YallYall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I still would like to get this game.

Yall on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yall wrote: »
    So how many of you are planning to grab this day 1?

I am, it's super cheap in the UK too, both play and shopto have it for £17.99.

I really wanted to like ARMA2, and I did have fun playing with the PA guys, but it was far too broken to offer anything long term, and I'd rather have something that was a little more unrealistic if it means I don't have to spend an entire game either shooting at pixels, dead or just sitting in the back of a helicopter.

Rook on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    275m is quite a lot though. It's not 275 hand or toes or whatever barbaric anthropometric measure unit you folks still cling too.
    <3
    And the guy's player character did lose some health when he got headshotted, it was not god mode.

In a world that is 225 square kilos, fuck no 275 meters is not a lot. It's miniscule.

I can come up with tons of scenarios where I might want to be > 300m away from my teammates.

Is that tether just for the console version, though? What about the PC version?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    275m sucks because i can snipe with a good sniper rifle at 700m.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

It's next on my GameFly, so if I don't have it day one, I'll have it soon.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

Not to take this too far off topic, but have they gotten better with turnaround?

Yall on
  • Options
    Katana-srKatana-sr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone have the actual source for the tether distance restriction and what it does? Planning to grab this game on launch, especially for coop, and that would be a major turn-off.

Edit: Not that I don't believe you or something, just want to read/hear it myself. I did some searching on the official forums and stuff, and couldn't find anything except a single comment by an apparent developer on the dragon rising facebook page.

Katana-sr on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Not to take this too far off topic, but have they gotten better with turnaround?

ODST was sent Monday. I'll let you know when I get it.

Sometimes it's quick, others not so much. I never even got Resident Evil 5 the first time I rented it from them.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Katana-sr wrote: »
    Does anyone have the actual source for the tether distance restriction and what it does? Planning to grab this game on launch, especially for coop, and that would be a major turn-off.

Edit: Not that I don't believe you or something, just want to read/hear it myself. I did some searching on the official forums and stuff, and couldn't find anything except a single comment by an apparent developer on the dragon rising facebook page.

I heard it from a guy who played a preview build, so maybe it was an early limitation? That's what I'm hoping at least.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

ODST was sent Monday. I'll let you know when I get it.

Sometimes it's quick, others not so much. I never even got Resident Evil 5 the first time I rented it from them.

My experience was hit or miss as well.

My biggest problem was this:

There are certain games whose day 1 lure cannot be resisted and GF's inability to deliver them with consistency was a major problem that my whole reason for doing GF in the first place was to save money by not buying games.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That's basically my reason for using it during the holidays. I knock it down to only 1 rental for the rest of the year and just put games I can't commit to on it and then send them back.

We're in the Christmas season with three games per month on the release list.

They've said they shipped me ODST, so we'll see. :(

I actually already HAVE ODST, but that's neither here nor their.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »

I heard it from a guy who played a preview build, so maybe it was an early limitation? That's what I'm hoping at least.

From what I can gather on the forums, the tether is for co-op play through the storyline. Rather than for all instances of multiplayer.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Here is a link to the first review:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380099

(Not a scan - it's posted on the Codemaster forums...)

tldr:

Conclusion: Codemasters have kept their word, they have taken their time and found a good balance between a hardcore warsim and an intense expirience. And above that the console version is almost the same as the PC. Amazing.

I don't know how reliable 'Power Unlimited' is from a review perspective though so take it for what it's worth.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's nice to hear the 360 version is on equal footing with the PC version in terms of visuals. Of course, all the videos they've shown off so far seem to be from the 360 version, as well, so I'm not too surprised. Now to debate which platform to get it on, and that'll probably come down to what the majority of people here choose.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    It's nice to hear the 360 version is on equal footing with the PC version in terms of visuals. Of course, all the videos they've shown off so far seem to be from the 360 version, as well, so I'm not too surprised. Now to debate which platform to get it on, and that'll probably come down to what the majority of people here choose.

I say 360. We reserve our PC's for when our Arma itch needs scratching. :P

edit:

Another fairly positive review, this time from OXM (UK version?):

http://ezine.oxm.co.uk/

It's sorta like a scan, but it appears to be official so I believe it's allowed.

