Options

[game on]Sectoids in Uranus! X-Com

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Had my first Snakemen terror mission this game, as expected it didn't go well. Almost cried when I lost Kaboom.

You know what's weird? My first game, on beginner, where I was just learning everything, I ran into snakemen in January.

This one on Veteran, I ran into sectoids, then floaters in like the end of January. Nothing but floaters and reapers since then. I'm in mid April now.

Oh Shivahn, you silly goose, you should've waited ten days to post!

Now there are mutons and snakemen and chryssalids. Oh my!

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Just destroy the control room and then book it out of there. Abuse Blaster bombs.

I just finished researching heavy plasma and plasma clips.. I don't have Blaster Bombs, looks like it will be an old style, inside sweeping, while I pray to not get mind controlled.

If someone gets mind controlled, can I stun them with a stun rod? Or what could I do?

This excerpt from the Legend of Patrick Stewart (found here indicates the proper use of soldiers with horribly low psi-scores.

Interlude....
    ========

"You wanted to see me commander sir?"

"Ah, Xanalthus. Yes. It's about your psi-program results."

"Uh, yeah, I didnt do too well did I?"

"Actually, you have talents you wouldnt believe. For example, on the ESP tests, if you had absolutely no powers, you'd still get half the answers right and the other half wrong. Instead, you managed to provide all the wrong answers!"

"Uh..."

"The mind-scanning exercise? You drew a blank when scanning our volunteer, right?"

"Uhm, yeah..."

"Even though she had no psi-potential of her own, she could suddenly see everything you were thinking. Incidentally, she's asked for a transfer to another base."

"Err..."

"There're all these reports and scans that point to one thing. You are a psychic anomaly. You got a solid 0 on your Psi test, far, far below even the next lowest scoring candidate. Every trained psi on the base has to actively concentrate on commercial jingles or else they'll be drawn into your thoughts."

"But..."

"To put it simply, you're a psychic black hole, the lowest point which draws in all psionic potential..."

"But sir!"

"...which is why you'll be a valuable part of the XCOM team. Congratulations soldier!"

"Bu...wah?"

"It's your job, whenever we're up against psionic aliens, to accompany the Skyranger, be strapped down for the entire mission and suck in all the psionic attacks which would otherwise wreak havoc on our fighting troops. You, soldier, are the perfect psionic decoy!"

The rookie burst into tears.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JAN 11
    Several new members join our team. Zilla, Demon Eyes, JoshJosh and SynthOrange help replenish our numbers. Fallout is still in the medbay recovering from extensive burns, so that makes three new members on the strike squad.

Seriously, Fallout? You've been pulling this shit elsewhere, too?

I love this game for creating little stories about what's going on. It's really immersive, until the grind once you get Psi-ops and it just becomes samey until mars.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I dunno, the SA LP kept it fresh all the way through.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    First terror mission went to shit pretty quick.

Dropped in Sydney in the middle of the night. Beginning is going pretty well, clearing buildings with high explosives and having my two autocannon users dropping incen. rounds to use as light. Lose about 3 rookies on turn 5 to a couple of the greys.

Mind attacks start and 3 dudes panic and run into the fire patches/enemy fire and die terribly. Start moving my last 4 soldiers around clearing the map. Two die to alien grenades leaving my two autocannon users, with a clip and a half of ammo left. Managed to keep them in cover while finishing the map. 8 new rookies are en route to the base now.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Night terror missions=bad bad bad!

First, whoever wrote the route finding routine had never heard of a great circle route (check wikipedia).. If you try and follow a great circle route, you can get there faster (by a couple of hours in some cases). Second, as long as you have something in transit towards the terror mission, it won't go away. Send an interceptor to fly to the terror mission. Just before it hits half gas (might take some save scumming), send your skyranger. If the terror mission is close enough, just have two interceptors yo-yo back and forth from home and the terror mission (if they land at your base they'll have to refuel...) These two methods will hopefully allow dawn to arrive at the terror site (don't forget that your sykranger's transit time...) so you can spend more shooting (or throwing 'nades) at known targets instead of throwing flares to FIND targets.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So.... Do you need an alien containment in every base you send skyrangers out from if you want to take alien's alive?

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    So.... Do you need an alien containment in every base you send skyrangers out from if you want to take alien's alive?

Yeah, and scientist labs and workshops and the appropriate staff too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh god, first terror mission, 3rd mission ever.

