As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post removed by user.

KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
Post removed by user.

Katholic on

• Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's your major?

Virum on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    <--- UCSB Student.

UCSB has a well deserved reputation as a party school, but it's got a good academic program too. We've got five or so faculty who've received nobel prizes in the last decade in various fields. There's a moderate Greek presence; if you're interested you'll probably be able to find a frat/sorority that fits you well, but it's hardly mandatory. The campus is literally right by the beach, so if you like the ocean that's a big plus. The student dorms are good too. Most of them are on campus, though Francisco Torres is about a ten minute walk away. The recreation center is free for currently registered students, and is very well equipped.

Isla Vista, the neighborhood where most of the off-campus students live, is immediately adjacent to the campus, so once you're living out there it shouldn't take you more than fifteen minutes to bike to class. Speaking of bikes UCSB is very much a bike school. Bike paths take you everywhere you need to go on campus, and if you're driving around IV you've gotta be careful for bikes and pedestrians popping out randomly. Bike theft does occur, but it's not as big an issue as you might be led to believe. I keep mine inside my apartment when I'm not using it, but that's mostly because I've had two bike locks break on me and I got tired of buying new ones.

If you come here and don't have a bike, get a cheap one over the summer and practice riding it around. You'll still have some trouble adjusting to riding in the bike paths during "rush hours" (the ten minutes between the end of one class period and the beginning of the next), but you'll be better off than most freshmen.

This is true to a greater or lesser extent for many colleges, but drinking is definitely a big part of IV's culture. Expect to see many drunk students wandering the streets on Friday and Saturday nights. This becomes more true as you head towards Del Playa (the beachfront street) and less as you head away from it, so if you care either way about that sort of thing you can choose your living arrangements accordingly.

Smasher on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Virum wrote: »
    What's your major?

This is more important than the selectivity/ranking of the school. Most people fail to realize this.

Unless you're undeclared. In that case, you're screwed. (Actually, try to see what majors you MIGHT go into, and then go from there.)

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    By looking at your list of schools, I'm assuming you are probably located somewhere in California. I'm also assuming you are probably looking at a liberal arts degree, probably with a strong basis in public policy or economics based on the choice of schools. If you are in California, I'd definitely suggest actually contacting the schools and visit them for a campus tour. Everyone is looking for something different in their college experience and each school offers very different strengths and weaknesses.

I graduated from UCLA in 2000 with a B.A. Philosophy. I'm sure a lot has changed in the 7 years since I graduated, but I'm sure a lot of the traditions and atmosphere that I enjoyed there are still going strong.

I had originally wanted to attend a small private fine arts college but ended up going to UCLA because I was rejected from my top 3 Art College choices. I am extremely satisfied with my experiences at UCLA and feel that it was a much better fit for me than if I had ended up at smaller art college. Going to a HUGE liberal arts university opened up my eyes to a lot of experiences I feel I would have missed out at a smaller private college. It also introduced me to a lot of fields that I was previously unfamiliar with and challenged me as a person to diversify my interests. Even though I went in thinking I would graduate with a degree in arts, I actually ended up graduating with a Philosophy degree. A majority of my closest friends from UCLA are actually engineers and med students; people I would not had the opportunity to meet if I had attended an art college. The key for me was to join clubs I was interested in and constantly making an effort to meet cool and friendly people.

Some other pros for UCLA include:
    Awesome weather, situated in a very nice area of LA (also it is near the Playboy mansion), Home of the largest collection Film and TV archives with it's own student theater, fairly cheap tuition if you are a California resident (I remember paying around $3000 a year for tuition), and great sports teams which adds a lot to the camaraderie of the student population (Go Bruins!).

Cons: Parking costs an arm and a leg, Traffic sucks, and diminishing diversity. I would consider the political atmosphere to be "pseudo-liberal", where people pretend to care about issues but there isn't really a lot of activism. This was probably my one very minor regret of choosing to go to UCLA over UC Berkeley.

On a final note, don't worry so much about not getting accepted to Duke. My younger brother graduated from there in 2005 and swore that he would never step foot again in Durham for as long as he lives. My best friend also got his MBA from Fuqua last year and basically reiterated the same sentiments. Not to bash on Duke because their campus is beautiful and their academic reputation is superb, but these are two people who's advice I highly regard.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just make sure you have fun, wherever you go. College is a once in a lifetime experience.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i think what's even more important is how well you like the atmosphere at the colleges that you got into; they're all pretty damn good (especially berkeley, wake, and hopkins), but what's important is that you find a place that's for you. since you're gonna be spending 4+ years there, anyways.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you haven't already, make sure you've taken a tour of each campus. One of them might jump out as the place that suits you best.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For Social Sciences, Berkley still rocks. But honestly, what college you go to is less important then what you do when you get there.

In other words, do as many internships as you can and study abroad.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    For Social Sciences, Berkley still rocks. But honestly, what college you go to is less important then what you do when you get there.

In other words, do as many internships as you can and study abroad.

quoted for truth.

Undergraduate really doesn't mean much, unless you are going to a top-tier ivy league school. Most school will teach near the same courses and give about the same amount of education/information. It all depends on how you use the resources that are given to you. That's why I personally like bigger schools that are known for research, as opposed to smaller schools which are known for a 15-1 student:teacher ratio.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm 20,000 miles away and I still know Duke sucks, don't sweat it :P. The UC's have a good rep even this far away, although I mostly only hear about Davis.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Really, when you have no idea where you want to go, like I did, visiting, and maybe spending a night at those top few places you like will make all the difference. Seriously, I had no idea. I narrowed it down to Johns Hopkins, Duke, Dartmouth, and Columbia, all very different schools in very different locations. At the time I wanted to do Biomedical Engineering, though I knew I wasn't sure, and JHU and Duke are #1 and #2 (though CU has a pretty good program as well)... luckily I knew I wasn't sure and factored that into my decision. So I spent a night at all four schools... maybe it wasn't really representative of the experience I'm having now or would have at a given school, but it really gives a good idea. In the end, I based my decision entirely off of "Hmm... this FEELS more right for me. I could picture myself here," more than anything else (I'm at Columbia). The visit helped so much. Granted, I still had trouble deciding until days before the deadline, but you just gotta go with what feels good for you.

Given that you've gotten into some quite good schools, then what really matters is where you see yourself best, because they're all quite good. Personally, I only know about JHU and Wake Forest. JHU, I didn't like so much... the atmosphere of crazy academics and the fact that it's in the ghetto of Baltimore, and Baltimore more or less blows.. but I know people there who like it. I have a friend at Wake Forest and he's loving it. Lot's of school spirit, amazing campus, nice dorms, I dunno... he really likes it there though.

That's all I have to say. Congrats on your acceptances and good luck on choosing what is right for you... and really, you can't go wrong. Remember that. A lot of factors in determining whether you like a school or not are entirely out of your control and are chance (roommate, professors, loud asshole neighbors). So good luck.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I havent read any of the replies so whatever if I accidentally repeat stuff. Im going to keep it short.

I've gone to school both at UCSB and UCLA (I transferred from the former to the latter last year). In my opinion, UCSB is a great balance of socializing and academics. It's quickly becoming regarded as one of the upper tier UC schools (some reports having it ranking directly below UCSD, some with SB even surpassing it). That said, Santa Barbara is a beautiful place. The location of the school is absolutely wonderful, and the fact that you don't need a car for anything is great, especially because parking (Unless you live in the Fransisco Torres dorms) is somewhat scarce. Having the beach nearby makes Spring quarter go by that much quicker. The people and atmosphere is very open and friendly. And of course: Halloween is incredible.