Yall on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    275m sucks because i can snipe with a good sniper rifle at 700m.

sniping3.jpg

I staged this screenshot to show how the rangefinder works, but that's a shot at 800 meters.

I have one from a mission where I take a shot at 1 km. :winky:

(random nerd note: that scope uses the 1.5/0.5 civilian rangefinder, but it's actually zeroed for a military 1.7 rangefinder scale.)

Echo on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm pretty pumped for this game. The distance tether sounds annoying (if it's true) but I think the game has enough going for it that I can live with that. There was a review by game.co.uk up but I can only find a copy/paste of it on another forum.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=shooter&thread.id=234436

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

I say 360. We reserve our PC's for when our Arma itch needs scratching. :P

edit:

Another fairly positive review, this time from OXM (UK version?):

http://ezine.oxm.co.uk/

It's sorta like a scan, but it appears to be official so I believe it's allowed.

Sounds good then. I'll pick this up on the 360 when it's out. The release date is October 6th, huh? Everything else seems to have gotten delayed to the end of October so I'll have something to play during the beginning of the month! I'm looking forward to going through co-op with some of you peeps.

That link is pretty damn cool. Do they put every issue online like this?

Edit: Aww, they don't post the full magazine. I wanted to read more but it's only about a page worth. :(

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sounds good then. I'll pick this up on the 360 when it's out. The release date is October 6th, huh? Everything else seems to have gotten delayed to the end of October so I'll have something to play during the beginning of the month!

This is basically my reasoning right here.

It's like a cross between Bad Company and Modern Warfare and happens to come out before everything else.

If it's good, I'll keep it. If it's not, well, I'll probably get a few achievements and be done.

Sheep on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm buying this day 1 and am quite surprised by the ammount of Hate from the Arma crowd.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    1. Xbox 360 Magazine give it a 8/10
    +Massive, atmospheric location
    +Satisfying long range combatr
    +As close as you want to get to a war
    -Sometimes gets confused
    -Haphazard checkpointing
    "So compelling you will forget the quirks"

2.New trailer
    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/object...=1bsvluylha1jf
    edit: omg, there isn't any recoil. Look at 1:07, firing a burst and using a 4x acog.

3.Bad news: no JIP for coop, no information about dedicated servers, only 4 maps-missions for multiplayer (2 modes with 2 maps), but more in future DLC!!

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Basticle wrote: »
    I'm buying this day 1 and am quite surprised by the ammount of Hate from the Arma crowd.

Fanboys, of every kind, are stupid. Look in the Bohemia forum, offtopic section, flashpoint dragon rising thread for a huge thread of trolls, whiners and people enjoying every time thre is a bad news of the game.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Basticle wrote: »

Eh? Sheep made a post asking why there was no thread or hype for this, and the answer was pretty much that most of the community was already on ArmA instead. Every other post isn't that the game's going to be bad, it's largely just going to be different from the style of game that the ArmA series is (or heck, even the original game if we're looking at the dev videos).

Grief dude, just because I don't think it's going to be a bad game doesn't mean I have to worship at its feet.

subedii on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    3.Bad news: no JIP for coop, no information about dedicated servers, only 4 maps-missions for multiplayer (2 modes with 2 maps), but more in future DLC!!

Huh, what's JIP? This is standing right next to the word coop, so it has me worried.

And what's exactly meant by the 275m everyone has been bitching about? And why does the review speak of satisfying long range combat then?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    most of the community was already on ArmA instead. Every other post isn't that the game's going to be bad, it's largely just going to be different from the style of game that the ArmA series is (or heck, even the original game if we're looking at the dev videos).

yes, so if most of the community is happy with ArmA....and this game is going to be different than ArmA, why are people still making posts comparing the two games? As if people are going to suddenly be enchanted with ArmA and come play with the PA Joe crew instead of buying opflash2. I don't understand the motivation...?
    Grief dude, just because I don't think it's going to be a bad game doesn't mean I have to worship at its feet.

you can just taste the fanboy guilt. he called people out generally and you got defensive. fun times.

