As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NC20 Win7x64? (numbers and letters!)

AmpersandAmpersand United StatesRegistered User regular
So I've been running the 32bit Win 7 on my shiny new-ish Samsung Nc20 for a few months now and on this launch-eve I find myself at a loss as to whether or not I should install the 64bit version come tomorrow.

Other threads/forums have been no help at all (surprise!).

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Questions you might be able to answer include:

Will I still be able to run x32 software?

Are the necessary drivers available?

Is it even worth the hassle if I only have 2GB of Ram?

(Bonus points for Pro/Con Lists!)

Thanks!

Ampersand on

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've got the 64 bit version running on my desktop. It seems faster than the 32 bit version. It will run 32 bit software and the only driver I've had issues with is my sound card driver, but that's probably because it's a cheapo onboard one.

wmelon on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ampersand wrote: »
    So I've been running the 32bit Win 7 on my shiny new-ish Samsung Nc20 for a few months now and on this launch-eve I find myself at a loss as to whether or not I should install the 64bit version come tomorrow.

Other threads/forums have been no help at all (surprise!).

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Questions you might be able to answer include:

Will I still be able to run x32 software?

Are the necessary drivers available?

Is it even worth the hassle if I only have 2GB of Ram?

(Bonus points for Pro/Con Lists!)

Thanks!

Yes, you can run 32-bit software
    Yes the drivers should be available
    No it's not worth it if you only have 2GB of RAM, or a CPU that slow

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It is worth it if you plan to upgrade at some point in the future.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    AmpersandAmpersand United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh good point!

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.. any primary sources or first-person experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Ampersand on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I switched from 32-bit to 64-bit on my laptop.

The biggest hurdle was reinstalling everything, which took me a day with some careful planning. I haven't noticed any speed increases, though I'm probably not sensitive enough to tell even if there were any.

I've had no problems with drivers yet, despite using an odd assortment of devices. I venture that you should exercise caution if you have some archaic printer lying around that you really love, though.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif