As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are spoiler votes really a legit concern?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    In states with open primaries, do you get to vote for both parties? I see the need to prevent spoiler votes, but I'm not keen on the idea of needing to register with a party to vote for its candidate, either.

I don't think you should be able to vote for both. You can spoiler the opposition or support your own first choice, not both.
    You get a choice between a Democratic ballot or a Republican ballot, not both.

And re: that article about reforming the primary system. I don't know where McKinnon got the idea that the GOP electorate in either Arizona or Colorado is moderate. If you need a state with a fairly moderate Republican party outside of the northeast it's going to be difficult. Maybe Florida, but they're primarying Crist so maybe not.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In states with open primaries, do you get to vote for both parties? I see the need to prevent spoiler votes, but I'm not keen on the idea of needing to register with a party to vote for its candidate, either.

I don't think you should be able to vote for both. You can spoiler the opposition or support your own first choice, not both.

No, you just don't have to register with a party before hand. You can walk into the polling place and tell them you want the Democratic ballot, the Republican ballot, or just the one with referendums and such.

moniker on
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »

You get a choice between a Democratic ballot or a Republican ballot, not both.

And re: that article about reforming the primary system. I don't know where McKinnon got the idea that the GOP electorate in either Arizona or Colorado is moderate.

C'mon, choose Colorado. The Colorado with Focus on the Family, the anti-tax crazies, and a caucus system just like Iowa does.

The Colorado GOP began really screwing up in 2000, and it's been mostly downhill since then.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Last October when I was nailbiting over the Clinton/Obama race most people here were certainly worried about it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Josh Marshall points to an interesting article from Michael Smerconish.
    Republican political consultant Mark McKinnon, who has worked with George W. Bush and John McCain, suggested prioritizing Western states like Arizona and Colorado, as well as Northeastern states like Connecticut.

Yeah, just because Connecticut hasn't voted Republican for President since 1988, and only one state in the entirety of New England has since 1992, doesn't mean that the GOP can't win Vermont and Maine again, both of which voted for Obama by at least 15%.

Which isn't his point, it's that if you let Connecticut Republicans have a significant say, you're going to get a candidate who can win moderates in states like Pennsylvania or Ohio.
    Somehow I forgot about that. But I still think he's wrong, because someone who's selected by a more moderate group of Republicans isn't going to fire up the base enough to win in November. You need the middle, yes, but you also need to make sure the party faithful like the candidate enough to volunteer and vote.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Last October when I was nailbiting over the Clinton/Obama race most people here were certainly worried about it.
    McCain almost certainly won Michigan in 2000 because Democrats wanted to deny their Republican governor a cushy cabinet appointment. Romney may have won Michigan eight years later because of Democratic votes (who wanted to keep him in the race). I know there are other examples but those are the two that come to mind.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Republican political consultant Mark McKinnon, who has worked with George W. Bush and John McCain, suggested prioritizing Western states like Arizona and Colorado, as well as Northeastern states like Connecticut.

Yeah, just because Connecticut hasn't voted Republican for President since 1988, and only one state in the entirety of New England has since 1992, doesn't mean that the GOP can't win Vermont and Maine again, both of which voted for Obama by at least 15%.

Which isn't his point, it's that if you let Connecticut Republicans have a significant say, you're going to get a candidate who can win moderates in states like Pennsylvania or Ohio.
    Somehow I forgot about that. But I still think he's wrong, because someone who's selected by a more moderate group of Republicans isn't going to fire up the base enough to win in November. You need the middle, yes, but you also need to make sure the party faithful like the candidate enough to volunteer and vote.

The base is dumb. They'll vote for any schmuck with an R next to his name as long as he says the right things about abortion and taxes.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah, but that doesn't mean those concerns were legitimate.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You don't want to piss them off, but not catering to them and having a Palin on the ticket doesn't mean they aren't going to vote or stop giving a damn. The risk of people staying home out of a lack of enthusiasm, rather than expecting a 'sure thing' seems overblown to me.

moniker on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The base is dumb. They'll vote for any schmuck with an R next to his name as long as he says the right things about abortion and taxes.

:^:

And woe to any fellow who should stray but a goddamn inch from that base.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

No, they won't. They certainly won't vote for anyone else, but they may well be disgusted with their nominee to forego voting entirely, and they certainly won't be as motivated to help his campaign.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No, they won't. They certainly won't vote for anyone else, but they may well be disgusted with their nominee to forego voting entirely, and they certainly won't be as motivated to help his campaign.

They can't win with only their base though, the base they are appealing to is too small to win. Someone too close to the base means the moderates in the party stay home. Someone closer to the moderates get their vote as well as most of the base's vote because they can't let those damn liberals win!

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's just like in Virginia. No one is particularly passionate about Deeds, even if McDonnel is ...not an ideal candidate.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah, but that doesn't mean those concerns were legitimate.

Yeah, as I recall, the spoiler votes didn't have that discernible an effect on the outcome of any election. Pennsylvania was the big worrisome state, and even then, Obama did much better than the polls were expecting.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's just like in Virginia. No one is particularly passionate about Deeds, even if McDonnel is ...not an ideal candidate.
    Man, Deeds is such a disappointment. He really did reject the Kaine/Obama path to victory. So much for come from behind primary win = good candidate.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

They can't win with only their base though, the base they are appealing to is too small to win. Someone too close to the base means the moderates in the party stay home. Someone closer to the moderates get their vote as well as most of the base's vote because they can't let those damn liberals win!

