Options

Corporate America, Or, Everything you believe has been sold to you

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    pffft the only reason Europeans shop less than Americans (if that's even true) is because of higher costs of living, higher prices on consumer goods, and higher taxes.

Asians are far more consumption obsessed (well countries like Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore) and they have lower tax rates than the US (something like 20% for the average person)

Sam on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Asians are far more consumption obsessed (well countries like Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore)...

What do you base this on?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Asians are far more consumption obsessed (well countries like Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore)...

Reality.

Sam on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Reality.

I AM ENLIGHTENED!!!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Americans may spend more overall, but lower cost of living=more consumption in any society that isn't third world.

Sam on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did reality provide any sort of numbers to back up your claim?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Reality.

I AM ENLIGHTENED!!!

actually i always thought asians saved more. when i was in japan, it was my understanding that they saved like 20 or 30% of their salaries.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    and before you jump on me for saying Japan and low living costs in the same sentence, keep in mind that i you don't live in Tokyo, Japan can be a far less money hemorrhaging place to live than the U.S

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ketherial wrote: »

Reality.

I AM ENLIGHTENED!!!

actually i always thought asians saved more. when i was in japan, it was my understanding that they saved like 20 or 30% of their salaries.

They're also being taxed less.

And since adults live at home longer, they save on rent.

This plus the vastly cheaper food costs enable them to spend more on consumer goods.

Oh, and the goods themselves tend to be cheaper. I'm not sure about Japan but I know that in Hong Kong there's no sales tax.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, why dont we play a game. We'll start with you making ONE citation for (Japan, China, Singapore) having higher per capita consumption rates of ANYTHING, and I'll respond with two citations for the actual situation, until someone concedes their point.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    AsleepAsleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Comparing GDP per capita by purchasing power parity would also imply that Americans have more money to spend on "useless" stuff, correct?

Asleep on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't think per capita consumption rates exist for "retail shopping"

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Asleep wrote: »
    Comparing GDP per capita by purchasing power parity would also imply that Americans have more money to spend on "useless" stuff, correct?

yes and no. Americans may be better off financially, but buying clothes and electronics is more expensive, and Americans tend to have higher living expenses- suburban houses have higher utility bills, the commuter lifestyle and the lack of public transport mean expenses for gas, car maintenance and insurance, the necessity for health insurance, and as I mentioned before, higher taxes than most of Asia.

So even if you're economically better off, you're not in as good a position to go shopping and eat out.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    People buy TVs at retail, right? http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_tel_percap-media-televisions-per-capita.

US at #3 Japan at #5. China and Singapore at #63 and #63.

Radios?
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_rad_percap-media-radios-per-capita

US at #1. Japan at #18. Singapore at #60. China at #111

Per capita spending on fast food?

http://internationaltrade.suite101.com/article.cfm/top_fast_food_countries

US #1, Japan #6, China #9

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2010
    To be meaningful, those numbers need to be normalized to per capita GDP. Otherwise you're just saying that people who have more spend more. Also, I'm not even sure that we have a good idea of what quality it is we're talking about here. Savings rate is probably the closest proxy for measuring 'consumerism', but even that doesn't capture the normative dimension that many of you seem to be attributing to the term.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Also, to the line you quoted; I don't think wanting is the human condition. People in Europe do not buy useless shit at nearly the rate that people in the USA do.

Yeah, well, Europe is kind of a shithole.

You, my friend, have never been to Europe.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Participating in American culture is also pretty expensive.

Live theater tickets can be fucking expensive.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ...You're all aware that the only way to end consumer culture is for everyone to be a self-sufficient producer, right? As long as there are things you legitimately need, there will always be an "in" for influencing you based on want.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's the degree to which our culture is oriented around purchases, for the most part. All the "Keeping up with the Jonses" stuff. Also the focus on products and not services in a lot of cases.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ketherial wrote: »

Reality.

I AM ENLIGHTENED!!!

Yea, this was actually a bit of a problem in Japan for some period of time. People were saving too much money and not spending enough.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It's the degree to which our culture is oriented around purchases, for the most part. All the "Keeping up with the Jonses" stuff. Also the focus on products and not services in a lot of cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption

Our desire for more has gotten us to move out into the sprawling suburbs where owning a car is nearly a necessity and our desire for cheap food has created an industry with little accountability that makes unhealthy food-like products out of soy and corn.

I remember someone mentioning on this forum that some European country, Finland maybe, actually has a commonly-used word in their culture that implies, "anything more than a handful is too much." As for the U.S. we're now at the point that marketing is exploiting the satisfaction people can get from criticizing greed, advertising or the system as a whole.

"There are some things money can't buy. For everything else; Mastercard."

