As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - RECRUIT] GIANT ANTS : Looking for Leader and/or Striker/Controller

tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Critical Failures
G I A N T ¤ A N T S
ITS FRAKKING ANTS, MAN.

This is a short adventure featuring giant ants, and of course other monsters, attacking a town. This thread is a recruitment thread for two RESERVE spots, as it's kinda post holiday and they're not around! OH NOES!@?!!!@#$ D:

Anyway, The reserve spot is open for a leader and striker roles only. If you are interested in potentially playing a leader or striker in this game, please see below.

A. A bunch of sentences that describe how the game is run.
Table:
Current title: GIANT ANTS COLON ITS FUCKING ANTS, MAN.
Time Zone: I live in the Eastern Standard Time Zone, so the play time will kind of be more favorable to that zone. (8am-12am) or something similar to that, assuming RL doesn't kick my ass.
Starting Level: 2 - See DMG for information on starting a second level character.
Creation rules: 22 Points Flat (And a 3d3-5 Roll). The roll is of mechanical importance. Do not roll it yet.
Target start: Already active.
Medium: PBP only
Maptool version: N/A
Maptools Session Length: N/A
The Table - Rules: Not too serious/rigid interpretation of the ruleset.
The Table - Content: Look at the title. Think.
Difficulty: Challenging would be the word for this.
Experience Required: A basic understanding of how to play would be great?
Books Required: Any 4E content is allowed, at my discretion. Don't be a dick?

List of acceptable races:
  • All PHB Races.
  • All PHB2 Races, yes. even Deva.
  • Robats are allowed too (Warforged)

Be it because their flavour doesn't fit the game or because I just don't like em as player characters, the others aren't acceptable at all. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that may cause.

List of acceptable classes:
  • I am specifically looking for a reserve leader, and a reserve striker.
  • I'm going to have to pass on monks, assassins, barbarians, and ardents. Sorry.
  • This game has the amenities and tech level of an late 1800s era civilization, including indoor plumbing. I still haven't figured out why I put this sentence here.

B. What am I looking for?
To the extent that is reasonably possible, I would say being able to post at least once a day is a must. Being able to post more would be nice. The base requirements for playing would be that you participate in the IC thread - post a day, at least... hopefully more? I'm fairly active during the weekdays with posting, barring any unusual RL circumstances or being busy. I don't expect you to live and breathe this, it's just a game ffs, but yea... it is just a game, meaning if you don't post you shouldn't feel slighted if you're replaced or whatever.

Really important note: activity includes non-combat. Despite its brevity and absurdity, it's still a roleplaying game. A party full of strong, silent types is not what I'm looking for, even with this game. All characters should be made with the baseline assumption that they will join a group for this adventure. Also, no evil characters. So, what am I looking for at this point?

A post, with the following responses:
1) Current pbp games you are in or run. If you feel you were awesome in some game or whatever you can mention past ones too?
2) Availability M-F for maek post, and time zone you are in.
3) A brief description of your striker or leader character's appearance and personality.
4) You woke up in the morning because the alarm ritual gave a warning, and you don't think you're going to make it on time. By the time you grab your sword(or rod, or whatever) and you give yourself a look you're on the battlefield just in time to see the airships fly by… (Behind a spoiler, reply in character to that).

You don't need to fully generate a character, I don't expect one here. Just what I asked for in this post is fine, especially because this is just a reserve post.

At this point since I'm not sure of the situation, I'm only looking for a player candidates in the event that my dudes have gone on a forum vacation sufficiently long enough to put the needs of the many over the needs of the few or w/e. They were a leader and a striker! You don't need to reserve a post, not like there's a line or whatever. It's highly likely that my recruiting pattern for this will continue to skew towards people who haven't had a chance to be in any games though (just in general). I would prefer that you only put in one submission here per person.

The tone of this game runs more on the lines of a "B-horror movie." That said, it'd be a good idea to have a concept that falls along the lines of characters found in such movies.

So in summary: I'm looking for a leader and striker characters in the event that I need a new leader and/or striker character. A brief post with what I asked for in part B is sufficient. I don't need more and please don't bother with less. Please do not PM me with your concept and if you have any other questions about this just post them here, thanks.

