As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

M=<{A,B,C,[chat]},{0,1},0,{1},δ,A,{[chat]}>

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Is this how other people feel about Achewood? I never really found this particular comic that funny. It's as if I'm aware of the existence of the punchline, but I can't quite pull myself over to the "it's funny" side. Maybe I don't fully 'get it.'

Is this how people who defend Achewood feel? I feel like reaching through my monitor and batting you over the head.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    An American Carol is as bad as you could ever imagine from reading a quick description. christtttttttTTTTTTTT

everyone in this movie can fucking die in a fire. It's attempting to be political, and the jokes that make any sense to their worldview are both terribly unfunny and awful arguments. the rest are either coming from nowhere or from the other side, and are still themselves awful jokes.

wow, their argument before they bring in three ghosts (going to be changing before that) is told in a scene reminiscent of The Sandlot, with JFK stepping out of the TV, talking to fake Michael Moore to make sure he listens to the rest of his speech, then saying part of his speech ("oppose all foes") while looking into the camera.

it seems like a movie someone from here would make to make fun of how bad conservatives are at comedy. also there is a Farley in it and I don't believe their acting consists of anything but mimicking Christ Farley and despise them in anything, but that might be an irrational thing.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You're sitting in your chair and decide to get up to go to the bathroom. You get up, go and come back, only to find yourself still sitting in the chair. The you in the chair seems as alarmed as you are, but you're both certain that the other is also you.

WHAT DO THE BOTH OF YOU DO?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You're sitting in your chair and decide to get up to go to the bathroom. You get up, go and come back, only to find yourself still sitting in the chair. The you in the chair seems as alarmed as you are, but you're both certain that the other is also you.

rare chance to make out with myself

Greeper on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elldren wrote: »

Is this how other people feel about Achewood? I never really found this particular comic that funny. It's as if I'm aware of the existence of the punchline, but I can't quite pull myself over to the "it's funny" side. Maybe I don't fully 'get it.'

Is this how people who defend Achewood feel? I feel like reaching through my monitor and batting you over the head.

I don't defend it, exactly. And maybe it seemed inconsiderate how I phrased what I said. It certainly wasn't meant to sound conceited.

I've heard criticisms about the comic that the jokes aren't obvious, and for that it's retarded. I generally feel the same about Hark! A Vagrant. Not that it's retarded. I don't have the muster to be so belligerent. I just don't generally enjoy them is all. I was merely commenting on my supposition that the feelings are comparable.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Still enjoying: Lenny Dykstra's bankruptcy.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh thank god that HIV H/A thread got locked. It was like watching a train wreck; horrifying and fascinating.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

This is an H/A thread if I ever saw one.

Edit: Also, TimeSplitters: Future Perfect tournament. May the best me win.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited December 2009

First of all we wait it out to see if one of us goes away. A few days, maybe a week.

Then we decide to split work days. And we definitely help each other study. We also invest in a bigger TV so we can split screen. Having an exact copy of yourself is, like, the perfect way for testing game balance, if not your own mettle.

And we'd probably think of clever ways to commit crimes.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    It took me a while to discover that non-profits aren't just charities with volunteers.

That too.

Honestly, it makes me wonder what the world would be like if all the companies in it were required to function as not for profit. I mean, reinvesting your proceeds into your people or some R&D rather than pay out a quarter to a stockholder just seems like the most sensible thing for a company to do...but most of them don't.

Pretty much this. Put simply, a piece of stock is a loan that can never be repaid. It's really kind of a terrible idea - and the fact that we call buying stock "investment" when, unless you're actually buying it from the company, it's nothing of the kind - just makes it worse.

It is not a loan, it is a (much divided) piece of ownership.

The real problem is when governance no longer responds to the owners (that is, everyone with stock)

That's the semantic distinction that the market is founded on, yeah - but stock is issued, by and large, to raise money for the company, but through an accident of history people who buy it are treated as owners rather than bondholders.

Economies are grown through productive investment, which is to say, by taking unused land, labor, and capital and turning them into productive enterprises. The big problem with our system is that we've convinced ourselves that swapping infinitesimal bits of ownership - which really serve as proxy bets on the profitability of a given company - counts as investment, but it doesn't. If I buy a piece of IBM or Union Carbide, IBM isn't getting that money to use to expand their operations, the money is going to a guy who bought stock from a guy who bought stock from a guy...the actual act of investment happened decades or even a century ago.

