As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Boy and his Blob: Now with 100% more hugs!

12346»

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah, well, at least you're still enjoying the game, right?

Yes, but I'm still a bit disappointed in the game even so. The slow pace is really bugging me. Like when you come across a puzzle, first you need to select the right jelly bean (and it seems like the jelly bean I want is always the last one I select), then you need to throw it, then you need to wait for your blob to eat it, then you need to call him to you when you're done - repeat, repeat, repeat. Then when you beat a level, you need to wait for it to load the hub stage, then you wait for your blob to spit out treasure chests, then you wait for it to reveal the new item, and then finally, you can go to the next stage (although if you want to go to a bonus stage, you also need to walk over to the appropriate place in the hub). Since the game really isn't designed for younger players despite its appearance (I'm only on the second world & there's no way my daughter would have gotten this far, even if the game had kept her attention, too many tricky puzzles & reflex moments), I really wish they had sped up the pace a bit.

The game is gorgeous and there's some good puzzles in here, but it's little things like this that keep the game from being merely a good game and not a must-buy or modern classic in my mind.

So the morale of my story: going from Splosion Man (i.e. Sonic on steroids) to Boy & his Blob might not have made for the smoothest transition.

You can skip the Blob spitting out the chests by hitting one of the buttons. I forget which one.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to try that next time I play.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    But you know what I find really inexcusable? There's no reference as to what the damned jellybean flavors are! That's half of the concept's charm, but instead of "punch = hole" I just get to select a red bean. I had no idea that the parachute was pear-flavored (for "pearachute", I guess) until I looked it up in the manual (it's one of seven-ish they mention).

Don't get me wrong; I'm enjoying the game so far, but those omissions seem jarring.

Yeah, I was saddened by this too. We have no clue on the rest of the unmentioned beans (that weren't in the previous game...of which there's at least one).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, I'm just not having much fun with this game. Too slow paced for me. Off it goes to Goozex in exchange for Tales of Vesperia & some other 200-300 point game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    You make a thread for this but leave out that amazing trailer? For shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwxo42WMDHo

Fuuuuuck. D:

I actually regret not owning a Wii now.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, fuck that World 3 boss. The boy has all the mobility of an asthmatic fatty and I get to dodge projectiles? Go to hell. The collision detection for what I need to do is spotty at best, and half of the time I accidentally set up the blob facing the wrong way. ARGH, argh argh. It must have taken me over 20 tries to get past that douche, and I have decades of gaming experience under my belt. I'd hate to see some kid trying that.

Also, while I'm ranting about World 3, fuck the rocket. It took me forever to figure out how that thing steers (since every time you're even a hair off you get nailed and die).

I've given up on getting all the chests; it's just not worth the effort of replaying those frustrating levels for the ones I missed my first time through.

On the upside, the challenge has certainly picked up. Somewhat artifically, but hey.

One world to go...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    It must have taken me over 20 tries to get past that douche, and I have decades of gaming experience under my belt. I'd hate to see some kid trying that.

A kid would try 100 times over that amount without even thinking about it. I know I certainly played my share of harder games when I was 6, and beat the crap out of them constantly. When I go back and play the same games now, I just go, "I don't have the time for this shit."

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How true that is....nowadays I get much more frustrated than I use to.

I would sit there for hours on a super hard game just to finally beat it, but now....I try a few times and quit playing the game for a week before attempting it again. :P

When I was a kid I actually beat the Yo! Noid game....I couldn't beat that game now if I tried.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I still can't believe I beat Rygar once. Or Contra without the 30-man code. For me it was because it was the only new game I'd have to play for the next few months.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Beat the game tonight. 4th world even more frustrating than the 3rd.

But those last two stages... they made it all worth it. That was epic. They had me all D: like I was supposed to be, and then... it happened.

If you've been there, you know. If you haven't, get there.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been playing this game and enjoying it a lot so far. My kid sits on the couch and does the back seat driver thing "make him a ladder! now whistle!". I think he would be okay playing the game based on the difficulty I've encountered so far, but there have been a few portions where the controls have seemed a little less than adequate.

Visually I'm in love with this game. This is the first time I've played a game where it really felt like I was playing an animated movie. I'm gonna look into some of the other recent 2d games like muramasha to see if I dig them as much.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm writing my review of this for Snackbar, and I realized that we know almost all of the 15 flavors in the game.

Legacy flavors:
    licorice = ladder
    punch = hole
    tangerine = trampoline
    cola = bubble
    apple = jack
    root beer = rocket
    coconut = coconut

New flavors/functions:
    berry = balloon (replaces the functionality of ketchup in the original)
    bubblegum = bouncer
    pear = parachute (I think this was a parasol in the original; in addition to providing parachute abilities, it also acted as an overhead shield)
    banana = anvil

Unknown flavors:
    Cannon (the box says cream, but the website says caramel; given the color of the bean in the game, I believe the box)
    Shield (perhaps strawberry, which was a bridge in the original?)

End game spoiler:
    Clone (I suspect this one is boysenberry...)

Final transformation spoiler:
    Mech (no clue)

Your thoughts on those last four?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fixed code?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fixed code?

Yeah, I had to edit it a couple of times. It's been a while since I used spoiler tags. That's what I get for using the quick reply box instead of a preview-able reply. :\

Of course, nobody would have noticed if you hadn't been so fast on your reply. :)

EDIT: Although I guess they spoil the last two in that trailer anyway.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game is great. It's a real pleasure to play. The overall style just makes me feel like I'm in a simpler, more innocent age :) It's really relaxing to play, and makes a nice change from games where big hulking bastards are trying to rip your head off.

I do agree with others that there should be an option to turn the signposts off, but as you progress through the game they get less frequent and the difficulty starts to ramp up. I'm on world three now and it's definitely getting tricky.

My girlfriend enjoys watching me play it as well, which is a major rarity and a major bonus (it means I get to actually play it).

bigwillch on
    fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H