I mean did they just call checkmate on the American public? I don't even know what to say about that. I believe the OP mentioned alternative comics. Well you really can't find any that are better than this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZo1Jjfshw

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://hvoorhees.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/this-is-why-were-fat/

I've been seeing these ads around town.

I drink a LOT of soda, mind you (Coke zero, but still). I can clear a two liter in a day very easily. I've had up to 3 liters in a day before.

But advertising this as a norm for "meals" is absurd.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, to the line you quoted; I don't think wanting is the human condition. People in Europe do not buy useless shit at nearly the rate that people in the USA do.

I went to school over there for my undergrad. As well, all my inlaws live there.

I've been there.

Atomika on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I went to school over there for my undergrad. As well, all my inlaws live there.

I've been there.

Poor taste then. To describe it as a shit-hole in its entirety shows a lack of reason and pure emotional out lash.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

I've been there.

Poor taste then. To describe it as a shit-hole in its entirety shows a lack of reason and pure emotional out lash.

Not really.

In an economic reality, my life in America has far greater purchasing power than anything I could hope for in Europe. I have a suitably large home near a major urban center, and my wife and I both have well-paying jobs that do not require too much time away from home and did not require copious amounts of money or time spent in gaining the requisite education. We both have new cars, we travel frequently (New Orleans in two weeks, Scotland later this fall), and we go to the cinema or theater sometimes weekly.

As my wife would say, it's not that people want for less in Europe. They're just used to having less.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

I've been there.

Not really.

In an economic reality, my life in America has far greater purchasing power than anything I could hope for in Europe. I have a suitably large home near a major urban center, and my wife and I both have well-paying jobs that do not require too much time away from home and did not require copious amounts of money or time spent in gaining the requisite education. We both have new cars, we travel frequently (New Orleans in two weeks, Scotland later this fall), and we go to the cinema or theater sometimes weekly.

As my wife would say, it's not that people want for less in Europe. They're just used to having less.

I wouldn't say that's a bad thing but that's the opinion of a student who's used to living below the poverty line. But just so we aren't going solely off of people's limited experiences...

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_pop_bel_pov_lin-economy-population-below-poverty-line
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_dis_of_fam_inc_gin_ind-distribution-family-income-gini-index

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption
    Also
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    @Atomic Ross

Where in Europe?
    There's a bit of a difference between, say, Budapest and London.

Hachface on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    @Atomic Ross

Where in Europe?

And there's a bit of a problem if you think Texas can beat either place. Hell, I'd rather go to Turkmenistan.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    @Atomic Ross

Where in Europe?

And there's a bit of a problem if you think Texas can beat either place. Hell, I'd rather go to Turkmenistan.

You, my friend, have never been to Texas.

Jk, but really it's not that bad.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010

So is America. I mean, have you been to Peru?
    What I'm saying here is that Europe is far from homogenous, and saying "I've been there" is laughable at best.

Also that America is a continent, not a country.

Echo on
  • Options
    XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not really.

Yes, America is known for having significantly cheaper education than Europe. This is part of the reason everybody has access to all the best schools over there and no one ever decides against pursuing further education because of all the debt they would have to go into.

As for all of the rest of your post, my personal experiences tell me you have no idea what you are talking about.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I live in Europe, "over there" in my first sentence refers to the USA.

Xrdd on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    there's a reason a good portion of this country is deeply embarrassed of texas and why texas is used as the "stupid american" archetype

cuz it's full of silly gooses

Rust on
  • Options
    SosSos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    there's a reason a good portion of this country is deeply embarrassed of texas and why texas is used as the "stupid american" archetype

Details. Please.

I know there are some things wrong with it, just like the rest of the country, but nothing I know of to be deeply embarrassed about.

Sos on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Ross is more correct then most give him credit for.

I have family in Amsterdam, London, Hungary, and several other countries. And while it's nice there, the quality of life I have an a major city while in America is a lot better.

Europe gets idolized because their more left leaning policies make many think it's some sort of progress haven, that's not the case, it has it's share of problems as well.

psychotix on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think car ownership is a reasonable metric by which to define American buying power. Car ownership in America is predicated on ridiculously cheap petrol prices which occur nowhere else in the world with the exception of the countries with puppet governments to support them.

People in Europe avoid owning many cars because petrol in Europe costs a fortune. Also you know, trains that don't suck.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You seem to have Texas confused with the South. Texas aint great, but it is solidly ahead of every other conservative bastion. And in fact, parts of it (San Antonio, Austin) are really pretty damn awesome, just like parts of, say, Rural New York and California are every bit as terrible as Alabama.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    texas has the lowest graduation rate in the entire country, probably flat-out the worst record for education in general, and the highest rate of teen pregnancy, so no, it's really not solidly ahead of anyone!

it rolls many of the worst social-conservative policies and legislative effects into a puffed-up and deeply confusing sense of self-righteousness. there's a reason for all those "just let them secede already" jokes

i mean i come from new jersey, home of guidos and jewish organ thieves

at least i'm willing to admit that burning my state to the ground would count as gentrification

Rust on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sos wrote: »

Details. Please.

