As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ready to be locked up at Impel Down it's the [Old One Piece Thread]

• Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I said that when it first happened and everyone went "nah, that wasn't haki" :(
    It's so incredibly obvious that it is haki. When have you ever seen Luffy realise he's in serious danger. He doesn't have a danger sense, he doesn't have any fear. It's also shown as a flash forward type thing and special emphasis is given towards it.
    If it were Zoro or something, somebody who actually thinks in combat, you would have a point about it not being haki but being a danger sense.
    Luffy doesn't think, at all. He acts, he reacts, it's all instinctual. The only explanation that fits with what is known of his character is that his inherent haki is starting to come out and delivered to him a vision that he then reacted to. He looked a bit baffled after it happened, as if he wasn't sure why he hadn't punched anyway. Anything else is adding depth to his fighting style he has never previously shown. Remember when he went tiny and bonked Lucci on the nose anyway? Luffy has no common sense, or any direction but forward and aiming straight at what is in front of him. Precog would let him do this while also being able to dodge viably, without really needing any drastic change to his character.
    And that other snake haki amazon woman thing whatever she was, described it as predicting what your opponent is going to do in the future before he does it, and she described it as if it was a vision she was seeing in her head.
    So does that mean Enel's "mantra" is related somehow to haki, or is it just some separate sky island thing?

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spectre wrote: »
    It's so incredibly obvious that it is haki. When have you ever seen Luffy realise he's in serious danger. He doesn't have a danger sense, he doesn't have any fear. It's also shown as a flash forward type thing and special emphasis is given towards it.
    If it were Zoro or something, somebody who actually thinks in combat, you would have a point about it not being haki but being a danger sense.
    Luffy doesn't think, at all. He acts, he reacts, it's all instinctual. The only explanation that fits with what is known of his character is that his inherent haki is starting to come out and delivered to him a vision that he then reacted to. He looked a bit baffled after it happened, as if he wasn't sure why he hadn't punched anyway. Anything else is adding depth to his fighting style he has never previously shown. Remember when he went tiny and bonked Lucci on the nose anyway? Luffy has no common sense, or any direction but forward and aiming straight at what is in front of him. Precog would let him do this while also being able to dodge viably, without really needing any drastic change to his character.
    And that other snake haki amazon woman thing whatever she was, described it as predicting what your opponent is going to do in the future before he does it, and she described it as if it was a vision she was seeing in her head.
    So does that mean Enel's "mantra" is related somehow to haki, or is it just some separate sky island thing?

I could see it being ret-conned as such, but I don't think it was.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That episode was fantastic.

The dubs at a great point too.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I rationalized Enel's "Mantra" as being related to his devil fruit power..
    Since brain activity is all about electrical pulses to the nerves, he could figure out what people were feeling, thinking, and where they were just by sensing those electrical pulses. A stretch I know, but that's how I figured it worked. Though now that I think about it, that doesn't really explain how his priests would be able to use it.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love the shot of Sengoku in the last page of the latest chapter, he looks like he just shat his pants, and rightly so.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So if the Whitebeard Pirates ARE wiped out, but Ace is saved, does he join Luffy? Didn't he recently get a short flashback?

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Spectre wrote: »

I could see it being ret-conned as such, but I don't think it was.
    That feels like a sky island thing since that little girl had it and all his priests had it.
    But it's probable that mantra was the precursor to the current haki in Oda's head at least. Same with the har! at the fish that Shanks does right at the start. I'd bet rather than having haki in mind right from the start, Oda just had that moment to show how badass Shanks is at the time and then built on it later.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So if the Whitebeard Pirates ARE wiped out, but Ace is saved, does he join Luffy? Didn't he recently get a short flashback?

Nah, I wouldn't bet on it.

Ace is supposed to be the cooler, level-headed version of Luffy, with better abilities and a keen sense of his standing in the world. Having him join would create a big conflict over who would be the star of the show and would downplay Luffy's accomplishments.

Ace is better off doing something else on the side.

Godfather on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Haki with Marineford spoilers:
    I get the feeling there are power levels to haki. The amazon lily people had and could put it into their arrows, and presumably theirs isn't as strong as say Shanks' or Hancock's. It might only be divided into "strong" (main characters) and "weak" (mooks) categories, but there are different levels.

I remember when Luffy saw (in his head) Mihawk cutting off his hands, and one of the translations floating around had Mihawk commenting that Luffy was "gaining experience." I took that to mean that Luffy seeing his hands cut off wasn't haki, it was just Luffy thinking ahead for once. But I could be wrong.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was looking at the episode list for the upcoming streaming dub episodes and man alive is Drum Island long.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was looking at the episode list for the upcoming streaming dub episodes and man alive is Drum Island long.

Drum Island? You sure that's what you meant? It's like 12 episodes.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Drum Island? You sure that's what you meant? It's like 12 episodes.

With enough content for about four.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love how Bon-Chan has the exact same voice actor as Franky and the two characters basically sound identical. They even share the same way of speaking.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "Oh Come My Way"? :?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Which is weird, because don't they call him queer later?