As for UCLA, it's very much more academic. There's also the added bonuses of NCAA sports. UCLA comprises of a lot more people who work a lot harder. I wouldn't say that the classes themselves are necessarily harder, but you will find more people who willingly spend their friday and saturday nights studying or writing essays. It's location in Los Angeles rivals Santa Barbara's in the sense that though it is not as beautiful, it has access to so much more. Pretty much any job you could be interested in is located somewhere in great Los Angeles, and so internships and related jobs are pretty easy to find. Westwood is also a great slice of town, and is very safe and friendly (considering it is pretty much just students living there).

Really, in my opinion, it boils down to whether you would like rigorous academics, collegiate sports, and a vast array of jobs/internships at UCLA, or fun, easygoing, social, but still highly respected academics in a beautiful haven of California at UCSB.

I also loved Berkeley and probably would have gone there in another life.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    oh and if you see those orange paperback books that say something like the real (university name) written by students or the insiders' (university) or something like that, I would suggest a quick scan of some of the things you may care about in a school. I mean, the responses often seem staged, but if you read a few of the responses instead of just the bolded ones, you can get a good sense of what that particular scene is like at that school.

oh this is what Im talking about

it's called the "Off The Record" series

http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Barbara-2007-College-Prowler/dp/1427401616/ref=sr_1_3/002-2865980-0787231?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175266060&sr=1-3

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is from someone 4 years into college: Pick a college that you will have FUN at. College is 90% about the experience. Yes, at the very end of it, you want to graduate with a degree from a respectable institution that will help you get a good, and fun, job, but don't think of that as the only end goal of college. You need to find a place that has a good balance between the two polarities.

Now that I have said that, this also depends on what you plan to do. If you want to be a surgeon, for instance, than I highly suggest choosing a college almost entirely based on academic credentials. However, situations like this are rare, and even then, you want to make sure you enjoy your college career to a certain degree.

That being said, I recommend Johns Hopkins, or Stanford if you get in.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    I'm 20,000 miles away and I still know Duke sucks, don't sweat it :P. The UC's have a good rep even this far away, although I mostly only hear about Davis.
    o_O

Are you serious?

Berkeley kicks Davis' ass at just about everything but agriculture. And not just by a little, either.

But yeah, the UCs kick a lot of ass. Berkeley's good for just about anything, so it's a good place to go if you're undeclared. Most of the other UCs have their specializations that they're good at (UCSC has a ridiculously good marine biology program, for instance).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am going to say this very slowly and conscisely.

big name colleges are worthless unless you are doing post graduate work. go for the college that offers the lowest tuition for the major you want.

UC San Diego would be my choice, you can get a job at the zoo ;)

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    JPArbiter wrote: »

big name colleges are worthless unless you are doing post graduate work. go for the college that offers the lowest tuition for the major you want.

Agreed... and for graduate work I would argue the professor quality is more important then the school as well.

Like I said earlier and others have said as well, it isn't the school so much as what you do when you get there. Realize that college offers a limited number of safety nets for fucking up, so stay on track. Also, take advantage of every opportunity you can there, including student leadership positions, clubs and activities, study abroad opportunities, and those internships I keep harping about.

All of those will be of a huge benefit when you finally enter the real world. Your GPA won't mean jack once you graduate (unless you go for a post-bacc) and frankly, your undergrad university won't mean a whole lot more unless it is distinctly Ivy League. And of course, if you can get into and afford an Ivy League school, chances are you have all the resources you need to succeed anyway.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    irnirn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wake Forest is a great school... however it's very clique-ish. If you have tons of money and can pass for an abercrombie model, than by all means enjoy. Winston Salem itself is a boring city with not much to do and not very diversified hence why Wake kids stick to themselves... my wife went to Salem College/Campbell I went to UNCW.

edit: Wake = Business, Law and Med . Don't go for anything else.

