As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 + Wireless Adapters = #$!@

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
So I've just returned a Netgear wirless adapter after discovering the assholes don't support Windows 7 at all.

Now, I've got a linksys WUSB600N which has full Windows 7 support. And it doesn't fucking work. It goes through the process of installing right until it says says it's detected the adapter and is "Installing your network adapter". Then it hangs for 5 minutes and crashes with Error 211 "your network adapter may not be installed correctly". Fucking thanks.

So that's that. What're my options? Or should I just scrap the whole project and buy 100 feet of cabling that actually functions?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm using a cheap piece of shit Airlink101 AWL3026 USB adaptor. It's a piece of crap but it gets the job done and it works as well with Win7 as it did with XP.

As a matter of fact I think to get it working I just used Vista64 drivers (I have Win7 64).

I definitely need a new wireless adaptor though. This thing works but it was clearly designed for close-range routers, being a tiny usb WNIC and everything. I need something with better range.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As stated try using Vista drivers. The Win7 RC didn't give me much out of my laptop's touchpad but installing the Vista drivers for it made it work fine. Vista drivers often work with Win7.

edit.. this is assuming you're just trying plug and play. If you're using actual Win7 drivers and it's not working then yeah that sucks. And also wired networking is a pain in the ass one time and then you're golden. Wireless can always be a pain in the ass. I go wired whenever possible just to avoid the hassles involved with wireless idiocy.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, don't buy from Netgear at the very least.

Linksys seems to have somehow... I don't even know. Even manually updating the drivers with ones I downloaded them gives the same long hang time followed by "an install problem".

How can it find the device, find the drivers, and then NOT INSTALL? Razzem frazzem grrr.

Christ, it won't even uninstall properly so I can try updating the drivers manually again. I hate these things so much. I really am thinking of just running 100 feet of cable downstairs.

Edit: Aaaaand the Linksys tech support lady informed me that no company has a wireless adapter available for Windows 7 64-bit.

Which seems like it would make all those "compatible with Windows 7!" stickers a fucking lie but what do I know?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm having a shitty time with Win7 and my piece of junk Dell Wireless card. Dell would rather I buy a new one than update the drivers, but it's a rebranded Broadcomm card and Win7 has native drivers, so oh well.

Except the native drivers suck. 5-3000ms pings to the router, constant packet loss, the works. I've replaced the router with a Linksys with dd-wrt (twice now, one is a brand new WRT54GL) and plan on replacing the wireless card once I can reboot tonight. Picked this one up, apparently it works fine and has new Win7 drivers on the Edimax.us website:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041

The Netgear piece of crap that we HAD at least worked, but required rebooting every 30-40 minutes or it would stop forwarding packets and randomly start dropping connections. For example, opening the PA forums would result in a ton of random pizza boxes as random images didn't open.

The DD-WRT ones seem to work great, except WOW connects for 5 seconds then gets 0-9000ms ping (either 0 or something ungodly high) and the game disconnects.

Kinda driving me nuts. 2wire also says my 5 meg cable connection is 400k, so... yeah. That's my afternoon project, heh.

KiTA on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Haha, yeah man that ain't right - If I didn't have a wireless USB network adaptor that was incompatible with Windows 7 64-bit, I wouldn't be posting this message right now.

I would at least try manually installing Vista64 drivers.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I did the manual install of vista 64, same error as every other attempt.

Of course, because I can't uninstall the drivers I have currently I can't actually tell. Because who knows, maybe a clean install would work.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    luckeeluckee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Similar situation, I lose connection after a few hours and have to disable and the reable my built in network adapter to get it to work again. Kind of a pain. Other than that W7 running well.

luckee on
    Doctorus Experimentus
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone try a ZyXEL G202 802.11g USB adapter? Just curious as I plan on picking one up when my old 2Wire one doesn't work with Win 7 64bit.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, here is a simple solution that should work. Because I have a cheap Trendnet USB adapter working on my sister's Win7 box.

Do a manual install using the Vista driver, only first set the compatibility to Vista SP2 before running the installer. I've done this with 1 wireless adapter and several printers with great success.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok, here is a simple solution that should work. Because I have a cheap Trendnet USB adapter working on my sister's Win7 box.

Do a manual install using the Vista driver, only first set the compatibility to Vista SP2 before running the installer. I've done this with 1 wireless adapter and several printers with great success.

I actually did the same to my 2Wire on Win 7 32 bit. It seemed to work. I just figure I'm screwed when it comes to 64-bit, as there's no 64-bit drivers as far as I can find (it's old).

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have the same Linksys adapter, WUSB600N, and it worked out of the box for both Vista 64-bit and now Windows 7 64-bit. However, I think they came out with a newer version than the one I have so maybe they screwed it up (mine is version 1).

Maybe try reinstalling Windows with the adapter plugged in during install?

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    HoodieHoodie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was able to get my old Netgear wifi card running in Win7 using the Windows XP driver (I had to go into the device manager and manually point it out however).

My advice would be to never buy Netgear ...ever.

Hoodie on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bob Sapp wrote: »
    I have the same Linksys adapter, WUSB600N, and it worked out of the box for both Vista 64-bit and now Windows 7 64-bit. However, I think they came out with a newer version than the one I have so maybe they screwed it up (mine is version 1).

Maybe try reinstalling Windows with the adapter plugged in during install?

Yeah, mine is version 2.

And, no. No I will not be reinstalling windows in order to resolve a reasonably unimportant driver problem. That would be way more annoyance than it's worth.

I'll give that Vista SP2 install thing a go right now.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just as an aside -- that $20 wireless card fixed ALL of my issues. Win7x64

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fucking christ on a crutch. I decided to give yet another brand a go, since I can return it tomorrow if I feel like it. And no, a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter doesn't work either.

I guess I may as well try that card. This is such a fucking pain.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fucking christ on a crutch. I decided to give yet another brand a go, since I can return it tomorrow if I feel like it. And no, a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter doesn't work either.

I guess I may as well try that card. This is such a fucking pain.

Make sure you get the new drivers off the website. When installing, I would install "drivers only."

If this still doesn't work, run the following commands in an Administrator Command Prompt:

netsh int ip reset pennyarcade.txt
    netsh winsock reset

Then reboot.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So, this is still causing me issues. I decided to take a look at making this freaking thing work after the weekend, and I continue to have no luck.

The annoying part is that there seems to be no way to uninstall these drivers. When I go into Device manager with the adapter plugged in, I can get the properties, look at what drivers are installed, and select uninstall. But it just hangs there indefinitely.

So for all I know, the reason some of these fixes aren't working is simply because I can't uninstall the freaking things in the first place.

Argh.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Have you tried unplugging it then uninstalling it?

And it wont install drivers for anything else? Assuming you've tried anything new, like that newegg card or something...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    How would I uninstall without it plugged in? The only time I can get to the driver update/uninstall page is when I access it through the Device Manager, which is only possible when it's plugged in.

Does it work to just manually find the drivers and take them out?

Also, is there any way to prevent Windows from automatically attempting to install drivers? It takes 15 minutes, prevents me from changing anything, and has never worked.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You do know you can go to the control panel and go to Programs and Features and uninstall drivers from there, right?

Nitsua on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm using a Linksys USB wifi adapter on my sons compuyter and haven't had any trouble with it. Guess I got lucky.

clsCorwin on