As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• Options
    babygirlbabygirl Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Hi THERE!

I just bought a ticket online yesterday, it hasn't gone onto my credit yet...but i got a printable version of the ticket..is that going to be enough to get in? and am I going to get a package in time?

Hope you can help!

Babygirl

babygirl on
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    babygirl wrote: »
    Hi THERE!

I just bought a ticket online yesterday, it hasn't gone onto my credit yet...but i got a printable version of the ticket..is that going to be enough to get in? and am I going to get a package in time?

Hope you can help!

Babygirl

Your pass will be at will call bring your print out to registration and they will trade you for a shinny badge. (i also am assuming you bought a Friday or Sunday badge and not a third party purchase)

Singollo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yep Friday Pass, So there will be a registration place? Great! Thanks! What time do the start processing badges? I assume a huge line is also expected lol

babygirl on
  • Options
    FlaccusFlaccus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I have my 3-day PAX Pass, was concerned about the concert

Flaccus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    babygirl wrote: »
    Yep Friday Pass, So there will be a registration place? Great! Thanks! What time do the start processing badges? I assume a huge line is also expected lol

Line for registration probably wont be too bad. Though registration i believe will be open at 10 same time as line will be opened. Though i know Thursday registration will also be open don't recall the hours though.

Singollo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the Help!

babygirl on
  • Options
    j4y1zg0dj4y1zg0d Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    My wife and I preregistered for PAX East and we just got our badges -- I'm super amped, but was wondering if I need to pick up a pass for my 4 year old son? And if I do need a pass, are there discounts for the little geeks?

j4y1zg0d on
  • Options
    NatsirtNatsirt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is beer and alcohol allowed/sold at PAX? What about the concerts?

JoCo without a JackCo is a low blow. 8-)

Natsirt on
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Natsirt wrote: »
    Is beer and alcohol allowed/sold at PAX? What about the concerts?

JoCo without a JackCo is a low blow. 8-)

The Hynes Convention Center doesn't have a beer/liquor permit, so no.

In fact, Hynes itself doesn't have concessions of any sort - event organizers can contract Aramark to cater things there, but that's about it.

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DO NOT BRING BOOZE OF ANY KIND TO PAX

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    j4y1zg0d wrote: »
    My wife and I preregistered for PAX East and we just got our badges -- I'm super amped, but was wondering if I need to pick up a pass for my 4 year old son? And if I do need a pass, are there discounts for the little geeks?

Everybody needs a pass. And no, there's not children's discount.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    j4y1zg0d wrote: »

Everybody needs a pass. And no, there's not children's discount.

According to the PAX registration site:
    Children 6 and under are free with a paid adult.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah, this I did not know. Good find.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I went looking for it a couple weeks ago since I was thinking about bringing my nephew along.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Flaccus wrote: »
    Yeah I have my 3-day PAX Pass, was concerned about the concert
    In what way?

If you're one of the first 4,000 attendees in the door the day of the concert you want to go to (i.e. Friday for the Friday night concert, Saturday for the Saturday night concert), you get a wristband letting you into the concert. Otherwise it's first come, first served. And from what people have been saying, the wristband is less 'guaranteed access' and more 'you get to be first in the door'.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    TheLizardofOddTheLizardofOdd Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Hey folks,
    I plan on coming in costume as a HL2 rebel, and the costume would include a couple airsoft guns. Is this a bad idea? They look somewhat realistic, but have obvious orange caps, and would of COURSE be fully unloaded. I have no intention of using them as anything other than props, but do not want to get arrested or thrown out because "OMG SHE'S GOT A GUN!!1!!1".

TheLizardofOdd on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, leave the guns at home, fake or not.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    DO NOT BRING BOOZE OF ANY KIND TO PAX

The X in PAX stands for straight edge.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    TheLizardofOddTheLizardofOdd Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Yeah, leave the guns at home, fake or not.

Bah, yeah kinda figured. Oh wells. :(

TheLizardofOdd on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Liger wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Very random question, but will there be a photobooth either at PAX or if not does anyone know of one nearby?

Some vendors in the expo hall occasionally have something set up in their booths, like the black wings last year, but PAX does not set up a photo booth. There's not much reason for one, nor is there much free space.

K, thanks for the answer!

EDIT: And if anyone cares it looks like closest one is here: http://www.photobooth.net/locations/search.php?q=boston&locationID=13

So It Goes on
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Question about concert wristbands and waiting on line for them: Are wristbands given out each day? I.E. are Friday Wristbands for Friday concerts and Saturday Wristbands for Saturday Concerts?

Also I understand that the line opens at 10 AM on Friday, but are you also not allowed to line up before 10 on Saturday?

