Options

Dwarf Fortress: Be sure to "neuter" your cats at the butcher's shop

• Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    I keep getting messages that a cave crocodile has given birth to baby crocodiles. But I can't find them. I don't see them in the unit list, they don't seem to be in any cages that I've stolen from the Elves...

I fear there may soon be an army of mutant crocodiles.

Do you have an underground river?

Perhaps? I dunno... I suppose I'll only know if I find one.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I keep getting messages that a cave crocodile has given birth to baby crocodiles. But I can't find them. I don't see them in the unit list, they don't seem to be in any cages that I've stolen from the Elves...

You can't just look for them on the units page?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kidnappers stole my babies! Three times... actually, I'm glad. They don't work at all. ;)

In other news, one season I stole a bunch of elf crap. Then I wondered why I did so, because it is pretty much crap. So when they came next season, I tried to trade it back to them. Seems they don't recognize their own handiwork, since they accused me of being a tree-killer then left in a huff.

Which is okay, because elfs stink. And I am a tree-killer. But I still have this elf crap. Guess I'll pawn it off on the humans.

EDIT: I think I'll try to give them wood crafts every time they come. Then they leave immediately. :D

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

You can't just look for them on the units page?

Look above.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeeks. Double-ambush I wasn't prepared for. Just lost 12 dwarves. (Hurray for pruning!)

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    A little while ago, my population peaked just over 80... so the goblins decided to send in a little siege. I lost a couple dwarfs who ignored the order to stay indoors, but otherwise my ballistas encouraged them to stay away.

However, it seems that "siege" was really a scouting mission. They realized my siege operators were no soldiers and wouldn't stand and fight. So they had a plan for the next siege, which came just as I had finished cleaning up the last siege.

They sent in one fast goblin who easily dodged the ballista bolts and sent the cowardly siege operators running. That basically let their whole force in through the front door. (Design flaw... I didn't think those operators would run so soon!) I had barely any troops, and my champions were still resting wounds from previous battles. The few troops I had were soon overrun... so I was forced to call in civilians. And they died, and they died... so many died. I lost approximately 40 dwarfs, I think, before the remaining goblins left. (And I don't say that they ran.... they were laughing as they went.)
    Images from top Z-level downwards:
    Massacre-E.png
    Massacre-D.png
    Massacre-C.png
    Massacre-B.png
    Massacre-A.png

Despite the huge losses, it was rather fun! I'm now down to 48 dwarfs (from a peak of 90), so hopefully I can rebuild and there won't be any sieges for a while. And rethink my defense plan.

..... That's assuming everyone doesn't start throwing tantrums and going berserk.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I really hate to be a dick, guys, but I used to play this about a year ago and I need some help getting back into it.

What version should I be downloading? The latest? Or the last major build?
    Any recommendations on a graphic tile set. I know I'm a puss, but I love to see my dorfs.

I also remember I used to use an editor that let me do some nifty things like edit a dwarf's moods, so I could change the material he demanded or the skill it was related to.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A little while ago, my population peaked just over 80... so the goblins decided to send in a little siege. I lost a couple dwarfs who ignored the order to stay indoors, but otherwise my ballistas encouraged them to stay away.

However, it seems that "siege" was really a scouting mission. They realized my siege operators were no soldiers and wouldn't stand and fight. So they had a plan for the next siege, which came just as I had finished cleaning up the last siege.

They sent in one fast goblin who easily dodged the ballista bolts and sent the cowardly siege operators running. That basically let their whole force in through the front door. (Design flaw... I didn't think those operators would run so soon!) I had barely any troops, and my champions were still resting wounds from previous battles. The few troops I had were soon overrun... so I was forced to call in civilians. And they died, and they died... so many died. I lost approximately 40 dwarfs, I think, before the remaining goblins left. (And I don't say that they ran.... they were laughing as they went.)
    Massacre-E.png
    Massacre-D.png
    Massacre-C.png
    Massacre-B.png
    Massacre-A.png

Despite the huge losses, it was rather fun! I'm now down to 48 dwarfs (from a peak of 90), so hopefully I can rebuild and there won't be any sieges for a while. And rethink my defense plan.

..... That's assuming everyone doesn't start throwing tantrums and going berserk.

Your plan is sound, but you should put some murder holes above that entrance so you can have your marksdwarves kill fast units.

You marksdwarves cant hit it? have them train till they blink.
    My champ marksdwarf could fire 3 bolts a frame. named him cango.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I really hate to be a dick, guys, but I used to play this about a year ago and I need some help getting back into it.

Any recommendations on a graphic tile set. I know I'm a puss, but I love to see my dorfs.

I also remember I used to use an editor that let me do some nifty things like edit a dwarf's moods, so I could change the material he demanded or the skill it was related to.

Just get the latest.

Were multiple levels in at this point last year? The game is 3D, after a sorts now.

Someone just posted Stonesense, which is an isometric graphics pack

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I haven't picked a starting point in my newest world yet, but the default location has a river named Owldissolve.