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You seemed to get into a bunch of really good schools. Follow the aforementioned advice and visit the schools-- I got into some much better schools than the one I'm presently at (Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, NYU) but they really didn't have what I was really looking for environment-wise, and I tried to go somewhere where I felt I could succeed the best. If they have anything that lets you talk with present students--do it, ask questions, read up. Really just look like something that is the best fit for you. Whomever said that college is 90% about the experience--really it's true, you're there to learn ...yes, but you're also there to learn social skills, and how to interact with people, you're networking for your future essentially.

I went through several websites and studentsreview.com was really good, there were some schools that I didn't have a chance to visit, but a lot of the reviews expressed that they were incredibly MISERABLE there with the course load and the social scene, I really recommend checking these out, it goes further into it than just social atmosphere, there's commentary on departmental things, food, the surrounding area etc, etc.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    JPArbiter wrote: »

Agreed... and for graduate work I would argue the professor quality is more important then the school as well.

Like I said earlier and others have said as well, it isn't the school so much as what you do when you get there. Realize that college offers a limited number of safety nets for fucking up, so stay on track. Also, take advantage of every opportunity you can there, including student leadership positions, clubs and activities, study abroad opportunities, and those internships I keep harping about.

All of those will be of a huge benefit when you finally enter the real world. Your GPA won't mean jack once you graduate (unless you go for a post-bacc) and frankly, your undergrad university won't mean a whole lot more unless it is distinctly Ivy League. And of course, if you can get into and afford an Ivy League school, chances are you have all the resources you need to succeed anyway.

I have to at least partially disagree with both of these statements. It is 100% true that you can get a great education and experience from a school that isn't 'big name.' But that's not to say that the name doesn't have a certain degree of value. It depends on exactly what you'll be doing, but in my industry (IT/strategy consulting) there are different values applied to identical degrees from different schools. For example, we would generally be more likely to hire a CS major with a 3.6 gpa from UCLA than from UCSB (all other things being equal). Not necessarily fair, but true of both the industry leaders and the smaller companies. That's not to say that we wouldn't hire someone from UCSB, just that when you're coming straight out of school the school name can count for something.

Additionally, your gpa can be important for your first job out of school, because some companies will outright disregard resumes that don't meet a certain threshold (generally 3.0, from what I've seen, but I'm sure it differs between companies). GPA importance drops dramatically after your first job, though, assuming you put in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's something you might not have thought about - you probably want a school that will challenge you. For example, I think UCSB would probably be a kickass place to spend four years, but I think the level of challenge would not be high enough to keep me on my toes, so to speak. I think I would perform worse at a school where I could get by without trying much versus a school where I had to actively work to keep up. Note - this is not intended as a bust on UCSB, it is intended only as an example.

Based on your choices I would probably go to Berkeley, or Standord if you get in.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    UC Berkeley.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Post removed by user.

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    For example, we would generally be more likely to hire a CS major with a 3.6 gpa from UCLA than from UCSB (all other things being equal). Not necessarily fair, but true of both the industry leaders and the smaller companies. That's not to say that we wouldn't hire someone from UCSB, just that when you're coming straight out of school the school name can count for something.

Additionally, your gpa can be important for your first job out of school, because some companies will outright disregard resumes that don't meet a certain threshold (generally 3.0, from what I've seen, but I'm sure it differs between companies). GPA importance drops dramatically after your first job, though, assuming you put in a reasonable amount of time.

I guess it depends on your field. My GPA is not listed on my resume, nor have I ever been asked what my GPA is in any job interview I have ever had. But, I am in a more social sciences field, so I can only speak to my own personal experience.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Katholic wrote: »
    For those taht possibly went through this...I actually also have a girlfriend issue. She is a junior, so I am not exactly sure what I should do. Because I know distances kills relationships, but then the other issue is whether or not she could get into the same school that i choose if it is a small private school. If she went to a school in New York, how long/expensive would a train trip be?

Also, about Baltimore...does is suck that much?
    Not sure about cost, but you're probably looking at a couple days for a train trip. Iowa to Virginia was 15-20 hrs of driving, if I remember right. Last time I looked at train prices, though, it's frequently cheaper to fly and a whole lot faster.

