what should I look for to make sure that another 2GB of RAM will work in my system?

Thanks a bunch if someone can help me out!

Waldo783 on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think you have to match your memory that closely since you will be putting in another pair entirely.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Only the paired memory sticks needs to match. You should be fine.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Waldo783Waldo783 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    thanks guys

Waldo783 on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would have posted earlier but I thought this was about SD memory cards and their various form factors. Just clicked on in due to a morbid curiosity about just how many types there are.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why is it you couldn't buy one 1 meg stick of DDR2 RAM and two 512MB sticks of DDR2 and have them work together as 2 gigs? This seems like something that should have been solved by now.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Why is it you couldn't buy one 1 meg stick of DDR2 RAM and two 512MB sticks of DDR2 and have them work together as 2 gigs? This seems like something that should have been solved by now.

You can, the 1 gb stick will just be slower than the two 512 mb sticks. The way dual channel architecture works is that it interweaves data between two identical sticks of ram, which helps reduce latency when retrieving sequential chunks of data.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425