My tank rolls down the ramp and 3 plasma shots wing over it. This is gonna be bad.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, how do I get PSI research? I can't even go on ufo landing missions without my soldiers getting mind attacked.

Is there any way to train Bravery? Is low Bravery a sign of being easy to mind control? I had 2 20 bravery scouts at the Alien Base, but instead of the aliens targeting them, they attacked my good soldiers.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, how do I get PSI research? I can't even go on ufo landing missions without my soldiers getting mind attacked.

Is there any way to train Bravery? Is low Bravery a sign of being easy to mind control? I had 2 20 bravery scouts at the Alien Base, but instead of the aliens targeting them, they attacked my good soldiers.

Live Ethereal of any type or Live Sectoid Leader/Commander.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so I bought the pack for two dollars of Steam. I'm installing the first one now.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Good luck, you're gonna need i t.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010

Live Ethereal of any type or Live Sectoid Leader/Commander.

That's like ten types of lame. I ran into a Sectoid commander ONCE. When he attacked my base. I killed him from two hexes away with a rocket launcher because that was one of like three people left.

The game hates me and has been giving me floaters and that's it until recently, when it went snakemen and mutons on me.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm seriously reconsidering restarting yet again and install one of those utility mods.

I don't like to cheat, seriously, but it breaks my heart seeing my 3 sergeants panic or get mind controlled everytime I storm the base.

For one thing, I guess it would be a god idea to weed out the weak PSI soldiers, but man, it does suck.

Joe Camacho MKII on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stun Bomb launchers are what you want to capture commanders and such. You'll need a navigator for the best radar too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Stun Bomb launchers are what you want to capture commanders and such. You'll need a navigator for the radar of win/fuck that bullshit.

Fixed. Never do another Ethereal mission again! (Until Cydonia)

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm seriously reconsidering restarting yet again and install one of those utility mods.

I don't like to cheat, seriously, but it breaks my heart seeing my 3 sergeants panic or get mind controlled everytime I storm the base.

For one thing, I guess it would be a god idea to weed out the weak PSI soldiers, but man, it does suck.

It's perfectly acceptable to cut your losses and retreat from a mission in this game; it's not an instant game-over. The base will still be there to assault later, and you can even shoot down its supply ships for resources while you wait.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Yes, but you don't really need to capture that many aliens. Just make sure your main base has one. If you're running missions outside of a base that isn't your primary research base, your research base will need one too.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yes, but you don't really need to capture that many aliens. Just make sure your main base has one. If you're running missions outside of a base that doesn't do research, your research base will need one too.

Yeah, you need... 1 Navigator, 1 Terrorist, 1 Leader, 1 Commander, and 1 Sectoid Leader/Commander or an Ethereal of any type. Right?

TFTD is far more onerous (and bullshit) about it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yes, but you don't really need to capture that many aliens. Just make sure your main base has one. If you're running missions outside of a base that doesn't do research, your research base will need one too.
    Yeah, you need... 1 Navigator, 1 Terrorist, 1 Leader, 1 Commander, and 1 Sectoid Leader/Commander or an Ethereal of any type. Right?

Spoiler'd just in case
    I don't even think you need a Terrorist I think.

The first leader is interchangeable with a Commander.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Spoiler'd just in case

Don't you for Alien Origins? Or is that any live alien?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Spoiler'd just in case

Origins is any live alien.

From the wiki:

* Any Live Alien: Alien Origins and information on its own species
    * Alien Soldier or Terrorist: Nothing, beyond information on its own species
    * Alien Medic: information on other alien species
    * Alien Navigator: Alien missions and Hyper-wave Decoder
    * Alien Engineer: Alien ships
    * Alien Leader (or Commander): The Martian Solution
    * Alien Commander: Cydonia or Bust
    * Sectoid Leader or Commander, or any Ethereal: Psionic Laboratory

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Spoiler'd just in case

Origins is any live alien.

From the wiki:

* Any Live Alien: Alien Origins and information on its own species
    * Alien Soldier or Terrorist: Nothing, beyond information on its own species
    * Alien Medic: information on other alien species
    * Alien Navigator: Alien missions and Hyper-wave Decoder
    * Alien Engineer: Alien ships
    * Alien Leader (or Commander): The Martian Solution
    * Alien Commander: Cydonia or Bust
    * Sectoid Leader or Commander, or any Ethereal: Psionic Laboratory
    Huh, it's probably because the first live alien I capture is almost always a Reaper I knock out instead of killing.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    fuck
    Fuck.
    FFFFUUUU- !

