As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown. One more time.

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
So, yeah, even though there's been some recent activity in various fighting game communities (spurred on by VFDC, as is proper, and based on a hope and a dream), Sega has done the impossible and decided to disappoint Virtua Fighter fans all over again.

They're showing off Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown. New balance changes, new moves, new costumes, whatever.

New for the ARCADE.

So, good times there.

But! Virtua Fighter fans are quite tenacious. This will not be a blow to the VF5:R petition. If this is an arcade release, it's going to come to consoles eventually. Right?

Anyway, VF5 was a pretty major cluster whahaveyou. Here's hoping it works out better.

I would buy it. I would play it. Not for the new costumes or the 5R characters, but because VF5 isn't even version D outside of Japan. That's a pretty big slap in the face.

There's a trailer up on youtube. And it's quite informative. You should watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bInD3cAtMQs

As you can tell, the important things are still there. Jacky still sounds like a teen aged version of your mom whining for you to come to dinner. Sarah still looks like a fugly Barbie doll.

Jeffry isn't orange again, which is kind of a disappointment.

Actually, upon reflection. the easiest way for Sega to troll its foreign fans would be to now release VF5r, keeping them at least 2 versions behind still.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2hntZBIUQ

:P

Goddamn, they're probably going to wait for VF6 before releasing another VF on console it seems.

If they still aren't going to put multiplayer in for the PS3 then I'll just keep not caring. :/

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Er...I don't get it. What's wrong with this, again? Someone translate the op for me.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I don't understand all the negativity in the OP either.

I'm happy that there's going to be more VF, continue to hold out hope that it will eventually get released to consoles.

(Also, I think Sarah looks plenty attractive.)

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    blackgenmablackgenma Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    long live virtua fighter. let's hope we get a console release of either This version or R if we are lucky.

blackgenma on
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” - Albert Einstein
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Each version of VF 5 contains fairly massive balance and move changes. Usually, each iteration is better then the next.

As of right now, I believe VF:5 for the 360 was version C.

Version D was released last year sometime? Which, of course could have been easily a downloadable update for the 360 version.

Except it wasn't. In fact, it isn't available anywhere outside of Japan unless you import.

This is now the second version of VF:5 with no announced plans to ever go anywhere outside of Japan.

It's kind of like Street Fighter III being released, and them never bringing over Street Fighter III: Second Impact, or 3rd strike.

For hardcore fighting fans, ie, the entire American and european fanbase, this is kinda sorta bad for the few fans left here.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For hardcore fighting fans, ie, the entire American and european fanbase, this is kinda sorta bad for the few fans left here.
    But with each new iteration, new content is added, right?

I can only think of two reasons why Sega hasn't released VF5:R abroad and they are:

1. The original didn't sell well enough.
    or
    2. They don't think enough people will buy the new version to justify localizing it.

But with the more content they could theoretically add to the new version, 2 becomes less and less of a problem, because there's more and more incentive for people to re-buy it. 1 might also have become less a problem since SFIV has sparked revived a lot of interest in the genre.

Anyway I see it, this seems like good news.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Potentially it's good news. Down the road. Eventually.

It's an arcade release and it's like 4 versions ahead of the current foreign console release. They didn't even release the final vanilla VF5 console patch (version D) outside of Japan, which was pretty stupid. It was a big patch with a lot of balance changes and whole lot of stuff for character creation, including the weapons and new win poses.

Then they released VF5R in Japan, which had new balance changes, new moves, new mechanics, 2 new characters, new costumes and all the rest.

Now, and this is probably coincidental, they're announcing a new version with even more new moves, mechanics, costumes, and items, for Japanese arcades at the same time that renewed effort in fighting game communities (based on hopes and rumours) has started a petition for a release of VF5r outside of Japan. So even if that miracle petition works we'll still be a couple of versions behind.

I don't know how Sega expects to keep a VF fanbase alive outside of Japan if they keep taunting them like this.

They've done very little that will entice new casuals to buy their game. Adding hitsparks, a combo counter and piles of new items and costumes is a good start, but they keep the mechanics and engine the way it should be and it just won't be accessible. Which is fine. But they need to stop being surprised when it doesn't sell. Keep the tourney scene alive and the rest can follow from that.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The obvious glass-half-full outlook is that things are being done the way they are to reverse the situation of VF4's console ports (where VF4:E got one but VF4:FT did not).