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Question about concert wristbands and waiting on line for them: Are wristbands given out each day? I.E. are Friday Wristbands for Friday concerts and Saturday Wristbands for Saturday Concerts?

Also I understand that the line opens at 10 AM on Friday, but are you also not allowed to line up before 10 on Saturday?

Fridays are for friday only.
    Do not know what time they will let you in the que room on Saturday. Though i know in the past its been before the doors open and the doors open at 10 on Saturday

Singollo on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    8am for the queue room on Saturday!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    l33tloserl33tloser Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just received my wife and I's 3 day passes in the mail! Extremely sexy (our first pax)...however, now I'm trying to convince her that sitting in a queue room for 4+ hours is not going to make us want to poke our eyeballs out...

We have a bunch of board games (dominion/small world/pandemic!) that we'd love to play with other attendees..is there space in the room to do so? Even enough sitting room would be awesome.

Also, I was under the impression from the paper that came with the badges that the queue room wasn't opening until 10 AM, if it's 8 am that's cool too, I'd just like to get there as early as possible.

Thanks!

l33tloser on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deciding whether or not to do the queue room is questionable. Besides concert wristbands, the only reason to line up is if there's something in the expo hall that will instantly have a massive line that you really want to try out. Otherwise you might as well just show up a little after opening time and walk straight in.

Or maybe you just want to experience 'I'm waiting in line at PAX and it's exciting!' since it's your first PAX, which is understandable. Just be sure you have an actual reason to be waiting in line.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Queue room opens at the following times:

Friday: 10am (PAX East starts at 2pm)
    Saturday: 8am (PAX East starts at 10am)
    Sunday: 8am (PAX East starts at 10am)

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    mykeyIImykeyII Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, heels!

mykeyII on
  • Options
    l33tloserl33tloser Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    Deciding whether or not to do the queue room is questionable. Besides concert wristbands, the only reason to line up is if there's something in the expo hall that will instantly have a massive line that you really want to try out. Otherwise you might as well just show up a little after opening time and walk straight in.

Or maybe you just want to experience 'I'm waiting in line at PAX and it's exciting!' since it's your first PAX, which is understandable. Just be sure you have an actual reason to be waiting in line.
    Yeah, I may or may not be obsessed with Frontalot (Friday night is a test of restraint)...so we definitely want to get the wrist bands to see the concert on Friday night. But like you said, we're both pretty excited about just being able to attend and want to experience everything, even down to the waiting lines an queue room! Since we're staying at the Lenox, which is only a block or two away, bringing games for everyone to enjoy isn't really a big deal for us, we're just curious if there will be room to sit down and play a couple of rounds!

l33tloser on
  • Options
    awkookawkook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mines a saturday blue color. what does that mean?

awkook on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It means you have a saturday badge

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Expanding on what Moe said (before the database took a dump there)...

Badge color is a quick way of determining what type of badge it is. For example (pulling these out of memory, may not correspond with PAX East):

Red: 3-day
    Black: Enforcer
    Yellow: Media
    Orange: Exhibitor
    Purple: VIP

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Full color list:
    • Purple - All Access
    • Lime Green - VIP or Vendor
    • Black - Enforcer
    • Pink - Exhibitor
    • Light Blue - Speaker or Special Guest
    • Yellow - Media
    • Orange - BYOC
    • Red - Three Day
    • White - Friday
    • Blue - Saturday
    • Green - Sunday

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I myself for example will have a Red Pass and Orange Pass, since Im also going to BYOC.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    is there going to be any counter strike or other FPS games there? Not tournaments but just to play?

awkook on
  • Options
    AgonyAgony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey does anyone here know of upcoming video game events, im focusing mostly on events that will have announcements and also have some gaming tourneys like Halo 3 GOw2 or MW2. Please notify me other than MLG events what else is there.

Thank you

Agony on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is the PAX forum. There will be tournaments in the console freeplay area and that thread is here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=114216

Otherwise, I think you might be in the wrong place if you're looking for console gaming events outside of PAX.

Rdr on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    awkook wrote: »
    is there going to be any counter strike or other FPS games there? Not tournaments but just to play?

Id assume they'd be in BYOC, dunno about freeplay.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    awkook wrote: »

Id assume they'd be in BYOC, dunno about freeplay.

THIS. If you wanna play anything/everything: join the BYOC room. There are still some sports left, and we get fringe benefits.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are some FPSes loaded on the freeplay machines. Dont know what off the top of my head. i think css is on there.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Did you have to pay for BYOC? Because i didnt. so does that mean i can play?

awkook on
This discussion has been closed.