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Marco? Jose? Both down? Luffy using the Royal Haki to activate the Marine's conditioning? Best christmas present ever

Arch on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm at episode 70 now, when the Funi dub was airing on Cartoon Network they began at episode 100 right? Are we seriously going to get Chopper, get to Alabasta, punch this Crocodile guy in the face, take down Baroque Works, leave Alabasta and Vivi and get Robin (not necessarily in that order) in just 30 episodes? Unbelievable.

One question, does anyone know how far along the Dub is? They must have finished Skypeia but eventually they were able to start from the beginning and they've done that.
    I'm just hoping they'll speed through some of the episodes I've already seen. In fact, I remember I didn't enjoy the show to much as it aired on CN. Though it should be a little better this time, now that I know who these characters are, but I've also read posts saying Skypeia is one of the weaker stories.
    Eh well we'll see. As long as they keep up the 3-4 eps a week schedule I'll be happy. I've been quite surprised to see them putting out so many.
    Boy it was stupid of me to start watching a show from episode 1 when there are already 420+ in existence, but I've really been enjoying it. I wish I didn't know so many spoilers, like Ms. All-Sunday, but it doesn't matter too much.

Holy Crap the Arlong fight was so satisfying.
    Punch in the face
    You can't break my teeth!
    I broke your goddamn teeth!
    I'm gonna bite you!
    I'm gonna bite you! I'm gonna bite you with your own fuckin teeth!

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Skypeia is a weaker entry in a really fuck-awesome series, so it's pretty damn great.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    about jose
    man, is his arm not attached to his body anymore? Sucks for him

NotYou on
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only just realized that the marine who gets knocked unconscious on the last page is Jango.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Current manga stuff
    So, I'm kinda curious, have we seen any more of Mr. 3, Mr. 1 or Inazuma since the crew arrived at the battle? Wondering what happened to them. I know Ina is down for the count, but I don't think I've seen the others.

I probably just missed em.

A duck! on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    Current manga stuff
    So, I'm kinda curious, have we seen any more of Mr. 3, Mr. 1 or Inazuma since the crew arrived at the battle? Wondering what happened to them. I know Ina is down for the count, but I don't think I've seen the others.

I probably just missed em.
    Mr. 1 and Croc are together I think, and same with Mr. 3 and Buggy IIRC.

I'm still curious about how the gates opened in the first place, and what Blackbeard's goal at Impel Down was as well.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mr. 1 appeared a couple of times, but Mr. 3 has disappeared.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's a pretty safe bet that he's cowering somewhere.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Or he's gonna make the biggest Candle Robot evar!

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Or he's gonna make the biggest Candle Robot evar!

With two fire-based Logias around?

That would take stones.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It'd be awesome as hell.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm gonna bite you!

I would sig this if I didn't already have the space taken

Godfather on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man. Bon Clay kicks serious ass.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Skypeia is a weaker entry in a really fuck-awesome series, so it's pretty damn great.

It's only weak when you look back on it after reading the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, and the present arc. Thriller Bark wasn't so great, but it gains points for not being as long as Skypeia.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    I'm gonna bite you!

I would sig this if I didn't already have the space taken

Hmm, yeah that sounds good.

Also, speaking of Thriller Bark, I wonder
    How Lola's mom is going to play into things in the future. Random crazy speculation says that she is one of the 4 emperors, but that might be a bit obvious for Oda.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ph blake wrote: »

Hmm, yeah that sounds good.

Also, speaking of Thriller Bark, I wonder
    How Lola's mom is going to play into things in the future. Random crazy speculation says that she is one of the 4 emperors, but that might be a bit obvious for Oda.

Random crazy speculation, GO GO GO
    Yeah, it seems pretty obvious- but it would also make a whole lot of sense. Just look at things: one emperor smacked up Moria real' good. Now, I don't know whether Kidou's gender has been stated at any point, so there's that possibility. I think Moria's and Crocodile's backstory that took place in the New World is going to come into play at some point, so additional points of conflict would make sense.

Even if it means two emperors gang up on poor lil' Moria. :mrgreen:

As for our Anti-Luffy Blackbeard:
    I don't think he'd give up his new position so quickly without gaining anything from it. I mean, seriously- recruiting? He didn't even know that guy would be free again when he entered Impel Down! From a storytelling perspective, I think the real reason he showed up was because Oda noticed Luffy didn't know who caught Ace, and wanted to make sure there's some interaction between the characters before some other events distract from it (such as, dunno, WAR).
    So, my guess?
    He's out there, just waiting at the only exit, so that he can rush in and grab the glory when the time's right.

Anybody else think the current manga arc will finish soon?

Wingo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Early Spoilers:
    Haki discussions abound!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Those spoilers are late.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Miss All-Sunday's voice in the Funimation dub is pretty terrific.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Too bad she never makes a reappearance...

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "Oh Come My Way"? :?

Yea, that part really threw me for a loop. Knowing how the internet works, fans probably wrote an email or six each.

It doesn't even make sense in or out of context.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Err, what? It makes total sense.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Err, what? It makes total sense.

It didn't to me. I guess i'm just used to it being "Okama" way. The word itself looks distinctive and bold, which fits Bon's style.

Edit: quoting since I got ToTP.

tallgeeze on
This discussion has been closed.