As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventures in Formatting

EncEnc A Fool with CompassionPronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Good morning, H/A!

I need to reformat my computer, but I don't have the XP disk that came with this guy back in 2003. Any ideas of how I could get the ability to format my computer without finding someone else with a disk? I've pretty much run into a wall on options here, as almost all of my friends are on Macs or out of the country.

Thanks!

Enc on

• Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just for clarification, by reformat you mean wipe the computer and then install windows XP?

OR do you just mean wipe the data off the hard drive so you can sell it or use it as an external hard drive or various other non-operating-system related tasks?

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wipe and Reinstall. I use the PC for pretty much all of my gaming needs and I won't be able to afford a new computer for another six months.

Enc on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How were you planning on reinstalling windows after formatting if you don't have your disk?

If you want to use your existing Windows CD-Key (which I assume you've got stuck to the top of your case, or at least written down somewhere), you'll need to find your old disk, or get a copy of the same version.

Windows CD-Keys are specific to disk versions btw, so a Windows XP Pro SP1 retail disk won't work with a Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM CD-Key for example.

Spam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spam wrote: »
    How were you planning on reinstalling windows after formatting if you don't have your disk?

If you want to use your existing Windows CD-Key (which I assume you've got stuck to the top of your case, or at least written down somewhere), you'll need to find your old disk, or get a copy of the same version.

Windows CD-Keys are specific to disk versions btw, so a Windows XP Pro SP1 retail disk won't work with a Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM CD-Key for example.

That's kinda my problem. I have my key on my case, but no disk and no one in my contact sphere with the same version as me (all Mac or Vista). It's an old machine. : /

Are there resources for the various system cds? The Windows website has not been helpful.

Enc on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Call MS. They deal with this fairly often.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if its a prebuilt system like a dell, you can request a copy of your install disks from them for either free or cheap

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    if its a prebuilt system like a dell, you can request a copy of your install disks from them for either free or cheap

Dell is telling me that since the machine is so old they will require $50 for the replacement cds plus shipping. That seems a bit much, since I could almost buy a new copy of Windows for that. Ugh. I'm going to try the Windows hotline on my lunch break. Hopefully they will be more helpful.

Enc on