Or not. But not even Sega is stupid enough to release a VF5R port now.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why bother releasing something that's only going to sell to a handful of hardcore fans?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why bother releasing something that's only going to sell to a handful of hardcore fans?

Atlus

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well you know what's a good way to build and maintain a fanbase?

Giving them a solid middle finger for 3 years, following that up by building their hopes and then giving them another middle finger.

Mind, the moment a console release date for VF5:FS is announced the process will start all over again.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That's pretty much the only market Virtua fighter has.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Well you know what's a good way to build and maintain a fanbase?

Giving them a solid middle finger for 3 years, following that up by building their hopes and then giving them another middle finger.

Mind, the moment a console release date for VF5:FS is announced the process will start all over again.
    What are you even going on about?

I don't understand this tone at all.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Have you even read any of the posts in this topic?

I'll lay it out again: Sega stopped paying any attention to VF fans outside of Japan back in early 2007 when they decided that version C was the last they would release to them.

Version D was a HUGE patch by fighting game standards, and not just for balance. It added tons of new items, costumes, character poses (with weapons), some new modes. Basically all the fluff that kept the more casual fans interested to begin with.

A year later they released VF5R, with 1 new character and 1 character returning from VF3, new items, new costumes, new moves, new features (combo counter, hit sparks), and new mechanics. This was only released in Japan and pretty much killed any hopes of VF maintaining a decent base of foreign fans. Those same fans have been waiting patiently for any news or indication of 5R being released to them, and last month they got finally got a glimmer of hope with a VF community member in Japan getting a meeting with Sega in person and with that the chance to present a petition from foreign fans for a 5R console release.

Now, at the tail end of this second petition run, Sega is announcing another new version of VF5, for Japanese arcades.

Obviously it will have a console release down the line. But look at the track record.

Everyone would be delighted for this to get a foreign release. And the majority of the community would probably forgive Sega all the dickery they've been put through the last few years.

If not, then it wouldn't be a stretch to say this would do irreparable damage to a scene that's been floundering since VF3:TB.

I hope this becomes good news. I really do. But there's no ignoring the past.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Everyone? You mean the five people who care about VF outside of Japan?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No need to be pedantic.

Virtua Fighter isn't for everyone. And everyone should know that by now.

Hell, Virtua Fighter probably isn't for most.

But there's no point in ignoring the few fans you do have.

Tourney scenes keep fighting games alive between releases. If you don't cater to the community at least a bit then you'll have the same problem each time you actually want to release something.

And Virtua Fighter isn't like Soul Calibur, which can push units based on guest characters and flashy effects. They're not going to compete with Tekken for spiffy combos and anime characters, even though they're trying.

I'm not sure what Sega expects their market to be anymore. If they're going to just stop releasing outside of Japan then they should say so and let the die hards get their import copies without worry.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I hope this becomes good news.
    How is the announcement of a new game bad news?

If VF5:FS gets a console release, then I can buy it and be happy. Or disappointed, should it somehow not make the grade, but I doubt it'd come to that. If it never gets a console release, then I can simply ignore it and move on with my life. As luck would have it, I have no shortage of fighters to pick from for this console generation.

In either case, I see no reason to act upset over the existence of a new iteration of VF. And anyone emotionally invested enough to feel slighted by Sega being Sega in the year 2010? That is just funny.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The announcement is neither good nor bad.

The timing is bad, though.

And there's no reason that Virtua Fighter fans shouldn't be irked over what Sega has been doing.

And there's no other fighting game series that fills the same niche that Virtua Fighter does.

I don't know why this is difficult to grasp.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I rather get the eventual VF6, whenever that may come.

I like VF-series, but I don't care getting small incremental update to latest one.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not sure what Sega expects their market to be anymore. If they're going to just stop releasing outside of Japan then they should say so and let the die hards get their import copies without worry.

So get your import copy without worry

I love Virtua Fighter and don't see the problem here

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It'd be an import copy and a Japanese xbox. Hard to hold regular tourneys when everyone needs those just to practise.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah but those are the crazy bastards that would be willing to pony up just to do so

What, is there no PS3 version?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There is, but that's still missing the point.

A community needs a steady influx of new blood to counteract the inevitable attrition they all suffer. If the physical barrier for entry is so high, especially for a series notorious for being blunt and devoid of fluff, it will die, and not even that slowly.

This is evidenced by the current state of the VF community.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, I really hope this sees a US release. VF5:Online remains one of the top fighting games on 360, in my opinion.

LibrarianThorne on