As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MAFIA WARS: PAX East 2010

SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in PAX Archive
(Someone needs to make me some sort of mascot/logo/graphic/slogan for this)

In addition to the uniquely awesome Trading Cards, lets start some other PAX East traditions.

1) Sign-up below

2) I will assign you randomly to one of the 4 colored Mafias

3) Go buy/find:
- 4 bandanas matching the color of your mafia (dollar stores)
- Several plastic spoons

4) Write your forum name on each of the bandanas in marker/pen

5) Bring everything to PAX

HOW TO PLAY:

Players will wear 1 bandana around and about their WAIST. Bandanas must be clearly displayed (attached to belt, hanging out of pocket, etc) just like flag football. Don't forget to write your forum handle on it.

Players will try to assassinate members of other mafias. Assassination is done with a PLASTIC SPOON. Players will attempt to tag other mafia players with their spoon.

Any player tagged with a spoon while NOT holding a spoon of their own looses 1 flag to their assassin. Any player who looses their last flag is dead for the day. They must surrender their last flag to the other player and can NOT kill anyone else for the day.

At the start of each day, each player dawns an additional flag. Flags are like lives, if you make it through day 1 without getting killed, you get 2 flags for day 2. If you get assassinated on day 2, you loose 1 flag but still have another for the day. If you get assassinated again that day, you have to wait for tomorrow to get another life.

At the end of each day, midnight EST, report who you killed in this thread.

PARTICULARS:

- Spoons must be freely held by the fingers/palm. Any attempt to attach spoon to the hand with tape, string, glue, wristband is ILLEGAL and does not count as holding it. Having a spoon in between your fingers counts.

- Spoons may NOT be knocked out of someone's hand in an attempted assassination. If someone's holding their spoon, find another mark.

- One someone looses their last flag for the day, they must wait until the next day to put on another flag. If this upsets you, then don't get killed

- BATHROOMS ARE SAFE ZONES, no assassinations allowed.

- Only your flags are your lives. Other player's flags are just souvenirs for your hard work and stealthy spooning. Wear them with pride for your mafia, and strike fear in the hearts of others.

RED Kills: 0

BLUE Kills: 0

-Rdr

GREEN
Kills: 0

- SoCo_and_Lime

YELLOW Kills: 0

- RainbowTunnel

WAR PROPAGANDA

Submit some pictures, drawings, etc in support of your mafia!

[x] Bolt Bus
[x] Radisson Hotel Boston
[x] Pre-Pax Dinner
[x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

SoCo_and_Lime on

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I certainly don't want to sound like a dick or take anything away from the idea, so please don't take this personally, but:

1) I wouldn't be willing to play this game if it involved me carrying around a spoon, or anything else for that matter. There's way too many other things to do with my hands during PAX.

2) I'd also be kind of wary about wearing bandanas around. I don't think Boston is, like, huge gang territory or anything, but... yeah.

3) For the last few years there have been Assassins games, run by a PAXer, that have gone over very well. Last year we had online registration, online kill confirmation, live score tracking, and some really cool armbands with plasticard Assassins badges. The game works very similarly to your Mafia Wars idea.

I'm not saying bail on the idea, but those are my criticisms. :)

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was considering running an assassin's game instead but my concerns were this:

1) If you get killed day 1 then that's it for the whole weekend. I wanted something with lasting appeal.

2) Mafia Wars would be a more social game instead of just remaining within your circle of friends and only looking out for one specific person at a time.

I'd be willing to run either one really. If people would rather Assassins I'd be willing to work that out too.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    2) I'd also be kind of wary about wearing bandanas around. I don't think Boston is, like, huge gang territory or anything, but... yeah

Unless you plan on wearing it around your head then heading out to East Boston and shouting 'Crips Pride' it's a not an issue. And even then you'll most likely just look like an idiot and have a lot of people stare, point and laugh.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think the idea has some merit, and should I get to PAXEast, then I'd love to play Godfather to a Mafia. :P

One suggestion though: Either a pre- or post-event Mafia meet-up to call the truce and celebrate would make it more memorable. Heck, even doing a pub-crawl or something simliar to the spirit of Tri-Wizard West would make it better. That way, you can meet your assassins, hitmen, and other roles.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dude I'm totally in. Give me my mafia pride! Though this will be somewhat hard to do while in a Pikachu costume, I'll try. Also, if not enough people participate (say, only two or three people in each group), I'm dropping out. Too much hassle for small numbers.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dude I'm totally in. Give me my mafia pride! Though this will be somewhat hard to do while in a Pikachu costume, I'll try. Also, if not enough people participate (say, only two or three people in each group), I'm dropping out. Too much hassle for small numbers.

Awesome.

Yeah this is definitely "more the merrier" type game. I'm hoping to generate a lot of interest

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I know I shouldn't be picky, but could I possibly be on team Yellow? It'd just help me out with the Pikachu costume if I could use yellow with it. Y'know, Pikachu n' yellow. They go together.
    If you don't want to switch me, that's fine.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I know I shouldn't be picky, but could I possibly be on team Yellow? It'd just help me out with the Pikachu costume if I could use yellow with it. Y'know, Pikachu n' yellow. They go together.
    If you don't want to switch me, that's fine.

No problem

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was considering running an assassin's game instead but my concerns were this:

1) If you get killed day 1 then that's it for the whole weekend. I wanted something with lasting appeal.

2) Mafia Wars would be a more social game instead of just remaining within your circle of friends and only looking out for one specific person at a time.

I'd be willing to run either one really. If people would rather Assassins I'd be willing to work that out too.

MarsChelios runs the Assassins game, and it has some features that allow it to last the entire weekend. He (or she?) also has a fantastic website up that allows everyone to enter and keep score throughout the weekend. If you're interested in running something, I'd definitely coordinate it with Mars. :)

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Alright well if he/she already has a set up for it then I'll just let them handle it if they want to run one

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yah, I have to agree with Arco on this one, SoCo. This is pretty much Assassin's with a spin.

No doubt it'd be super fun if there were 25-50 people on each team battling it out.

Assassin's also has a way for people to kill all weekend through the Secondary Tier. You should read all of the rules because there's some good rules on when people decide tie breakers and you should use the list of Safe Zones cause right now its just the bathroom. I wouldn't want to be listening intently to a cool keynote and someone is stabbing me with a spoon haha.

Also, it's be sweet if it we didn't have to use spoons. It'd be really hard to hold it when I'll be juggling a netbook/phone/whatever else all weekend.

However, with that said, add me to the list because I'll probably still play. I just request I be put on the blue team cause thats my favorite color haha.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well I've played this on a large scale and you end up having your spoon somewhere very quickly reachable for when you need it, like attached to your bag strap and such, so it's not like you're literally hand carrying it 24/7. As far as safe zones I'd have to add more.

The game really is only at its best when there's a very large scale of people playing it. I figured with PAX's attendance it wouldn't be hard to get 100+ people involved. I don't know if I'll be able to drum up enough interest based on the replies to far. I also don't know how many con people check the forums.

I'll keep it posted in case there's some massive signing up but I'll judge to see if we have enough by the time PAX gets closer.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You can still put me on the pending roster though. I'll still be down to play.

Rdr on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SoCo, while I have no interest in playing (Ive just got entire too much to do already), from what people have told me, the forums will blow up in the last month and a half before Pax East and Prime, so..... theres that.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The assassin thread has been up for a while now...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png