As to Baltimore sucking, I've visited for a few days, and it seems an alright place to me. I don't know if I'd want to live there or not as I hate big city traffic, but it seemed fairly clean and friendly and had some neat stuff to do such as the national aquarium.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not saying that money is everything, but I would consider employability for whatever major you decide on.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Philodox wrote: »
    I'm not saying that money is everything, but I would consider employability for whatever major you decide on.
    It appears that he's settle on academia.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Philodox wrote: »
    It appears that he's settle on academia.

Not necessarily; as I said before I work for an IT/strategy consulting firm. Our new-from-college hires are typically CS majors (or related), but personally I double majored in Government and History. Even in predominantly technical companies there is a need for people with good analytical and communication skills. I don't know jack about coding, but I manage coders and work with other people who don't have technical skills. There are a lot of things that a Social Science/Poly Sci person can do that don't involve academia, although admittedly you'll generally be starting out at a lower salary level than your technical peers.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I went to Loyola Marymount University. I wanted the small community living in Los Angeles Public education I was tired of the large classes and teachers not knowing your name. I don't regret it. I have to say choose a school you feel comfortable, offers a good program of your interest, meets your standards of living, good financial aid and something in 10 years you are proud to say you graduated from that school.

Also from watching Ben and Teller's Bullshit, if you go to school go to learn not to expect to make money.

Hope my comments help. Whatever you do, don't base your decisions on someone elses, parents, girlfriend, friends, pop culture, its your life you are choosing don't mess it up.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And do not base the majority of your decision on an internet discussion board.

The opinions here are all over the charts, and they're just that: opinions..

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'm not at Hopkins, but I go to a school fairly close to it. Baltimore can suck.

There's not always room or inclination for a college town to grow around a campus in this area. That can lead to there basically being nothing to do outside of grocery shopping and liquor stores without spending some time traveling on the highway.

I would advise on asking a student at Hopkins about what's around the campus though, they might have had better luck drawing business to the area than my school.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Since this thread is here and I've been visiting colleges this week I might as well throw out my own situation and see what you guys think.

I'm interested in neural prostheses and brain-computer interfaces, so I'm looking for a school where I can get some good Neuroscience and Computer Science. I'm located in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, and so far I've visited the University of Illinois and the University of Chicago. Illinois is pretty nice, I didn't think much of it until I went on an engineering tour of the place, and was shocked to find some pretty state of the art looking stuff. I understand that it's on the cutting edge of supercomputing and they've just started up a bioengineering and nanotechnology department (not that it would really effect me, but maybe if I wanted to change majors). On the other hand University of Chicago has an actual neuroscience major (which Illinois doesn't) and an available minor in computational neuroscience, as well as a graduate program for computational neuroscience that actually utilizes some of the resources over IIT for neuroengineering courses.

The limiting factors here are (1) I want to stay in the area for my girlfriend, since her family is pretty poor she plans on going to our community college and transfering later and (2) I really screwed myself over in my freshman and sophomore years, failing two classes and bringing myself down to about a 1.5 GPA. My grade is up now, since I just decided that I was going to college, last semester I got about a 3.75 (including A+s in AP classes). However my cumulative GPA and class rank are complete shit. I'm hoping for a college that will allow me to explain myself and my crappy GPA, so someone who heavily relies on essays or interviews would be ideal.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    UC Berkeley, although a great school, is sitting in the middle of a dump. The whole area around there sucks.

Go to UC/SD/SB/LA and you will have a much better experience.

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    o_O

Are you serious?

Berkeley kicks Davis' ass at just about everything but agriculture. And not just by a little, either.

But yeah, the UCs kick a lot of ass. Berkeley's good for just about anything, so it's a good place to go if you're undeclared. Most of the other UCs have their specializations that they're good at (UCSC has a ridiculously good marine biology program, for instance).