PS: No Shaman. Just kidding. No, I'm not.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
tastydonuts on

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1) Current pbp games you are in or run. If you feel you were awesome in some game or whatever you can mention past ones too?
    No current pbp's

Pacific time zone, easy to make posts several times a day.

3) A brief description of your striker or leader character's appearance and personality.
    Matthias is a half-elf cleric, long golden locks and sky blue eyes. He is clean shaven, all the time. He is a bit of an egomaniac; confident that he can accomplish anything but requiring heaps of recognition when he does even the simplest of tasks. He is the right man for your job, no matter what the task. And if he's not, he'll find a way to get somebody else to do it for him. He is an action hero in every sense of the word: daring, suave, and most of all, totally clueless.

4) You woke up in the morning because the alarm ritual gave a warning, and you don't think you're going to make it on time. By the time you grab your sword(or rod, or whatever) and you give yourself a look you're on the battlefield just in time to see the airships fly by… (Behind a spoiler, reply in character to that).
    Matthias ran his gauntlet through his hair and flashing a cheesy smile before loudly announcing, 'Fear not citizens, I have arrived. The battle is not yet lost. FOR GLORY!'

Unsheathing his sword he charges forward with a loud roar and breaks into a full sprint. Shortly afterwords he becomes tired and slows his pace. 'How far away is the battle?!' Matthias slows to a walk and runs his gauntlet through his hair again. He says to himself, 'Not to worry Matthias, your entrance will be glorious. Bards will sing epic songs of your heroic deeds in saving the day.'

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alrighty, I'll take a closer look @ your post when I close this out Rysk, which will be on 1/22/2010 at the latest. I think at this point the spots are pretty much gonna be replacements~

Also add Controller to the list of roles, but not Psions. I edited the topic to reflect this, and I'll update the body of the OP accordingly sometime either tonight or tomorrow.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Reserved, cause dammit I want in another game. What's the current breakdown of the existing party, minus those whom you're replacing?

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    one day, I'll include that with the post or update the template to remind me to do that... one day. anyhoo, as taken from the OOC:

Baern (Invoker, Divine, Dwarf, Controller) [Dortmunder] (Sheet)
    Calls down divine light to kick ass in the name of Moradin... is anything else necessary?
    Inutchuk (Fighter, Martial, Goliath, Defender) [Horseshoe] (Sheet)
    Giant ants meet giant... man.
    Quinnten (Sorcerer, Arcane, Human, Striker) [SnowSquall] (Sheet)
    Once a farmer, now a sorcerer, beware his frosty dragon breath.

And those who may be departing... :U

Ginnaletha (Artificer, Arcane, Eladrin, Leader) [Cleonicus] (Sheet)
    Character Summary.
    Yarek Ironheart (Ranger, Martial, Dwarf, Striker) [Mike Danger] (Sheet)
    Every group has a crazy survivor of some unknown horror that doesn't make sense at all. Yarek's entire village was killed by giant ants. Ridiculous, huh?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    working on a character for this now

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    -Though I haven't been in any D&D php games, in SE I was a member of Glossolalia from almost the beginning, and I'm also a member of Gloss presents: The RADlands. In CF I've only been a part of a few games such as phalla and Betrayal, but I've followed along with many of the 4e games this past year, and I feel as though I'm finally ready to actually join in the fun

-I'm pretty available during the week, aside from school and such, and I'm usually on the forums everyday. I live in California, so PST

Zacharich Braff - Human Tactical Warlord

Zachariah is a large man, standing at about 6'2" and weighing in at around 280 pounds. With his broad shoulders, black eyepatch, and a face reminiscent of Ahab (minus the haunting visage), Zach is the perfect build for a sea captain, or so he was. After a particularly viscous battle at sea, his entire outfit was destroyed, and presumably died, under his command. He awoke the next day, barely conscious and set adrift aboard a large plank of wood, but alive. His makeshift raft floated along for another few days before finally landing in Ambrose, where he was taken in by a local farming family. He had only just begun working on the farm in exchange for rent, when the ants attacked.

4) You woke up in the morning because the alarm ritual gave a warning, and you don't think you're going to make it on time. By the time you grab your sword(or rod, or whatever) and you give yourself a look you're on the battlefield just in time to see the airships fly by…
    Gripping the handle of his sword, Zachariah ponders the motive of the ants attack, and how it could be at all relevant to the battle.

That is, if I get to the battle in time

"How far away did Marybelle say this place was?", He announces to no one in particular, "If we were aboard one of those airships, we would have surely been there by now"

Walking is such a pain in the ass, although I suppose it is a must. I still don't understand why those prissy little airship captains wouldn't let me aboard. I was probably serving before those little ingrates were in diapers.

Up ahead, the sounds of battle begin to echo across the hills. The screams of the dieing seem to blend in with the sounds of metal on flesh, and vice versa. The image of his former ship up in flames flashes across Zach's eyelids, and he grips his sword tighter still.

Gods, I hope we get there in time...

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    1. Currently in two, now defunct games - Arivia's FR game and Figgy's KotS, which just got put on hold.
    2. Available at most all times, in Mountain Time Zone
    3. Tanglar Half-breed, Half-Orc Avenger of Melora
    Tanglar stands tall and muscled, yet seems afraid to assert himself, somehow ashamed. His face is brutish, showing clearly his orcish heritage. His head is shaven bald, but he wears fabrics of multiple colored dyes, from various plants. He will not talk of his background or where he comes from, and is prone to bursts of anger in his otherwise placid, naturalistic profile.

Tanglar's mother was found by elvish agents of a temple of Melora, after a brutish orc raid on a human village. Normally, the elves would have left her as a sacrifice to nature, yet something stayed their hand. Nine months later, Tanglar was born. While his mother died in childbirth, Tanglar lived, destined for something greater. The druids and priests raised Tanglar, but the proud elves told him from birth that his nature, part human and part orc, was a sin against the natural order, an abomination. Training him in martial abilities, they taught him that only by bringing nature's justice to abominations like himself could Melora ever forgive the sin of his birth. For his first assignment, his masters in his temple have told him to seek out a colony of ants, enlarged beyond natural means, and eradicate them.
    Picture:
    PZO9208-HalfOrc.jpg
    4. You woke up in the morning because the alarm ritual gave a warning, and you don't think you're going to make it on time. By the time you grab your sword(or rod, or whatever) and you give yourself a look you're on the battlefield just in time to see the airships fly by… (Behind a spoiler, reply in character to that).
    "Six o'clock already? I was just in the middle of a dream."
    Tanglar looks up, forlornly, at the airships receding in the distance. He turns around and punts the squirrel following behind him. "Dumb beast, I told you to wake me up in time!" He feels a twinge of anguish at the act - what right does he, a monster, have to hurt a pure animal? - but that feeling fades as he considers the miles of walking ahead of him. "They probably didn't want a thing like me with them and left early. No rest for the wicked, I suppose."

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    K. So as it is there's two leaders and a striker.

Some notes re strikers in general, as well as leaders. Not so much for you to build a sheet from, but just to give a better indicator of what vague idea I"m looking for were it to be expressed in powers and abilities.

Leaders may want to try and get a little bit of well, oomph with healing. Damage is likely to be spread out as when the titular Giant Ants arrive.

Strikers may want to consider having some kind of controller utility in design. There will be ants.

Controllers are fine.

Anyhoo, gonna wait to see how this all plays out before I give what's posted a deeper look. Thanks for your interest!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Currently in Shoe's Star Wars game, previously in Shoe's Odam game. Not sure how awesome I am but hopefully awesome enough.
    EST, available during the day for RP posting but since I can't bring my books to work, fights would have to be after 7pm or so. Unless someone is willing to answer mechanics questions during the day, that is.
    The_Archer_by_oddpixels.jpg
    Jenny Pope is a tall, lanky girl with a tendency to stoop a bit, favoring function over fashion in her wardrobe. As a child, her favorite game was Hide and Seek, which she played with an unnatural amount of patience and which had the side effect of encouraging her to explore new places to hole up. She's strong-willed but relatively passive-aggressive when crossed, so she avoids conflict but will simply do what she wants regardless or will just sort of go heavy at people and do nothing. If she has to hit something, she prefers to do it from as far away as possible. In a few words: amiable, cautious, patient, curious, stubborn.
    "Where's the front lines, then?" Jenny asks, shouldering her bow. "Right, splendid, I'll be in the back behind some trees if you need me."