I'm deleting ALL of my save files.

All games in progress are consigned to oblivion.

I'm starting this shit over.

It's FOR REAL this time.

MOTHERFUCKERS.

Drake on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Lower the difficulty. Edit your save file so your soldiers all have 90 psi defence. Abuse save/loading.

I promise you that you will STILL have tons of fun blasting holes in floater faces with plasma.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Lower the difficulty. Edit your save file so your soldiers all have 90 psi defence. Abuse save/loading.

I promise you that you will STILL have tons of fun blasting holes in floater faces with plasma.

Oh.. 90 psi defence? That sounds like something I would like to have, do I download XCom Util?

Joe Camacho MKII on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »

Oh.. 90 psi defence? That sounds like something I would like to have, do I download XCom Util?

I think so. I've never used it myself, and I always shed a tear or two after getting my first psy-lab results and watching a few of my vets walk off the team :(

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I snagged a snakeman navigator. The main issue I had doing that was there were two Chrysallids nearby. Fuck those dudes. Right in their zombifying asses. Good thing I had incidenary rockets.

So do you need the Commander for Cyodonia or Bust or will the leader work?

What is the easiest way to find an Alien base? I cannot seem to follow the UFOs I always lose them.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What is the easiest way to find an Alien base? I cannot seem to follow the UFOs I always lose them.

If you have a hyperwave decoder, you can ID the enemy ships as supply ships to confirm the aliens even have a base on Earth.

If not, you should send a ship to patrol a region with high or increased UFO activity seen in the monthly report graphs. Eventually you should reveal a base, especially if you see a bunch of ships landed in the area.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm in June so I'm fairly sure there is a base somewhere, however I just started Hyper-wave decoder research so we shall see how this turns out. I still haven't run itno a sectoid commander which makes me sad.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the hardest part of the game for me historically has been capturing the elusive sectoid commander. It never fails that my best soldiers are the ones turning traitor. It's the only time I will forgive myself for abusing saves. After that, it's just a matter of weeding out the weak and retraining a new set of soldiers as you prepare for the final assault.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I haven't had a Sectoid mission since January. They have all been floater or snakemen, which is useless when one wants to get his Psi defence up for the inevitable Etheral missions.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes, but you don't really need to capture that many aliens. Just make sure your main base has one. If you're running missions outside of a base that isn't your primary research base, your research base will need one too.
    When I played I eventually had one heavy weapons guy (got ridiculously good, was sniping aliens with incendiary rounds across the map by the end of the game) and everyone else was carrying stun grenade launchers. I had live alien specimens coming out the wazoo.

Also, at that time I was under the impression you needed to pick stunned aliens up for them to count as captured and live at the end of the mission. Was this actually necessary or not?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    When I played I eventually had one heavy weapons guy (got ridiculously good, was sniping aliens with incendiary rounds across the map by the end of the game) and everyone else was carrying stun grenade launchers. I had live alien specimens coming out the wazoo.

Also, at that time I was under the impression you needed to pick stunned aliens up for them to count as captured and live at the end of the mission. Was this actually necessary or not?

Well, I have captured Aliens alive without even knowing (And having them die without Alien Containment), so I dare to say that no, you don't need to pick them up.

Joe Camacho MKII on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No you do not need to pick them up. It'll happen once you win.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Assuming you win. If you're after a particular enemy type and managed to knock it unconscious, it couldn't hurt to make a rookie carry it back to the ranger in case your team is losing and needs to bug out. Also, there's a chance that it could wake up and then die to reaction fire from your troops. Picking them up means you don't have to worry about losing your prize by accident.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    PSI Abuse in the original UFO was the most hilariously broken thing. Shared LoS with things you mind control, a Tank, two weapons guys, and then the rest of your team as PSI-users just meant you'd mind control one alien, and use him to find and control more aliens. I remember completing the final mission with only one soldier leaving the spawn. The
    Alien Brain
    just got wasted by its own Ethereals (and possibly Sectopods).

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I haven't had a Sectoid mission since January. They have all been floater or snakemen, which is useless when one wants to get his Psi defence up for the inevitable Etheral missions.

As I recall, PsiStrength is invariant.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, Psi Strength does not change. Psi Skill does however.

Its best to sack weak Psi Strength units, as they will just cause you problems later on.

Kris_xK on