I'm working in agricultural research ;) but yeah, I know Berkeley is more famous, I'm just throwing out what little I've heard locally.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Acceptances:
    UCSD, UCSB, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Wake Forest, Davidson, and Johns Hopkins.

Rejections:
    Brown, Duke, and Claremont Mckenna

Waiting to hear:
    Stanford, Pomona.

Well my top two choices, Brown/Duke both decided to reject me (sons of bitches). So now I really need help deciding where to go. Try to sell me on one of the schools I got into.

So here's how I would parse your decision tree:
    First of all, I am a GIANT liberal arts whore (i went to claremont - i probably wouldn't get in now either though..) and i loved it. My biggest class had like 20 people in it and most were half that, I got great professional development and a lot of lasting friendships in a tight-knit community. So if Pomona takes you (though they're more selective than Claremont, so if you're on the wrong end of the numbers game it doesn't bode well), go there.

Davidson is always up in US News' LAC stuff too - i suggest you check out what sort of programs they offer and go for it.

Honestly, in contrast, the mass UC university experience is pretty dehumanizing (i.e. I never once had a TA or anybody but a professor teach me, I knew all of the bureaucrats by name and hung out with them, etc.). However, it's a lot cheaper and if you work hard to find a niche you can get lots of attention + educational value. That said, there's no option for you to take but Berkeley - I guess maybe UCLA if there's a big money difference, but the gap in academic reputation/actual importance/etc. of Berkeley vs. the rest of the UC system is staggering.

So first:
    1) What's cheapest between Berkeley, Pomona and Stanford?
    2) What's the trade-offs you're making in reputation and size? (I think I would have had more fun at Pomona than Stanford but Stanford is still a blast and its brand value is rivaled only by Bekeley) on the west coast.
    3) I think between Berkeley and whatever private colleges you get into, you should go to the one that offers the best deal.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Post removed by user.

Katholic on
  • Options
    njdnjd Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    I recently graduated from JHU and currently go to grad school at UCLA so i might be able to help you.

JHU:

Academics:
    It will vary slightly depending on your major, but be prepared to work. Most of the students there study a lot, especially in the science fields. You'll probably hear about how competitive the students are, with the extreme being stories of students cutthroating each other (by hiding library books, etc) but I've never experienced that firsthand. That being said, the quality of education is high, especially at the upper level classes. There are also a lot of opportunities for research, although the top lab spots are competitive. As far as reputation goes, I don't think there isn't much difference from the other top schools you got into. However, if you plan on going into the medical / health science fields then JHU will probably give you a slight edge.

Baltimore:
    What the earlier poster said about Baltimore sucking sometimes is true. First, it can be dangerous. While I was there 2 students were murdered (one was killed by a burglar and the other was by a non-student acquaintance). Also, one of my friends was robbed and another experienced a break-in. It seems like JHU is trying to gentrify the area around campus and there is a lot of development going on in the area so things will probably be safer. If you don't have a car, your basic options are taking a bus to the Inner Harbor or to Towson. JHU has a shuttle to Penn Station that makes train rides to DC and NYC convenient. You mentioned taking the train to NYC, I would suggest getting the student deal with Amtrak (I forgot the name). If you really want to save money, the Chinatown bus cost $20 to NYC, but the pickup place is ghetto and not as easy to get to as Penn Station. Baltimore can be fun but you have to put effort into making it fun, which can be difficult if you are really engaged in your studies.

UCLA:

I’ve only been here for a few months so there are probably others who can answer your questions better. But if you have any just let me know. You can also ask me stuff about JHU. I feel like I’ve been talking about random stuff so more specific questions would probably be more useful.

njd on
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want to thank everyone for their replies. At this point I am leaning towards social sciences (possibly economics or history or poly sci). But honestly, I might change because I also really love Math and Science(chem, bio, physics). I really enjoy all subjects except for english literature. I do plan on going post-graduate.

