As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sinister Sinestro MOTW 9-30-09

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Graphic Violence
GL #46:

This is interesting because I think the people in the star sapphire crystal have never been identified, but it's Hawkman and Hawgirl's original bodies:

GL46a.jpg

They then destroy the planet, so the Indigo teleports Hal, Sintestro, and Carol to Korugar where Mongul fights Sinestro. A big fight, with the big moment here:

GL46b.jpg

GL46e.jpg

And then the Yellow Power Battery arrives and Sinestro throws Mongul in there so as not to kill him (yet). Sinestro declares himself leader of the Black Lantern resistance and then Abin and Arin Sur show up.

Johns seems to be moving Sinestro into redeeming territory with this issue (Korugar thinks he's there savior now)

And Runaways #14 has a completely misleading cover.

TexiKen on

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I literally spent years waiting to catch up on Green Lantern and dodging spoilers.

Now that I'm caught up, I'm pretty much willing to ruin GL for myself but not GLC or actual Blackest Night.

Although I didn't really think issue 45 brought anything at all to the table, 43 and 44 were great supplements to Blackest Night, and this issue looks to be the same. Johns is doing pretty well at balancing the books so far. Hope he keeps it up.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm on vacation right now, visiting my brother and won't be getting this week's books until next week.

So my MotW will have to be based on the trades I bought and read for the trip.

Secret Six -- I read the whole first trade of this and was blown away by how good it was. I haven't read anything at all with these villains in it. They were all competely new characters to me, and by the end of the 7th issue, all of them had really grown on me quite a bit. Also, the big ending on the bridge was pretty damn awesome.

Y: The Last Man -- I read the first trade of this and was pretty blown away by the depth of the story. I didn't really have any expectations going into this book, other than a friend telling me it was really good. I really enjoyed the first volume and am looking forward to reading more of it on the return journey home later this week.

One final note: I'm visiting Toronto. I heard The Silver Snail is a good comic shop. I might try to make it out there before I leave. Are there any other shops worth seeing, or any that are better? I don't have a lot of opportunity on this trip to browse comic shops so I need to make the most of my time.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    One final note: I'm visiting Toronto. I heard The Silver Snail is a good comic shop. I might try to make it out there before I leave. Are there any other shops worth seeing, or any that are better? I don't have a lot of opportunity on this trip to browse comic shops so I need to make the most of my time.

Yeah great store, probably the best you'll find out there. Hope you like action figures.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't understand the Sinestro Crops ... I havent read any of it but are they trying to make the universe better? Kill off all the Green Lanterns?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think you can distill their creed into, 'Fear and obey us and you'll be just fine.' Obviously, certainly other galactic factions take exception.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I don't understand the Sinestro Crops ... I havent read any of it but are they trying to make the universe better? Kill off all the Green Lanterns?

The rule of fear is the strongest rule and is the path to a more orderly, more disciplined universe.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To instill fear is to instill order is Sinestro's motto. He wants order... doesn't really care about peace and happiness.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thor was awesome. Lots of plot movement, and pretty funny to boot.

"What's this coat made of? Rabbit? Fox?"

"Unicorn."

"There's no such thing as unicorns."

"No. Well, not after we finished turning them into coats. We had no idea there were so few of them."

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Silver Snail is well worth visiting, Lucascraft. On the bottom floor they have a very nice back issue section, alongside a very healthy collection of new releases. Upstairs there are toys, roleplaying material, and posters and the like. Just be prepared to surrender your backpack or any bags you're carrying when you enter the store to the front cashier. Because of the small aisles, thieves used to love the place.

Still awaiting my MOTW, as I'm still too sick to go the store without infecting everyone with Skrull flu.

KidDork on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gotham City Sirens #4 is a good issue, very much full of TAS-isms (Joker is back though and apparently has gotten rid of his David Bowie tongue-cut-in-two ways). And Guillem March's art is great, and Jose Villarrubia deserves massive phat stupid props for the coloring in this issue, it's fantastic. I would buy a comic for this guy's coloring alone:

Hush plans to kill Harley by pushing her off a building, when we have this:

GSC4a.jpg

GSC4b.jpg

And then the Joker's henchmen try to kill Harley for dating Bruce/Hush, and the Sirens save her and Hush, in an attempt to kill the Sirens, brings down the Joker's blimp, and is a hero.