I know there are some things wrong with it, just like the rest of the country, but nothing I know of to be deeply embarrassed about.

Although a bit off topic

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/011610dntexsboe.42e6e16.html%22
    Texas high school students will have to learn about leading conservative groups from the 1980s and 1990s – but not about liberal or minority-rights groups – under U.S. history standards tentatively adopted by a politically divided State Board of Education on Friday.

The Republican majority on the board also gave a thumbs down to requiring history teachers and textbooks to provide coverage on the late Sen. Edward Kennedy and new Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, as well as leading Hispanic civil-rights groups such as LULAC and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

Led by the board's social-conservative bloc, Republicans left Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton and former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, the nation's first black justice, on the list of important figures that will have to be covered in history classes.

But they also added, on a 7-6 vote, Eagle Forum founder Phyllis Schlafly, the National Rifle Association, Moral Majority and the Heritage Foundation to the list of persons and groups that students will learn about.

Board member Don McLeroy, R-College Station, offered the amendment requiring coverage of "key organizations and individuals of the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s." McLeroy said he offered the proposal because the history standards were already "rife with leftist political periods and events – the populists, the progressives, the New Deal and the Great Society."

Those were among the long list of changes to proposed social studies standards for Texas schools that were considered over several hours Thursday and Friday.

Late Friday afternoon, after finding themselves unable to work through a long list of amendments, board members unanimously agreed to suspend debate on the standards until March, when they will take up other social studies subjects such as government and geography. In addition, several additional amendments to the U.S. history standards were left pending.

Curriculum standards adopted by the board will remain in place for the next decade, dictating what is taught in government, history and other social studies classes in all elementary and secondary schools. The standards also will be used to write textbooks and develop state tests for students.

Social conservatives lost some key battles Friday as other Republicans and Democrats joined to kill a few of their proposals. One of those turned back would have eliminated hip-hop music from history standards dealing with U.S. culture and replaced it with country music.

McLeroy and other social conservatives said hip-hop was inappropriate for history classes, and one member suggested it encourages anti-social behavior. Board member Mavis Knight, D-Dallas, however, retorted that hip-hop has "impacted our society whether we like it or not. So since it's there, we may as well talk about the positive aspects of it."

In the end, the proposal was killed on a 7-7 vote and hip-hop stayed in, along with rock 'n' roll, Tin Pan Alley, the Beat Generation and the Chicano Mural Movement as "significant examples" of cultural movements in the U.S.

McLeroy was successful with another of his noteworthy amendments: to include documents that supported Cold War-era Sen. Joseph McCarthy and his contention that the U.S. government was infiltrated with Communists in the 1950s.

CONTENTIOUS TOPICS

The outcome of some of the proposed social studies standards for Texas schools that generated debate:

Labor leader César Chávez and Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall: Experts appointed by socially conservative board members recommended that both names be stricken from the standards, but the board opted to leave them in.

Christmas: A curriculum-writing team dropped Christmas from a list of important religious holidays in a world cultures course, but the board ordered Christmas put back in.

Conservative groups: The board voted to require that U.S. history students learn about leading conservative individuals and groups from the 1980s and '90s, but not about liberal groups.

Religion in U.S. history: Social conservatives sought to require that students learn about "religious revivals" as among the major events leading up to the American Revolution. That was narrowly rejected.

McCarthyism: Social conservatives pushed through an amendment that will require a more positive portrayal of Joseph McCarthy and his accusations that the U.S. government in the 1950s was infiltrated by Communists. McCarthy's tactics have been discredited by most historians.

Texas is the largest producer of schoolbooks in America, most schools throughout the United States use the books produced there. Whatever Texas decides to put in their schoolbooks gets permeated to the entire United States and curriculum everywhere.

This is, of course, on top of the constant back and forth debate between evolution and intelligent design in both schoolbooks and classes.
    texas has the lowest graduation rate in the entire country, probably flat-out the worst record for education in general, and the highest rate of teen pregnancy, so no, it's really not solidly ahead of anyone!

it rolls many of the worst social-conservative policies and legislative effects into a puffed-up and deeply confusing sense of self-righteousness. there's a reason for all those "just let them secede already" jokes

this too

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

i mean i come from new jersey, home of guidos and jewish organ thieves

at least i'm willing to admit that burning my state to the ground would count as gentrification

Yeah and I'd still rather be here than anywhere East of here and South of the Mason Dixon Line. Though I'd rather be in parts of Europe, Canada, MA or WA than here for sure.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot