As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STO] Open Beta is On! (you still need a key)

1596061626365»

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    cox had an autoattack option.

I think he more meant Champions Online.

Transporter on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cox had an autoattack option.

I think he more meant Champions Online.
    co had an autoattack option

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And STO used to have an auto attack option. I used it in open beta. But it seems to be disabled right now.

Lucascraft on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    And STO used to have an auto attack option. I used it in open beta. But it seems to be disabled right now.

As was mentioned above, it was taken out because it was interfering with activating other powers. For some reason, the rapid firing nature of ground weapons makes it hard to hit other skills when you're firing. It doesn't affect space weapons nearly as much, even when I'm autofiring four at a time.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

As was mentioned above, it was taken out because it was interfering with activating other powers. For some reason, the rapid firing nature of ground weapons makes it hard to hit other skills when you're firing. It doesn't affect space weapons nearly as much, even when I'm autofiring four at a time.

That's because space-based weaponry isn't linked with skills. You can fire both at the same time as a result. Ground weaponry is linked with skill usage, so if you're doing one, you can't do the other.

This also has a nasty side-effect when trying to do tactical buffs. Tactical self-buffs require you to have a target and line of sight to use them for some odd reason. That means if you try to use them during PVP or high end ground combat engagements, you can get one-shotted before you're even done buffing up since you can't attack while buffing.

Archonex on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll probably try to peek around in the morning, because be damned if I miss Friday Night Fuck Night while being pissed off at a game.

My only goal for the head start is to get to 6 and unlock Klingons, anyway.

GungHo on
  • ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    sweet I can already claim my shuttle?

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm at work (from home) so I can't really justify opening up STO, but from what I hear, I'm not missing much? The servers apparently crapped themselves?

KiTA on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    So I'm at work (from home) so I can't really justify opening up STO, but from what I hear, I'm not missing much? The servers apparently crapped themselves?

They're actually running playably well right now. Some lifers are getting screwed out of their head start time, however, because Cryptic took down the Borg Captain item from the C-Store (which is how you collect your bonuses). Maybe that was what was making the servers crap themselves earlier.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if you have steam, you'd want to back up your screenshots, then start running it because I guess it deletes the beta folder and redownloads everything again as a retail release?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2010
    if you have steam, you'd want to back up your screenshots, then start running it because I guess it deletes the beta folder and redownloads everything again as a retail release?

Don't run the thing through steam. Run the launcher directly, and you won't have to redownload everything. On a related note, costume/appearance saves from OB seem to work just fine, even if they were wearing the TNG gear (since it's available now for everyone).

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scabies wrote: »

But make another character and try to claim it again and it wont let you.

I REALLY hope this is a bug.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • JaikersJaikers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Don't run the thing through steam. Run the launcher directly, and you won't have to redownload everything. On a related note, costume/appearance saves from OB seem to work just fine, even if they were wearing the TNG gear (since it's available now for everyone).

unfortunately steam deleted everything and restarted a download so moving it doesn't work. Just hope this doesn't happen again.

well i ran the patcher from the STO directory and it started patching while steam is downloading. hope it doesnt mess anything up.

Jaikers on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

They're actually running playably well right now. Some lifers are getting screwed out of their head start time, however, because Cryptic took down the Borg Captain item from the C-Store (which is how you collect your bonuses). Maybe that was what was making the servers crap themselves earlier.

It's hard for me to feel sorry for the lifers when no one gets preorder bonuses till after the headstart either
    i want my joined trill damnit

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    screenshot_2010-01-29-13-48-27.jpg
    Type 8 shuttle. That's silly.

yes its the little noncom speck that is following my noobship
    also steam did the installwipe on me, but I've kept all of my beta shots, so no worries there.

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aww, I really want a shuttle now. It looks so cute :D

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    arcath wrote: »
    Scabies wrote: »

But make another character and try to claim it again and it wont let you.

I REALLY hope this is a bug.

Yeah it seems strange otherwise, normally these special unlocks work on every character and not just one.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just registered my Del Taco code. Thank goodness I have a friend outside of Texas who lives near one.

That makes:
    Lifetime Sub
    Wrath of Kahn Admiral Uniform
    Direct2Download Preorder Swag.
    Shuttle

Yeah. Cryptic is really taking advantage of grown adults with disposable income. All of this crap is hard to keep up with, God help me when they open up their micro-transaction store.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did anyone really not expect something like to happen considering the nature of MMO's and how most starts tend to be utter clusterfucks?

Cade on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    Did anyone really not expect something like to happen considering the nature of MMO's and how most starts tend to be utter clusterfucks?

I think we all expect MMO launches to be pretty rough. I know I do. I figure I'll try a few times when I get home tonight from work. If I'm able to log in and play, that would be great. If not, I can find something else to do. Part of what attracted me to this game is it seems more viable for someone who doesn't want to HAVE to play to grind for gear.

Bolthorn on
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I need a taco code :(

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This. If anyone has any spare... :P

(We need a new thread, too.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok guys. I got tired of waiting for someone else to make a new thread, so I did.

Its up here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=13180905

Lucascraft on
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »

This. If anyone has any spare... :P

(We need a new thread, too.)

A thread devoted to Tacos?
    Space Tacos?

Xabora on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    NEW OP IS NEW

Lock Thread!

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Going to be busy all weekend so not much of a headstart for me I guess. Not that it really matters, I'm such a casual player that even if my weekend was completely free, I'd just get passed up in no time flat once retail starts. I just can't do marathon gaming sessions

So yeah, I bought my game from atari, I won't get a retail code till retail launch I take it? I've got no joined trill, or equipment or kryptic points. I logged in briefly and checked out the liberated borg though...not too shabby.

VoodooV on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Going to be busy all weekend so not much of a headstart for me I guess. Not that it really matters, I'm such a casual player that even if my weekend was completely free, I'd just get passed up in no time flat once retail starts. I just can't do marathon gaming sessions

So yeah, I bought my game from atari, I won't get a retail code till retail launch I take it? I've got no joined trill, or equipment or kryptic points. I logged in briefly and checked out the liberated borg though...not too shabby.

New thread.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
This discussion has been closed.