The thing is that having all these pieces of ownership - pieces of debt owed by a company to random people around the world - distorts the decisionmaking process. Everything a public company does is done on behalf of people who have very often never contributed a single dime or drop of sweat to its operation. Nobody is surprised when a shopkeeper does something bad that benefits himself, it's an understandable slice of human nature, but corporations do things that are terrible to the people who comprise them for the benefit of other people who don't!

What I'd do in Jacobtopia is offer zero-interest government loans to public corporations to buy back their stock en masse, with future profits to be distributed equitably among employees. Tax breaks for investment would be tightened to only include actual investment - the transformation of inputs into productive goods - rather than what is essentially a vast legalized system of zero-sum transfer payments.

I don't think you can expect the market to actually survive that.

And honestly, corporations do equally terrible things to the stockholders (that is, the people who actually comprise the company, not the employees) due to the absolutely horrific standards of corporate governance in this country, largely for the benefit of the few stockholders and employees who actually govern the company.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The required knowledgebase is different.

In Beaton's case it's history.

In Onstad's case it's poetry as recited by dogs-who-have-the-informed-attribute-of-cat.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    the weirdest dreams you have are invariably the ones which sort of make sense, but not really

because they're coherent enough to remember clearly, and the details just confuse you all the more in retrospect

like i dreamed up a mystery story about a grizzled detective who took in a one-legged black boy who witnessed a scissor murder in an alleyway, and when the black boy called out the killer all the people were blank paper rabbit cutouts, and the boy's rabbit was made of black paper and holding a paper crutch

and it had a commercial break that consisted of a lone woman singing the following lyrics:
    who will go dancing, oh who will go dancing with me?
    (who will go dancing and who will go dancing)
    and who will say gopher, and who will say gopher, too?
    (who will say gopher and who will say gopher

freud's beard would probably catch fire if he had to deal with shit like that on a daily basis

Rust on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think Freud's beard did catch fire. Retrospectively.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hark! A Vagrant is pretty awesome.

Also best t-shirt ever.

James on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

First of all we wait it out to see if one of us goes away. A few days, maybe a week.

Then we decide to split work days. And we definitely help each other study. We also invest in a bigger TV so we can split screen. Having an exact copy of yourself is, like, the perfect way for testing game balance, if not your own mettle.

And we'd probably think of clever ways to commit crimes.

I have no idea what the police would do if they found both airtight evidence and an airtight alibi. I probably wouldn't risk it with crimes.

Also, Greeper is, like, inside my brain. The very first thing I would do is walk over to myself and start making out. I'd kiss passionately for 30 seconds straight, pull away, look deep into my eyes and shout: "YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD" in perfect unison.

Edit: This is the best top of the page ever.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Is there a physiological explanation for why I'm usually so horny when I'm sick?

Organichu on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    I don't think you can expect the market to actually survive that.

What market? The stock market? I'd rather it didn't. It's like we came up with the perfect way to alienate not only laborers from the product of their labor but investors from the realities of their investment.

If you mean the economy at large, well, I obviously disagree. While I understand the need for trained management I do think that the people doing the work in any organization are probably better-equipped to make decisions about it than boardmembers whose only qualification is the utterly arbitrary one that they happen to own a bunch of the company's debt.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Encourage the second me to move out. Sure, duplicate mes sound like a good idea, but where will he sleep? What's the food budget going to be like. Also, read the part of Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers which covers the Episode "Me^2" for why living with yourself isn't necessarily the best thing.

Now if I could split and reform myself at will, I'd get at least five or six jobs.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Is there a physiological explanation for why I'm usually so horny when I'm sick?

In the most pedantic way possible, yes.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The stock market really needs to be turned on its head.

Like, bare minimum, we need to get rid of anything but basic bonds and stock trading. Derivatives trading is primarily just regulation-dodging.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I find the stock market disconcerting: It feels like it spins money into existance because you believe enough, and yet if enough people doubt, then it vanishes with a small puff of smoke.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Like, bare minimum, we need to get rid of anything but basic bonds and stock trading. Derivatives trading is primarily just regulation-dodging.