And then Harley thinks about Joker loving her because only he would kill her like that if he really loved her:

GSC4c.jpg

GSC4d.jpg

and then boom!

And a nice twist in Superman #692:
    Princess Projectra is a sleeper Legion member on the Science Police squad with Guardian and Mon-El trying to do whatever they're doing in this time

TexiKen on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh man I almost walked right by Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu #1 and that would have been the worst mistake. The race against deadpool was good, but the second story where he swordfights the guy out for revenge was priceless.

I am kind of surprised to see something this random from Marvel. I think I have to give the fight in the second story in Shang Chi my MOTW, but New Mutants also delivered way harder than expected (especially with Zachary Baldus art), so my runner up motw is feeling optimistic about new mutants and necrosha both.

edit: Runner up MOTW for third place: spider-man and black cat are my OTP and I don't care what anyone says.

desc on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, Shang Chi was great. I'd love to see him get the reinvention treatment next.

Munch on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Silver Snail is pretty awesome.

At a one of Kevin Smith's Toronto Q/A Sessions, someone asked him when he was going to open a Secret Stash here. He replies "You don't need one, you have the Silver Snail."

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmm, I'm going to toronto for thanksgiving next week. Ill have to check out this Silver Snail.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thanksgiving is next week?

what

Faynor on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've barely begun to start going through my stack, but so far

X-Factor #49
    The exchange between Richtor and Guido(and then Shatterstar) in the van was worth a few laughs. And Doom calling Cyclops "Mr. Clops"(and just generally acting like he's nuts to get what he wants) was also fun.

Secret Warriors #8
    Phobos cutting loose on Osborn.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    thanksgiving is next week?

what

Canadian Thanksgiving. When we celebrate the start of the new hockey season.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've barely begun to start going through my stack, but so far

X-Factor #49
    The exchange between Richtor and Guido(and then Shatterstar) in the van was worth a few laughs. And Doom calling Cyclops "Mr. Clops"(and just generally acting like he's nuts to get what he wants) was also fun.

Secret Warriors #8
    Phobos cutting loose on Osborn.

Those were probably my two moments. I might scan them if I'm feeling sassy tomorrow.

"Don't call me Mr. Clops."

Faynor on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

The rule of fear is the strongest rule and is the path to a more orderly, more disciplined universe.

They're Space NAZIs without the racism.

Hence why Sinestro looks like Hitler now.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X-Force felt kinda dumb with
    X-23 running around with her severed arm

and i really hope the next issue doesn't have like 30 Laura clones, because that will be really disappointing

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Gotham City Sirens #4 is a good issue, very much full of TAS-isms (Joker is back though and apparently has gotten rid of his David Bowie tongue-cut-in-two ways). And Guillem March's art is great, and Jose Villarrubia deserves massive phat stupid props for the coloring in this issue, it's fantastic. I would buy a comic for this guy's coloring alone:

Hush plans to kill Harley by pushing her off a building, when we have this:

[IMGp]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt115/TexiKen/GSC4a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGp]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt115/TexiKen/GSC4b.jpg[/IMG]

And then the Joker's henchmen try to kill Harley for dating Bruce/Hush, and the Sirens save her and Hush, in an attempt to kill the Sirens, brings down the Joker's blimp, and is a hero.

And then Harley thinks about Joker loving her because only he would kill her like that if he really loved her:

[IMGp]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt115/TexiKen/GSC4c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGp]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt115/TexiKen/GSC4d.jpg[/IMG]

and then boom!