WTF kind of pollutants are in THAT.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Orcs completely destroyed my first fortress on the Dig Deeper mod till I discovered the wonders of the dwarven atom smasher. I take on the Goblins with my military but I'm going to have to have a plan if i want to face those buddies straight on. I also found out that elves don't exist int his world so no fun with them. Oh well at least I could probably genocide the humans if I wanted too.

I noticed that the site I have claims to havea magma pipe but I think it is hidden. Where would be the best place to look for it? I managed to find the chasm as it happened oonly to be int the center of my bedrooms.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    ZypherIMZypherIM Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you remember which square it was in in the embark screen dig in that general area. otherwise go down a few levels, and cover the map in tunnels. I think 11 tiles should find any magma pipes, but I could be wrong.

About the ballistas, they shoot really far, and dwarves run at.. 20 squares? Maybe try having more distance between them and your stairs. Could set up some sort of cross-fire murder trap using floodgates to close the 3-wide hallway too.

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    The Orcs completely destroyed my first fortress on the Dig Deeper mod till I discovered the wonders of the dwarven atom smasher. I take on the Goblins with my military but I'm going to have to have a plan if i want to face those buddies straight on. I also found out that elves don't exist int his world so no fun with them. Oh well at least I could probably genocide the humans if I wanted too.

I noticed that the site I have claims to havea magma pipe but I think it is hidden. Where would be the best place to look for it? I managed to find the chasm as it happened oonly to be int the center of my bedrooms.

If the chasm stretches across the map a bit, look for obsidian along its edges. Other than that you need to dig.

Toady really needs to add in some kind of ore scouting or sonar or something.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm not sure if this is on by default, but you can change the options when you generate a new map to show lava and stuff. Then when embarking you can search for features. If you go to a place with magma, on your local screen one tile should be red (don't recall the symbol offhand), and thats the section your pipe is in. Then just dig in that area.

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can make murder holes in Dwarf Fortress?

Juc on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Juc wrote: »
    You can make murder holes in Dwarf Fortress?

The word murder can be attached to many things in DF.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure there are at least five possible meanings for "murder hole" in the context of dwarf fortress.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    TekDragon wrote: »

Just get the latest.

Were multiple levels in at this point last year? The game is 3D, after a sorts now.

Someone just posted Stonesense, which is an isometric graphics pack

The 'latest' build is over a year old from September 2008. If someone was playing it then it's the same game. As noted, there has been neat user-generated content such as stonesense and an assortment of mods.

On another note, it turns out that dragons missing a limb are pansies. My dwarves huddled all around him while he was whining about his poor little leg (...unconscious) and just stabbed him to death. Now if only my dwarves would have spent less time filing things away in barrels and bins and had actually butchered him for his sweet, sweet dragon meat...

The goblin commando forces have managed to bring my population down to 79 (from about 85) by attacking multiple times per year, but my military has enough strength and training now that they can remain vigilant constantly. If only the workers would carry up the microcline from the depths of my mining operations to complete my defensive keep. Is there some way to stop dwarves from constantly shuffling things between bins? I've got 79 dwarves and of the 55 that aren't injured or in a military capacity, about 50 of them spend time sleeping and moving crap.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    At first I thought the outpost liason was a cripple this year, as he lacks a right arm. Upon further investigation, it appears to have be torn off by an elephant. He has almost made it to my entrance and the caravan has already left.

Edit: your mystery alligator is an underground thing of some sort. My magma creatures didn't show up in the unit list until I breached my pipe.

The Liason is in the process of leaving the map, and tearing off his clothes every few steps before passing out again. I hope the raving madman will remember to tell the mountainhome that I require an Iron Anvil, not a pile of steel ones that I can't afford.

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Mighty wrote: »

Massacre-E.png
    Massacre-D.png
    Massacre-C.png
    Massacre-B.png
    Massacre-A.png

Your plan is sound, but you should put some murder holes above that entrance so you can have your marksdwarves kill fast units.

You marksdwarves cant hit it? have them train till they blink.
    My champ marksdwarf could fire 3 bolts a frame. named him cango.

Yeah, I've had other forts with some awesome marksdwarfs, but haven't had any train hard enough here... I have plans for some murder holes or something similar, but just haven't gotten around to it. Besides, at this point in time, the expert crossbow goblin would have picked them off easily, while my recruits are so young.

One funny bit about the whole siege was I saw the goblins approaching the main entrance... and then pass it. I couldn't figure out what they were going after.... They stopped at the base of my towers (6 and 9 Z-levels high right now) and started shooting... at nothing. Or so I thought, until I got "child is dead" and "cat is dead" messages. I finally realized he was picking off things on the roof 6 Z-levels up, and doing it well. Fortunately, the other children backed away from that corner of the roof (they never listen to me to stay indoors, stupid kids). After the gobs shot the kid and the cat, they came charging through the main entrance to the destruction I showed earlier.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I shouldn't have drafted this one...
    Sigun.png
    She seems a tad... unstable. At least she got some pleasure from throwing something.

In other news, darn fisherdwarf with head, leg and hand injuries has decided she needs to craft something. She's possessed, I tell you... She's out looking for materials but collapses unconscious every ten seconds or so. EDIT: She died. Her constant collapsing, she eventually went mad before she could gather even the 2nd material for whatever she was planning.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God, build some chairs and tables before that woman kills everyone!

