As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flashing "No O/D" light

siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, more Ford Contour issues.

This morning, I'm going to work, and I have this problem on my '98 Ford Contour, with the "No O/D" button flashing wildly. Now, I don't know where the button might be, but maybe one of you fine folks might.

siliconenhanced on

• Options
    natelukenateluke Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I tried looking up pictures on cardomain, but they didn't really have good interior pictures. I would check the left side of the dash, steering wheel, around the shifter, places like that.

nateluke on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you mean there is a light on your dash near the speedometer and such flashing? If it was a button flashing I think you'd know where the button is. >.>

Also, 'No O/D' sounds like 'No Overdrive', there might be a problem with the transmission. O_o

Aurin on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The O/D off button will illuminate the light, but not make it flash. Flashing O/D light means the tranny control computer is reading a fault somewhere.

Might be a chafed wire, an easily replaced sensor, or it might be transmission death. There'll be a code set in your computer, a shop should be able to pull it for you. Be aware that most shops would rather replace the transmission than actually repair it.

Fats on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    my OD button is on the shifter undernearth the larger button used to switch gears

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fats wrote: »
    The O/D off button will illuminate the light, but not make it flash. Flashing O/D light means the tranny control computer is reading a fault somewhere.

Might be a chafed wire, an easily replaced sensor, or it might be transmission death. There'll be a code set in your computer, a shop should be able to pull it for you. Be aware that most shops would rather replace the transmission than actually repair it.

Also, normally a place like AutoZone will pull the codes for free, I believe. If you don't have a repair shop you trust, that is. :)

Aurin on