For those taht possibly went through this...I actually also have a girlfriend issue. She is a junior, so I am not exactly sure what I should do. Because I know distances kills relationships, but then the other issue is whether or not she could get into the same school that i choose if it is a small private school. If she went to a school in New York, how long/expensive would a train trip be?

1) Regarding the girlfriend issue, I go to school in Mass where I actually met a lot of guys who came to school with girlfriends in high school-- for the most part it's worked out because of the lack of distance. I do have some success stories like a girl that goes to A&M and her bf goes to Duke, and they're still together.
    Honestly though-- don't let the girl be the key to your decision. It could be great now, but your future is in your hands, and your college choice is going to determine your future, don't let a girl hold you back. To be honest, most of the time when girls go off to college anyways, it's pretty much done for. (Not to be a pessimist).

2) A train from Cali to NY takes...three days, if you go to school in Baltimore, that's not so bad, it's maybe a two hour busride I believe? Faster than a train, but even still be prepared to spend a bit of money on it.

3) I attended the Maryland Institute College of Art for a summer in Baltimore, it's not a terrible town, I had a lot of stuff to do locally and on campus, but really, there's a high rate of destitution and crime. There are some eyesores to the city (IE a giant bridge that looks like it's an ad for Prismacolors, and some statue outside of Penn Station that's a commentary on androdgeny). Anyways, it is what you make of it, I have a friend who absolutely hates it there, he feels to trapped and feels like there's not enough to do. Be somewhere where you think you'd be happy.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Note, about Chinatown bus... greyhound has dropped their fares to basically try and run those guys out of business or something, because it's $20 from Baltimore to NYC on the Greyhound, and I'm sure they pick up at a regular bus station there.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Late to the party, but I would not recommend Hopkins for undergrad. Yeah, you can do it, but it's exceedingly cutthroat and there's a significant lack of "regular" undergraduate activities. As in, a freaking coffee shop. We just recently got a starbucks, and before that every place that sold coffee either closed at 5 or turned into a bar.

My wife's a grad student on campus and has to TA occasionally and is where the recommendation comes from. Basically all of her friends say that it's pretty good for graduate work, but they really don't have a clue as to what makes a good undergraduate experience. No student union, very little activity regarding groups or social events, poor access to non-alcoholic things to do, poor parking (non-existent) and living options (dorms or waay too expensive).

Safety isn't really an issue -- the guy mentioned before who was murdered was basically a fluke -- they had a big party at the frat, they left the door completely unlocked and partially open, a burgler w/ a knife snuck in. The student, drunk, confronted the guy, and got stabbed. The stab wound was fatal. It's not like a robber broke in to a quiet place for no reason, slit someone's throat, and snuck off.

The city itself is fine; I bought a house here and enjoy the area quite a bit. It's not flashy, but I also don't thrive on going to expensive bars every weekend. As for things to do, there's now opera, plays, indie movie theaters, etc. etc. The thing is that you have to actually want to find these things, and not simply just show up at the inner harbor and expect to have a good time at the Hard Rock Cafe. We've got a few friends w/ mixed feelings about the area (also grad students), and their opinions are really colored by the fact that they don't hunt for things -- they typically stick to certain areas and places and then get bored that there's never anything new.

That said, I still wouldn't recommend Hopkins for undergrad studies. There's a lot of places that are a lot more interesting and a lot better learning institutions. You won't get a bad education at Hopkins, but college is more than just "go to class, take a test."

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

Listen to me very carefully: your current relationship(s) should have (in my humble opinion) have no impact whatsoever on what schools you choose. Or, at the very least, they should be the absolute lowest priority.

Look man, college will, to a large extent, determine the rest of your life. Compared to high school, it is another life. When I graduated from HS I chose to cut all my ties with my then-current romantic partner as well as my ex's, and I am grateful I did because I didn't have that burden when I was making a choice (which would have been dramatic, as I wouldn't have come to the USA).

ege02 on