What would be the arguments of someone who is against your opinion. I like playing devil's advocate for purely intellectual and academic reasons, but in economics, I'm out of my field, so I need someone else to do it for me.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I find the stock market disconcerting: It feels like it spins money into existance because you believe enough, and yet if enough people doubt, then it vanishes with a small puff of smoke.

and if it vanishes anyway, then that is in no way the fault of the small handful of businessmen who have suddenly and inexplicably become several billion dollars richer

Rust on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

That's how money works.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Got a date this week! And I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm hot so this is good.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

What would be the arguments of someone who is against your opinion. I like playing devil's advocate for purely intellectual and academic reasons, but in economics, I'm out of my field, so I need someone else to do it for me.

I think the counter-argument is to indicate that Than provided no evidence, citations, predicent, or anything resembling a logical argument to support his position. He just sort of says it.

Which is what we can an "opinion".

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Rust wrote: »

and if it vanishes anyway, then that is in no way the fault of the small handful of businessmen who have suddenly and inexplicably become several billion dollars richer

As little as I know, I still feel that this is a massive simplification of how things work, not just obviously, but the feeling that even essentially or "at core" the stock market works like this is wrong.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Encourage the second me to move out. Sure, duplicate mes sound like a good idea, but where will he sleep? What's the food budget going to be like. Also, read the part of Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers which covers the Episode "Me^2" for why living with yourself isn't necessarily the best thing.

Now if I could split and reform myself at will, I'd get at least five or six jobs.

You are my new best friend. Do let's be friends, oh please!

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

I think the counter-argument is to indicate that Than provided no evidence, citations, predicent, or anything resembling a logical argument to support his position. He just sort of says it.

Which is what we call an "opinion".

Than has his reasons, I presume. He didn't ask his paper 4-way claw thing. Or whatever the fuck it's called.

"Pick a number! 5...4...3...2...1... Now pick a color! P...I...N...K... You want to reimagine the stock market!"

And I simply asked him to provide counter-points.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

As little as I know, I still feel that this is a massive simplification of how things work, not just obviously, but the feeling that even essentially or "at core" the stock market works like this is wrong.

Okay, I'm always willing to dispel my misgivings about stuff: How does it really work?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hates this paper, yes I do.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Monetary value is a social construct, and a really obvious one.

It exists because we collectively agree it exists.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You are my new best friend. Do let's be friends, oh please!

Why the sudden affection? It it because of my m4d Dw4rf3r sk1llz?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Okay, I'm always willing to dispel my misgivings about stuff: How does it really work?

I don't know. I'm just always cautious when anything seems too simple. Especially something run by hundreds or thousands of adults with Ivy League educations who've grown up in another world just so tehy can deal with this shit. It's not the I envy or idolize them.

It's probably more that I resent or even dislike the hicks who get a hard-on for badmouthing anything outside their intellectual bounds.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Hey Than, it's early, but you should know I'll be rolling Westward again, same time in '10.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ooh, the ethics/aesthetics thread could be fun. I must remember to look at it after I finish this paper.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Hey Than, it's early, but you should know I'll be rolling Westward again, same time in '10.
    I'll break out the plastic sheets. :winky:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I don't know. I'm just always cautious when anything seems too simple. Especially something run by hundreds or thousands of adults with Ivy League educations who've grown up in another world just so tehy can deal with this shit. It's not the I envy or idolize them.

It's probably more that I resent or even dislike the hicks who get a hard-on for badmouthing anything outside their intellectual bounds.

except that in cases like this a lot of the "complications" are needless obfuscation to make things look more complex than they really are

that's what bureaucracy is

Rust on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    that's what bureaucracy is

Here is a perfect illustration of what I mean.

Would you say you honestly believe that bureaucracy is arbitrary, pointless obfuscations? Maybe, upon close examination, pointless obstacles appear, but I have a very hard time believing that at any time did someone intentionally create a hurdle for the sole purpose of creating hurdles. They had reasons, maybe foolish ones, but hardly would I believe malicious. Not that it's probably never happened that someone did something just to make things harder, but... Truthfully, I'm not really responding to you guys. I guess I'm venting. I live in a very... frustrating place. I do not like my neighborhood.

It's like the people that get upset if you use "big words."

"Well fuck you," I say, "Different words mean different things, and the reason we have different words and definitions for terms is to ease the fucking process of communication. It's not just to talk over your head, it's so that we can talk about specific phenomenon without having to re-de-fucking-fine 'That other thing' all the damn time."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Rust is a hopeless... I don't even know what to call him.

Cynic is too generous.

Paranoid too harsh.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.