As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend] me some space combat sims

mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
Since I've quickly moved on from killing der turrists, now i want to fly around in space and blow shit up.

Basically, looking for things in the hardcore sim area (Freespace), arcade-y sort of things (Starfox, Rogue Squadron) and stuff in the middle ground (Colony Wars). My one condition is that somebody who enjoyed all of the afforementioned games enjoys what's recommended. GO GO

EDIT: Oh, it doesn't really matter what console they're on, but it'd be easier for me to get current gen console games.

mr-razzcocks on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you can grab them, of course Wing Commander 3, 4, and Prophecy. Just because they're Wing Commander.

X3 is also great as it allows for considerable roaming around and doing other things than just following the story. Freelancer is also excellent in this regard, though the combat is a bit weird. You do everything with the mouse, which makes it feel like a 3d space-shooter Diablo. Still, awesome game.

Or you could just play Freespace 2 again. That's always great.

I hear there are some excellent TCs for Freespace 2, as well, but I've never tried any.

Edit: Independence War 2 is also a great space shooter that I highly recommend, and it is one of those "critically acclaimed, but not commercially successful" titles. The same is true for Starlancer, which is also one of the only Dreamcast titles that I believe still runs online.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I hear there are some excellent TCs for Freespace 2, as well, but I've never tried any.

The "Babylon 5: I've Found Her" stuff is supposed to be pretty good. There's also The Babylon Project, but I haven't heard much about it until now. Then there's Shadows of Lylat, which is still a work in progress (no public version out yet) but looks pretty cool.

Also, I'd like to second the Freelancer recommendation. It's quite fun. And if you want a new recommendation, Tachyon: The Fringe is on sale via Steam until January 3rd.

*sigh*

This thread is making me wish professional developers still made space flight sims...

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We had a huge thread a while back about Space Sims, but I haven't been able to locate it with searches. The OP had a ton of good info about lots of games. Maybe someone else can do a better job of finding it than me.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you want something on a console you should take a look at Project Sylpheed. They did an awesome job adapting space sim controls to the 360 controller, and it's pretty fun. It wasn't really for me personally, but it might work for you. Should be dirt cheap by now, too.

For the PC I'll second Shadowfire's recommendations for Starlancer and Freelancer.

Oh, and if you never played Wing Commander: Privateer, it would be in your best interests to either play the original or look into one of the fanmade graphics upgrade projects.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd already spotted Tachyon: The Fringe on the Steam sale, it's what got me suddenly interested in playing this stuff again. I swear i had it on disc at some point. will certainly grab that, I think.

Keep 'em coming, people

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Project Sylpheed (Silpheed?) for the 360 is pretty good.

It's sort've an arcade-y Japanese take on Freespace 2, or something.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know how is stacks up today, but Tie Fighter is an awesome game.

At least I remember it that way

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.