"Go to the front? Do I look like infantry to you?"

"I don't care where the other archers are!"

"Yes, of course I have a sword as well, but if it's come to that then I should probably be showing them my backside anyhow."

"Fine, whatever you say."

"I told you where I'm going, to the bloody forest!"

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    a) do you approve of multiple character submissions? I have another character idea.
    b) relatedly, do you allow Hybrids?

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Assuming by Controllers are fine you mean I can submit a wizard..

None.

I'm good all week to maek poast. I'm in EST.

Evosin-Dwarf Wizard (Lots of cold spells)
    Evosin stands at 4'5" nothing special for a dwarf. Weighing in at 175lb he looks as silly as you can imagine for a dwarf in cloth armour. He hails from the mountains and thus only believes in spells that invoke the same sensation of cold harsh winds that he had to deal with most of his life. He has a large brown beard and a receding hair line that he could care less about. Those who mock him about it receive a punch to the face. He hates insects hell hates things that look like insects and closes both eyes and widly cast spells or breaks down and whimpers. You should have been there at the feast when a spider was present in the pie. Conjured up wizard curtains and cried oh how did he cry.

"What are we fighting? I heard the alarm woke me from my ale induced slumber I barely had time to braid my beard!" .... "ANTS YOU SAY?" Evosin begins to cry and a pair of curtains fly up to shield his face.

After some time has passed "Well I don't have to touch them do I?"

I'm awful at writing but I hope to have some fun with this.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    @tzeen: I would prefer that you only put in one submission here per person. [strike]it's totally ballot stuffing for a player when I randomly pick a character.[/strike]

Hybrids are kind of a no go. I don't have anything against them, it's just that there isn't enough info out there on them for them to be played in a mechanically smooth manner, imo. unless there's been another article(s) posted about hybrids since the first two. I don't really follow the magazines at all.

@Quoth: well, on your character sheet all your powers and junk would be there for you! So you probably won't need the book at all save for leveling really.. there's online info too via ddi. the rest of the rules knowledge would be pretty much ask-basis. it's my job to know D:

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okies. Decision time~

In addition to how many games were played and the other information asked for, one of the major factors for consideration for this particular round of replacing was how easily/smoothly I could insert a character into the ongoing narrative while removing two characters in the process. Since I absolutely needed a leader, that meant that the positioning was kinda dependent on which one of the two leaders I picked.

Since both characters would basically end up being put in the same way and both haven't been in any pbps here, it came down to mechanics. And mechanically, I was aiming more towards a more healing balanced leader, and well... Cleric. Even as a battle cleric (which is what the character reads more as, I think) Recovery Strike alone gives the edge. So! The role of leader will be going to REG Rysk.

As far as the Striker/Controller spot goes, it was interesting. Two of you could be written in as victims of circumstance, which kind of gels well with the way most of the party has come together. I kind of liked that approach more than having two people just walk into where the party is from outside, which was the situation that I decided on for the leader, so I ran with that. Given close quarter nature of how both the next encounter and the ants in general will be fighting, another melee/close ranged combatant seemed like less of a good idea, given my assumption that the cleric isn't a full-on healing kind of character. Since one character has a fear of insects, it he seemed would be unlikely to be around an abandoned mansion by a lake, as there would be tons of insects there, not even of the giant variety. So, the striker/controller spot goes to Quoth.

I waited until friday as this should provide sufficient time for you guys to generate full level 2 characters, as per dmg and all. If you have any questions regarding this, or if you can't play, lemme know. Thanks again for your interest.

So, TL;DR version: REG Rysk's Cleric and Quoth's ranger (looks/reads like a ranger, could be a seeker) are it. Thanks for posting!

also~ there is a third game I do plan on running soonish (in the coming months?) as well.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    D'oh! Oh well. Have fun guys!

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll create him now so you have a stat sheet etc.

Just to clarify on magic items, because I know it's jacked up prior to level 5 really, a level 1, 2, 3 and level 1 item in gold?

Also need to know if choice of Diety matters...I want him to be of Sune because, as he would say, 'she is hot'

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yep, that's right, and Sune is fine.

