Options

Upgrading a prebuilt computer

FazeyFazey Registered User regular
I just bought an acer desktop from ncix because my old one is 3 years old and obsolete.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=40788&vpn=PT%2ESC10X%2E018&manufacture=Acer&promoid=1130

I usually build my own but I've been playing less and less, so I bought it because it seemed like a decent deal and I don't need a high end computer anymore. I bought it mostly just the surf the internet and do some video editing and encoding, but I occassionally play a few games as well.

I might try using it to play L4D2 with friends and was wondering what video card you guys would recommend. I'd like to avoid replacing the PSU, but I can if I need to. I don't really need it to run on high settings, just moderate or low-moderate settings would be fine.

Thanks!

Fazey on

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You'll need to crack it open and take a look at the PSU, they probably won't list it's specs anywhere.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Actually it does list it right there, Power Supply: 220W.

Which does limit you from a lot of the higher end stuff. I'm in sort of the same boat, mine is 300W which I think limits me to a GeForce 9600.

Scooter on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Even replacing the power supply, you have to take into account the amount of physical space you have inside the chassis to accommodate a video card. You'll want to open it up and measure before buying anything, just to be sure.

travathian on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, 220W. I was going to recommend a 5770 as those are very low power requirements and are relatively cheap and will last you a long time. However a 220W power supply is too low.

Antec has a power supply calculator that's pretty good and should help you decide on a card/power supply. http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Actually it does list it right there, Power Supply: 220W.

Which does limit you from a lot of the higher end stuff. I'm in sort of the same boat, mine is 300W which I think limits me to a GeForce 9600.

I was actually thinking of more along the amps per rail and such, but that's so low it doesn't really matter. New power supply is in order.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    FazeyFazey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, new power supply it is. I have a few spare Antec ones lying around anyways.

Fazey on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That looks like a slimline style case. Make sure a full size video card will even fit in there.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on