I believe this is the video Turin tried to link:
    http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/901428/operation-flashpoint-2/videos/OFPDR.html

it's being played on console in this video...why would you expect realistic recoil?

also:
    http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380959&page=17

There's a community manager clearly talking about how they doctor things in trailers. About 3/4 of the way down the page he talks about how they shortened the lock-on sequence for the AA missile.

Look, I'm not saying this game is guaranteed to be great, and by all means wait for demos/reviews/friends before you buy if that's what you want to do, but neither am I going to think the game is shit because of trailers...trailer style videos are almost never what actual gameplay is like. I think the "actual gameplay" quote at the end of the video is meant to signify that the scenes aren't pre-rendered. Perhaps it would be more accurate to just say "in-engine" because it's clear to me that the gameplay will be highly different...not to mention different on PC from xbox/ps3.

also:
    http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380959&page=17

There's a community manager clearly talking about how they doctor things in trailers. About 3/4 of the way down the page he talks about how they shortened the lock-on sequence for the AA missile.

Look, I'm not saying this game is guaranteed to be great, and by all means wait for demos/reviews/friends before you buy if that's what you want to do, but neither am I going to think the game is shit because of trailers...trailer style videos are almost never what actual gameplay is like. I think the "actual gameplay" quote at the end of the video is meant to signify that the scenes aren't pre-rendered. Perhaps it would be more accurate to just say "in-engine" because it's clear to me that the gameplay will be highly different...not to mention different on PC from xbox/ps3.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2009

Huh, what's JIP? This is standing right next to the word coop, so it has me worried.

Jump-in play - joining a game in progress. If you're not in the lobby when the game starts you're out.

Echo on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I loved Operation flashpoint so depending on how well reviewed the 360 version is, i may have to add it to my list of games i need to get.

Jesus my backlog is getting bigger.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Maskirovka wrote: »
    most of the community was already on ArmA instead. Every other post isn't that the game's going to be bad, it's largely just going to be different from the style of game that the ArmA series is (or heck, even the original game if we're looking at the dev videos).

yes, so if most of the community is happy with ArmA....and this game is going to be different than ArmA, why are people still making posts comparing the two games? As if people are going to suddenly be enchanted with ArmA and come play with the PA Joe crew instead of buying opflash2. I don't understand the motivation...?

you can just taste the fanboy guilt. he called people out generally and you got defensive. fun times.

The two games are pretty obviously going to be compared for reasons already stated. The "motivation" was handily described in that tiny fragment of my bit of my post that you just omitted (sheep was the one that was asking, so people answered), but that's neither here nor there. What's important is that yes, you totally figured me out on the fanboy guilt thing. I'm going to have to cut myself now.

Or you know, we could discuss this without namecalling and stuff. I'm not seeing hate for the game, just that it's being compared with its predecessor and offshoot series. That's normal.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And what's exactly meant by the 275m everyone has been bitching about? And why does the review speak of satisfying long range combat then?

Some people say that in coop multiplayer, players cannot have a distance between them that is greater than 275m.

Katana-sr on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Some people say that in coop multiplayer, players cannot have a distance between them that is greater than 275m.

Have any of the reviews actually mentioned this so far? If it's just from one early source it's looking more and more like it might not be true.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nope, I'm still wondering too.

Katana-sr on
  • Options
    MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or you know, we could discuss this without namecalling and stuff. I'm not seeing hate for the game, just that it's being compared with its predecessor and offshoot series. That's normal.

I agree it's normal...except for the fact that everyone including yourself is making the point that this game will obviously not really follow the path of the original since Bohemia are not the developers and they've already made ArmA 1/2...which this game is not. People are comparing the game to ArmA, they're not comparing it to opflash1...which would be difficult since it's quite old.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I agree it's normal...except for the fact that everyone including yourself is making the point that this game will obviously not really follow the path of the original since Bohemia are not the developers and they've already made ArmA 1/2...which this game is not. People are comparing the game to ArmA, they're not comparing it to opflash1...which would be difficult since it's quite old.