But there's a limited space in which you can move away from the base and still be gaining votes; in today's GOP, I think that space is quite small.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That was a special case, with a tight primary on one side, and a crazy, angry, and well mobilized base on the other looking for a way to start dirty tricks early. Even then it ended up not coming to anything, and it almost never will. People like us, really passionate and extremely involved, might be willing to metagame it and try and screw the other side, but most people jsut don't care enough and they'll vote for who they really want regardless of strategic concerns, if they care enough to vote at all.

The real problem with completely open universal primaries is you're basically just skipping straight to a really sloppy version of the general election without a primary. If you're willing to do that you might as well just implement any number of better multi-candidate general election systems and call it a day.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    IMO you should at least take the time to register as a member of a party if you want a say in who they nominate.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man, Deeds is such a disappointment. He really did reject the Kaine/Obama path to victory. So much for come from behind primary win = good candidate.
    He pulled a Kerry basically. The number two decided to take down the number one who'd blasted to a too early lead and then been steadily chipped away at (Moran burning McAuliffe was Gephardt killing Dean in 04), leaving the distant third place standing for the win.

werehippy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I am really pissed about how he has waged the campaign.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    He pulled a Kerry basically. The number two decided to take down the number one who'd blasted to a too early lead and then been steadily chipped away at (Moran burning McAuliffe was Gephardt killing Dean in 04), leaving the distant third place standing for the win.

Well, and then he ran a hugely negative campaign.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Because, like Kerry, he had no idea what the hell he was doing because he didn't build up properly in the pre-game. Kerry was an overly passive, pompous asshat. Deeds has apparently been ... whatever the hell he's been. Though I give him credit for trying to fluff the transportation issue. I'm not sure he should have made McDonnell's thesis and transportation his entire campaign, but at least he hasn't tried to sugar caot things on the issues.

werehippy on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

But there's a limited space in which you can move away from the base and still be gaining votes; in today's GOP, I think that space is quite small.

Which seems to me to suggest that they should just jettison the base; it's gotten so small and insular that there's no winning with them.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Because, like Kerry, he had no idea what the hell he was doing because he didn't build up properly in the pre-game. Kerry was an overly passive, pompous asshat. Deeds has apparently been ... whatever the hell he's been. Though I give him credit for trying to fluff the transportation issue. I'm not sure he should have made McDonnell's thesis and transportation his entire campaign, but at least he hasn't tried to sugar caot things on the issues.
    Transportation is basically the Northern Virginia issue, which is basically who he needs to vote for him to win.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

Which seems to me to suggest that they should just jettison the base; it's gotten so small and insular that there's no winning with them.
    But they can't. The base is the GOP; they pick the candidates and ultimately call the shots, they're not going to just leave even if the GOP establishment wants them to.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, one reason Deeds has always been down is every single pollster is assuming a sizeable chunk of Obama voters aren't going to bother; I think the smallest margin I've seen is 51-46 McCain. I'm really not sure that assumption is completely justified.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, one reason Deeds has always been down is every single pollster is assuming a sizeable chunk of Obama voters aren't going to bother; I think the smallest margin I've seen is 51-46 McCain. I'm really not sure that assumption is completely justified.
    Seeing as Deeds has completely neglected NoVa, instead focusing on winning over "Reagan Democrats" in the rest of the state, I think it probably is.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

It's small and insular, but 25-30% of the country isn't something you can just throw away. Especially since if you let it go someone else will inevitably pick it up. Either someone else on your side if you decide to get squeamish, or the other side if you make a sustained and unified effort to repudiate them. Just look at what happened to the moderate republicans in the south and plain states the last decade and the democrats after the civil rights movement respectively.

Stupid, xenophobic, and militant is a segment of the population that doesn't just go away. What we should be concerned about is that we seem to be breeding ever more virulent strains, between homeschooling, social/media polarization, and at this point basically divergent views of not just policy or theory, but outright literal reality.

werehippy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saying you'd consider opting out of the public option when that's the Dem base's key issue nationally right now...

poor plan.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    IMO you should at least take the time to register as a member of a party if you want a say in who they nominate.

Why?

moniker on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Why?

Because it's the party deciding who they're gonna put forth in the coming election.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why?

Because it's the party deciding who they're gonna put forth in the coming election.

That doesn't really answer my question. If you want the party to pick its nominees themselves then do away with the primary system entirely and go back to smoke filled rooms.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    People who aren't invested enough in the party to register as its members (in states where you can do that) should not be deciding what the party does.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    People who aren't invested enough in the party to register as its members (in states where you can do that) should not be deciding what the party does.

Why?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why?
    Because if you want to choose a candidate for a party you should at least be invested in that party enough to call yourself a member.

That said, I also think that you should be able to register or reregister to vote on election day.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Why?

Because it's not your party. The person selected by the primaries represents the party. If you are not a member of that party, he is not representing you, so you don't get a say. That's why the state of Texas can't drive up to vote against Barney Frank.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why?
    Because if you want to choose a candidate for a party you should at least be invested in that party enough to call yourself a member.

I'm not seeing it. This isn't a primary to determine who gets to run as the President of Republicans, but the President of the United States. Why shouldn't I be able to influence that process in order to ensure the person that I feel is best qualified winds up in the office?

moniker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But they can't. The base is the GOP; they pick the candidates and ultimately call the shots, they're not going to just leave even if the GOP establishment wants them to.

They are in NY-23, to the point where the Democrats might well steal a deep red seat out from under the GOP's noses and the base doesn't even seem to care.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Why?

Because it's not your party. The person selected by the primaries represents the party. If you are not a member of that party, he is not representing you, so you don't get a say. That's why the state of Texas can't drive up to vote against Barney Frank.

You're mixing your metaphors. This isn't talking about people influencing people who don't represent them, it's about people influences people who do represent them. It's a national office, and I reside in the nation. Why should I be excluded from influencing who gets on the ballot?

moniker on
This discussion has been closed.