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Don't listen to him, you have plenty of dining space now that most of your fort is dead!

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ZypherIM wrote: »
    Don't listen to him, you have plenty of dining space now that most of your fort is dead!

Well, I haven't built any dining tables yet, except the two required by the mayor and dungeon master. There is only one other chair... the mayor's old office. I suppose I should build a temporary dining area, at least until I can build a proper, magnificent dining room.

As for bedrooms.... I was about to build another thirty rooms (to go from 60 to 90), but seeing as my population just decreased from 90 to 48, I can put off those new bedrooms for a while. :winky:

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    BYToady wrote: »
    God, build some chairs and tables before that woman kills everyone!

Actually, I've decided to raise her as the most awesome badass dwarf I can. She's got the only steel plate in the fort, and a steel axe, and she has begun a rigorous training program. When I'm done with her, I hope to unleash her and her alone on any and all invasions; let her have vengeance on all goblins by separating their limbs from their torsos!!!

She seems to be enjoying the training program so far: she's stopped throwing hissy fits. And since I have no sheriff and no prison, she's not going to jail anytime soon. (She hit a few people, I think.)

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, so I started a new fortress on a spot with a brook just a few squares away from a magma tube. Sweet!

Of course, one miner is annihilated by a fire imp, and the other is crushed under a cave in. The fortress goes to hell quickly.

Well fuck that. I'm reclaiming it. I march in with my small army, show the local wildlife who's boss, and move my stuff back in.

Except no I can't build magma smelters or forges. What the hell. They're not even on the menu of things to build.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, that's a pretty common glitch.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do any of you understand the world generation system to help me out? I want a world that is pretty much all desert, volcano's and some ocean (for bizzare undead lifeforms, and perhaps an undersea colony). I've messed around with the parameters but I can't seem to generate a world without errors.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I haven't picked a starting point in my newest world yet, but the default location has a river named Owldissolve.

WTF kind of pollutants are in THAT.

Dwarf Fortress; New Jersey Edition.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, my newest fortress, Kisslances, is drowning now.

Have I forgotten how water works? I found an underground river a few levels above my fort, and channelled some down to a cistern, which was then to be used for farming. I was running low on drinks because of the time to get my farms going, so I set up a couple wells above the cistern...

But the instant I started the water into the cistern the well room flooded, and couldn't shut it down in time.

I'm fairly certain I've put wells over running water before...

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Curse-Ten wrote: »

If the chasm stretches across the map a bit, look for obsidian along its edges. Other than that you need to dig.

Toady really needs to add in some kind of ore scouting or sonar or something.

Oh, also, sometimes if it's close enough to the surface you can see the Obsidian cap. Look for large, roughly circular sections of ground with no rocks on it. It should stand out as most rocky ground has TONS of boulders.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, my newest fortress, Kisslances, is drowning now.

Have I forgotten how water works? I found an underground river a few levels above my fort, and channelled some down to a cistern, which was then to be used for farming. I was running low on drinks because of the time to get my farms going, so I set up a couple wells above the cistern...

But the instant I started the water into the cistern the well room flooded, and couldn't shut it down in time.

I'm fairly certain I've put wells over running water before...

You say that the river was above your fort... If you bring it down, and provide it an escape upward, it will attempt to come back up to the level it started at.

You can avoid this problem by putting a screw pump at the bottom (or in the middle, wherever appropriate). A screw pump regulates the pressure, so the water you put into the cistern won't rise above the level of the pump.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I've had other forts with some awesome marksdwarfs, but haven't had any train hard enough here... I have plans for some murder holes or something similar, but just haven't gotten around to it. Besides, at this point in time, the expert crossbow goblin would have picked them off easily, while my recruits are so young.

Now I know why my marksdwarfs weren't getting in enough training: I wasn't producing enough practice bolts. They had gone through my supply quickly. I've now upped production on wooden/bone bolts so they can train properly.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just found a map with a starting location with a brook (no carp), a magma pipe, a bottomless pit, flux stone and adamantine somewhere. Only thing missing is sand, which I may hax in. If anyone wants the world, just ask or PM me.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How can I tell the difference between a magma pipe and a pool?

Is it just the pipe that's longer (vertically) than it is wide?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Yeah, the pipe is bottomless: it'll go straight to the bottom of your map. That, and the pool only has a limited supply. The pipe will keep your fortress going right up until the tantrum spiral.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah, the pipe is bottomless: it'll go straight to the bottom of your map. That, and the pool only has a limited supply. The pipe will keep your fortress going right up until the tantrum spiral.

If you are not making magma defenses or obsidian factories a pool will last you forever.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, I know that pipes last forever and pools don't, but how do I tell the difference without attempting to drain it all into the chasm?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, I know that pipes last forever and pools don't, but how do I tell the difference without attempting to drain it all into the chasm?

Once you've uncovered it, the whole thing is revealed. If the structure persists down to the bottom Z-level it's a pipe, if it is only over a few Z-levels it's a pool.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay, thanks. I originally found it by digging along the bottom level, anyway.

Nerdgasmic on
This discussion has been closed.