The game leans towards a loose ruleset, to keep it in line with its B-Movie roots.

Either of you can post your sheets on MW or Orokos... Your choice. I prefer MW since it doesn't require me to log into DDI in order to view a power description though. I don't know if you have DDI Quoth, but if you do, you can throw your stuff up there too.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm at home sick today, so I can do both for you. I like MW because it can keep track of my HP a little more 'realtime'

Here's Matthias on Orokos

EDIT: The MW one

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    For the purposes of what we are doing and the background I outlined, does Dungeoneering or Nature make more sense? It almost seems to depend on whether the places my character has explored were predominantly manmade or natural.

Edit: nevermind, I just took both.

Quoth on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn I knew that fear would came back to haunt me! If only I could say it was for the greater good.

Ah well have fun all making that little character was fun now I have something to go to in case something else comes up.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dang, I had just finished reading through the IC and OOC for this campaign

oh well I suppose

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's my sheet, please advise as to whether I did things right. I left the damage stuff blank because it seems like there were too many contingencies for it to be worth filling out.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    @REG Rysk: Cool! On your MW-sheet your class bonus to WILL, and ENCH bonus to AC are missing. It looks like you can only move backwards but I'm sure you know what your speed is. ;p

I thought you would have picked different powers though, lol.

Since you're leaving 2 of you NADs kind of low, you may want to invest in an Amulet of Protection +1. iirc there's one floating in the party currently, but you wouldn't be able to get it as you're kind of coming in just at the start of a major fight. :U

@Cow: Yea, if it was the start of the game then the fear would have worked out nicely. But in the current situation, it worked against you.

@Tommy: Sorry! D:

@Quoth: everything is wrong! ;p

Kidding! But you do get your choice of 1 level 3 magic item, 1 level 2 magic item, 1 level 1 magic item and 360 gp since you're starting off at level 2.

Looking at your scores you've put 14 into STR but you lean more towards ranged combat (primaries would be DEX/WIS/CON). A score set of 10 STR/12 CON/18 DEX/10 INT/16 WIS/10 CHA may be a little more efficient, or if you want to fully optimize your strengths at the expense of everything else, you can go with a 10 STR/11 CON/20 DEX/10 INT/14 WIS/8 CHA build. I would recommend against that though. You can keep it as is too, totally your call.

You do need the magic items though (math of the game pretty much requires em). Again, an Amulet of Protection is recommended (it's a level 1 item, costs 360 gp). I don't know if you have adventurer's vault or not but if you want more options for items, you can actually just download the character builder trial from wizard's. I think it has everything for a character all up to level 3. That's about it for now.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If anything this character does MAKES SENSE, tell me, because I'm doing it wrong.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I figured that given the various abilities and feats, having the Dex maxed wasn't going to do too much more good, and I wanted to be safe on the off chance that something actually got close enough to whack me. But if you think it would work better for me to nerf Str a bit, I defer to your wisdom.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you plan to be ranged, you will want more DEX. If you plan to do both, what you got is good. What you have now will make hitting sorta tough, and damage (other than on twin strike) kinda rough too.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yea. There's some other ways you can shuffle the points around, but it's really up to you. Another alternate score set for the ranged/melee balance the green one below.
    14 STR/12 CON/16 DEX/11 INT/15 WIS/10 CHA <-- Current Scores

14 STR/11 CON/18 DEX/10 INT/14 WIS/10 CHA <-- Ranged Favored Balance?

10 STR/12 CON/18 DEX/10 INT/16 WIS/10 CHA <-- Balanced Ranged

10 STR/11 CON/20 DEX/10 INT/14 WIS/8 CHA <-- Maximized Ranged

But in the end, you may be just fine with what you have. While the game definitely leans towards a "challenging" difficulty, I'm not going to murder you guys. Much.

The magic itams are must though, and then you're good to go. Though I'd suggest throwing up the power descriptions into your sheets so you won't need the books for teh combats too~.

Since you guys are really part of the game now though, I think we should direct further posts into the OOC thread so as not to bump other games/etc off the first page anymore than I do with my game threads already. ;p

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    looks good to me, will realign to that green option and direct further posts to ooc thread

Quoth on