People are comparing the game to Arma? Well, yeah, ArmA's the spiritual sequel to OpFl as well (i.e. what I was calling the offshoot series). The ArmA series is pretty much just the principles of OpFl taken and evolved along logical lines. And bugs. Lots of bugs

I never made the point that since Bohemia weren't developing this it could never be a "true" sequel. That kind of logic is for the Fallout crew. Actually I was really hopeful that OpFl 2 would follow in the footsteps of number 1 quite closely, at least until I saw the dev playthrough. The original gameplay mechanics + a crapton of polish and lack of bugs would be pretty awesome. After seeing the dev walkthrough linked though, it's looking more and more like a pretty different take on things. This is not something bad, but it does warrant saying, because it is a sequel to the first game.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Have any of the reviews actually mentioned this so far? If it's just from one early source it's looking more and more like it might not be true.

It's pretty much confirmed by people through the official message boards.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I believe this is the video Turin tried to link:
    http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/901428/operation-flashpoint-2/videos/OFPDR.html

it's being played on console in this video...why would you expect realistic recoil?

Opps, thanks fo the correct link.

And i read that all the videos are recorded from the pc version...

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rook wrote: »

That might actually be a deal breaker if true. Seriously, there shouldn't be any restrictions like this in these sort of games.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'm asking again, can you give a source? I have also seen users talking about the tether restriction on the official boards, but no official statement or piece of information that actually says that a restriction of this kind exists. Where are people getting this information from?

I looked at the coop videos that have been published. They look pretty awesome, and there is a small circle in the lower right corner of the hud, it seems to be a kind of buddy radar. And yes, the players always stick close together in the videos, but I still can't see a restriction.

Edit:

Okay, so I finally got annoyed enough by this to rummage through the forums until I found the source of these rumors.
    Based on statements by the community manager on the official boards, Helios (http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379550&page=8 and throughout that thread), it seems to be like this:

If you play the single player campaign in coop, a tether is active so that players can experience scripted sequences together. If you exceed the tether distance, you will be warned and then killed.
    If you create a coop mission in the editor, there is no tether. You will be restricted by the playable area that was defined in the creation process. It seems you can never walk freely across the entire island in multiplayer.

Katana-sr on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'm asking again, can you give a source? I have also seen users talking about the tether restriction on the official boards, but no official statement or piece of information that actually says that a restriction of this kind exists. Where are people getting this information from?

I looked at the coop videos that have been published. They look pretty awesome, and there is a small circle in the lower right corner of the hud, it seems to be a kind of buddy radar. And yes, the players always stick close together in the videos, but I still can't see a restriction.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5524168&postcount=72
    Helios
    Community Manager

A COG representative has posted in this thread

Firstly just wanted to point out that when playing in co-op all the human players are in the same fireteam, just it seemed that some people thought that in co-op each human player commanded their own fireteam which is not the case.

Due to technical constraints the tether distance in co-op is 275m, but this shouldn't impact at all on the realism of the game, as in reality USMC 4 man fireteams are trained to stick together as a unit and support each other without becoming separated by too great a distance.

Also I can confirm that in SP the tether is not present and you can separate as far you'd like from your other fireteam members if you wish, though of course this is not recommended and will normally result in a quick death!

I believe community manager is an official posting.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sad news indeed. So no sniper supporting his mates from a kilometer or even 500 meters out. Also no air support by your fellow players, at least not in the campaign.

Katana-sr on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Edit:

Okay, so I finally got annoyed enough by this to rummage through the forums until I found the source of these rumors.
    Based on statements by the community manager on the official boards, Helios (http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379550&page=8 and throughout that thread), it seems to be like this:

If you play the single player campaign in coop, a tether is active so that players can experience scripted sequences together. If you exceed the tether distance, you will be warned and then killed.
    If you create a coop mission in the editor, there is no tether. You will be restricted by the playable area that was defined in the creation process. It seems you can never walk freely across the entire island in multiplayer.

See, that's fine. I don't mind that. It makes sense.
    Even so, if you were a sniper in single player it'd be a boring boring game to play, and probably difficult to tell your squad where to go when they're on the fronline.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png