And a nice twist in Superman #692:
    Princess Projectra is a sleeper Legion member on the Science Police squad with Guardian and Mon-El trying to do whatever they're doing in this time

Is it weird that I read his first line from Sirens completely in Hamills voice?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I agree with the GL:Blackest Night nod and also Zombie Sentry calling Zombie Pym a "Degenerate wife beater"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm very much confused by the ending of Marvel Zombies Return #5 can someone clarify what happened?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thunderbolts was really awesome this week, am really liking Ghost, unfortunately don't ever see him going up against the big leaguers but hes pulling his weight in TB at least. The whole internal fight was really good and nice to see between people who can't blow holes in buildings.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm very much confused by the ending of Marvel Zombies Return #5 can someone clarify what happened?
    The infected Sentry was sent back in time to start the infection in the first book.
    (The first book has Sentry somehow appearing in their world and eating everyone)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    The infected Sentry was sent back in time to start the infection in the first book.
    (The first book has Sentry somehow appearing in their world and eating everyone)

So
    it'll just keep ending with a cycle of Sentry being sent back and only eating that universe again and again? Thats a bit sad

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

So
    it'll just keep ending with a cycle of Sentry being sent back and only eating that universe again and again? Thats a bit sad

It's certainly a creative way to quarantine the infection.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

So

It's certainly a creative way to quarantine the infection.

Tragic though. And doesn't deal with the ones that snuck into the main world and I don't recall
    Sentrys memories being removed

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I stopped in the Silver Snail today. It was pretty sweet. Definitely much larger than any of the comic shops I have access to in Kansas City. Was well worth the trip into the city to see it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So I stopped in the Silver Snail today. It was pretty sweet. Definitely much larger than any of the comic shops I have access to in Kansas City. Was well worth the trip into the city to see it.

This make me happy.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Power girl continues to be awesome. I'm really enjoying this series.

Also, I really liked Secret Warriors #8.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    Power girl continues to be awesome. I'm really enjoying this series.

Also, I really liked Secret Warriors #8.

Powergirl is a lot of fun, I got that and the Secret Origins, Superman this week.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

This make me happy.
    This also makes me happy....

And my moment of the week is from Secret Warriors #8. The scene with Alex and Norman, and the little smirk Ares gives afterwards.

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I live in Lawrence (just moved here). Do you know of any shops in the area, or is Topeka going to be my closest fix?

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why dont you call the comic shop locator number?

KVW on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My MOTW was the Dark Reign: The Hood mini, basically for the entire run he's had people questioning him, double crossing him and generally dicking about while he's trying to give up The Hood and get free of Dormamun (however the hell it's spelled)
    Sorry about the resolution, photobucket is chopping everything down pretty heavily.

Everything has come to a head and he's facing down White Fang (wife of the guy he accidentally killed in the first Hood mini) and Force, a Z list hero who's been brutalizing his crew. Force has challenged him to a 1v1 battle and Parker is using this as an opportunity to prove himself to his gang.

DR_-_The_Hood_005_019.jpg

DR_-_The_Hood_005_020.jpg

Things come to a head and Satana tells Parker that the Hood was simply a token of his pact with Dormamu and that not using/destroying the hood itself was pointless.

This leads to Parker sending away his cousin John because Parker doesn't think he's reliable anymore

DR_-_The_Hood_005_024.jpg

I just love that The Hood basically has the standard secret identity superhero thing going on but inverted.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did anybody get that 80 page JLA special? My LCS didnt pull it and it was sold out by the time I picked up my books today. Is it worth tracking down?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Did anybody get that 80 page JLA special? My LCS didnt pull it and it was sold out by the time I picked up my books today. Is it worth tracking down?

I got it. It was enjoyable. Mostly it was short stories of the JLA meeting assorted characters from the past(most who I didn't actually recognise, but I'm sure they have some history). There were some fun moments, like
    discovering that Ollie decided not to mess with the space/time continuum because it was on an episode of Star Trek
    . The ending may be revisited in the future, so it's had to say if it will be required reading further on. I would say, if you see it, snag it, but don't bother going out of your way to find it.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can someone summarize Runaways for me?
    Did Gertcome back?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can someone summarize Runaways for me?
    Did Gertcome back?

Someone who looked like her was in like two panels and Chase running after her caused him to get hit by a truck. He is now in intensive care and none of the rest of the group know where he is. That's all there was to that so far.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg