As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video transcoding & streaming server software

midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
I have a huge collection of videos on my home network and I'd like to be able to access them from anywhere with a web connection. Ideally I'm looking for something that would let me browse my videos through a web browser and stream them in the browser (flv?). Alternately something with a client would be OK, but it's paramount that the server would be able to transcode the videos since the vast majority are way too high a bitrate for me to stream on my connection.

Google searches keep turning up VLC but I'm not sure it will do what I want... at least not without some kind of helper script or something. Any ideas? Does this even exist? TVersity seems kinda close except it seems like it only streams to set-top UPNP devices.

midgetspy on

• Options
    SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Try Orb. It'll do exactly what you want (if you want to stream via flash in your browser, you have to change your settings at mycast.orb.com, settings, and select "Orb Flash Player"). Orb also has an iPhone client, which I've found to be pretty useful.

You can also browse your files with it too. Saved me a couple of times when I needed a file for class.

Skye on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, so far this seems perfect... thanks!

midgetspy on