As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limited or no Connectivity from Laptop to Router

thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Man, i don't know what i did but here's the scenario.

I have an I book , I Mac, and Sony Vaio in front of me. The Ibook was my main use for configuring my D link router configurations. It's connected to my wireless network. The I mac was just a hardline back up connected to my router as well. The Vaio has a problem with Connecting to the internet completely!

I was working on my Vaio and trying to connect to the wireless network just gives me a "limited or no connectivity" promt. Did a Command Promt ipconfig /all and looked at the IP addresses and the router wasn't assigning anything to my laptop. So, I booted up my Ibook and went to my httpL//192.xxx.x.x site through there and looked at the configurations. I read some help stuff on the net , one of them involved me changing the WEP security off for a minute and try to connect that way.

I turned off WEP and it still didn't connect. Only when I did that the Ibook also disconnected from the internet. So now the Ibook isn't connecting to the internet. I tried to make the changes back to WEP but my internet page is displaying a bunch of "?" where the images were. And Airport is showing me connctivity and showing my wireless router but the Status is "Not availible" I can't get online with my Ibook anymore.

Can anyone lend a hand?

xbl tag: Dynamis King
MineCraft: Menetherin
Steam: Vloeza_SE++

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Okay, fixed the Ibook problem
    (I hardlined the Ibook and got to the internet that way)

Now, back to my main problem

My Sony Vaio wont connect to the internet.

Specs on the Laptop are

Sony Vaio 2.7G Pentium 4
    Service Pack 2
    Using an external Wireless card Note Book Adaptor Wireless - B 2.4GHZ 802.1B

My Router is a D link Airplus Extreme G Wireless 2.5GGz Wireless Router

I tried everything. Restarting the Router. Nothing

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Anyone have any help for "Limited Or No Connectivity" promts from my laptop to my wireless network?
    > Even links are cool. Im out of ideas..

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Limited or no connectivity could mean a lot of things, but generally means the router is linked but will not give the laptop an IP address, or that the IP address the laptop has can't talk to the router. Assign your laptop a static IP within the router's internal range (or just set it to automatic if it isn't already). Let me know how much sense this does or does not make to you.

Yar on
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What IP is your Vaio pulling from your router? Is it a 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x, or 127.0.0.1? It does sound like your router is not sending a valid IP to your PC.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I'm betting that Vaio has a static IP on it from whatever network it used to be on. Set it to automatic. Go to Network connections in the control panel, rt-clck the network adapter we're talking about, go to Properties, then select TCP/IP and click the Properties button, and set those two radio buttons to "automatically." OK out of everything.

If it's already automatic, then perhaps the opposite is true. Perhaps your other machines have appropriate statics and your router won't give out dynamics. In that case, find the IP on you mac and give your Vaio a similar one (with the same DNS).

Yar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ipconfig /all

gives me

Wireless B notebook adaptoer
    Description
    Physical address 00-13-10-15-f2-c7
    DHCP enabled - No (Is this unusual?)
    IP Address 192.168.0.10
    subnetnask 255.255.255.0

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah that is odd.

Your internet, do you have a cable modem or DSL router?

Because it seems that you need to change your D-Link from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's not odd, he has a static IP and it probably isn't on the D-Link's network. Change it. Or just do what I said in the last post. Set it to automatic.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    its Cable modem.

What's weird. Don't know if you think this was a good move. But just for kicks I changed the IP on my laptop to 192 168 0 1 in the laptop. i noticed on the D link configuarion screen that starting IP address is 192 168 0 100 and ending address is 192 168 0 199 so i choose a number between 100 and 199 and it said COnnected but the internet still didnt work..

I put it back though

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Do this:
    netsh interface ip set address name="Wireless B notebook adapter" source=dhcp
    ipconfig Wireless* /renew

This will set the interface to get an IP automatically. The renew probably isn't necessary, but it will make sure it grabs a new one from the router.

(P.S., The Internet works, I promise, just not your connection to it :))

Yar on