Options

Wireless internet issue

mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
Crossposted with H/A earlier, because I forgot this forum was here.

We're currently running 4 computers in our house, all connecting to the internet through the same wireless router and modem, along with a 360, a PS3, a Wii, and occasionally an iPod touch. One of the computers outright refuses to connect properly lately.

I have a wireless card that runs at 54Mbps, and I usually expect a download speed of around 1MB/s, from Steam and reliable websites, although realistically i get around 200KB/s.

Lately it's been veering between 1MB/s and less than 1KB/s, often sinking as low as a few bytes per second, yet my computer is telling me my signal is perfect. This only happens on the one computer. Anybody got any ideas what could be causing this?

EDIT FOR EXAMPLE: This message just took around three minutes to submit, yet I open Steam and it's downloading at 1.2MB/s. Please help me, it's steering me testicles.

mr-razzcocks on

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

We're currently running 4 computers in our house, all connecting to the internet through the same wireless router and modem, along with a 360, a PS3, a Wii, and occasionally an iPod touch. One of the computers outright refuses to connect properly lately.

I have a wireless card that runs at 54Mbps, and I usually expect a download speed of around 1MB/s, from Steam and reliable websites, although realistically i get around 200KB/s.

Lately it's been veering between 1MB/s and less than 1KB/s, often sinking as low as a few bytes per second, yet my computer is telling me my signal is perfect. This only happens on the one computer. Anybody got any ideas what could be causing this?

EDIT FOR EXAMPLE: This message just took around three minutes to submit, yet I open Steam and it's downloading at 1.2MB/s. Please help me, it's steering me testicles.

Erm.... well, if you're downloading at 1.2MB per sec I don't think there's a big mystery as to why it took forever to post your message. You've maxed out your bandwidth.

Same with everything else. If you have an open wireless connection, other users in your house could be downloading / filesharing and raping your bandwidth. Or your neighbours could all be sitting in their backyards enjoying the free wifi.

Lock that isht down.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    uean wrote: »

Erm.... well, if you're downloading at 1.2MB per sec I don't think there's a big mystery as to why it took forever to post your message. You've maxed out your bandwidth.

Same with everything else. If you have an open wireless connection, other users in your house could be downloading / filesharing and raping your bandwidth. Or your neighbours could all be sitting in their backyards enjoying the free wifi.

Lock that isht down.

It's got a WEP key on it, and even when there's nobody else in it still happens. It just picks and chooses when to work and when not to. Like now. Steam is downloading at 26 BYTES a second. I predict that this message will take a while to be posted.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    WEP is useless and can literally be broken in seconds by anyone interested. WPA w/TKIP is a bad choice as well (use AES). You also haven't specified what router you're using.

What's your ping to the router itself like when you're having problems?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok, not well up on the tech side of things, and I'm not sure what ping is. All it tells me is that the speed is 54Mbps and the signal strength is good.

The router is a Belkin F5D7230-4 6000.

I'm convinced it's a problem with my computer more than anything, simply because the bandwidth issue makes no sense when nobody else in the house is having any problems at all.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If no one else is having problems then yeah.

First thing to try is to run the cable straight into your computer. If the problem goes away, we can go from there.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Question, have you disabled QoS on your PC?

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sorry to drag this up from the depths, but I thought I had the problem sorted. Once again the one computer stopped connecting, so I dragged it over to the modem and router and tried it plugged directly into the router, then directly into the modem, but problems still persist.

I then did a full system recovery and a clean install of windows, reinstalled my wireless card, and tried connecting wirelessly, then wired into the router then the modem, but suffered the same problems. All the other computers and consoles can still connect perfectly.

Obviously, it seems like a hardware fault of some kind, but I've no idea what kind. Anybody have any ideas?

mr-razzcocks on