As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Return of the Fan Art Episode II

SeiphonSeiphon Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hellooo! I popped in here in September of last year and got some opinions (Old thread) on some fan pictures I was doing for some people over at the TOR forums, well I've been doing a few more here and there.

I've tried to improve on the things suggested with varying degrees of success, but I'm curious to see if you think theres much improvement and obviously if theres something I particularily need to work on.

(chronological order btw)

miyuandkalicolour.jpg

winnithsith.png

lordsanctus.jpg

rotumn2.jpg

Thanks for looking!
seithenewx.png

moonsmuggler.jpg

vaviert.png

cuban.png

sithtwinssm.jpg

siasinblade.png

Seiphon on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who would wrap their own boobies up like that and than put a vest on-top of it, that's just weird.

But anyways, it's good that you're trying some more dynamic perspectives, like in the 3rd from the bottom, but the proportions seem outta wack and that lens flare has got to go. Never ever use that, it's by far the cheesiest photoshop filter and it's just terrible. If you really must use a lens flare try to do it by hand.

My favorite one is probably the second from the bottom because it's the closest you have to an actual scene. Plus it has a nice color scheme but you really need to bump up the contrast in your coloring because a dude standing in front of a bright light like that would have extreme light/dark shadows cast on him. Also it looks like adding some sort of background would have been nice.

You should probably try to get more experimental with your colors overall because there seems to be an abundance of flat color fill in, with some black shading here and there.

I think some loose dynamic poses would help you get some kinks out, if you could do some non star wars figure studies. Whats with all the star wars!?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    SeiphonSeiphon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who would wrap their own boobies up like that and than put a vest on-top of it, that's just weird.

But anyways, it's good that you're trying some more dynamic perspectives, like in the 3rd from the bottom, but the proportions seem outta wack and that lens flare has got to go. Never ever use that, it's by far the cheesiest photoshop filter and it's just terrible. If you really must use a lens flare try to do it by hand.

My favorite one is probably the second from the bottom because it's the closest you have to an actual scene. Plus it has a nice color scheme but you really need to bump up the contrast in your coloring because a dude standing in front of a bright light like that would have extreme light/dark shadows cast on him. Also it looks like adding some sort of background would have been nice.

You should probably try to get more experimental with your colors overall because there seems to be an abundance of flat color fill in, with some black shading here and there.

I think some loose dynamic poses would help you get some kinks out, if you could do some non star wars figure studies. Whats with all the star wars!?

I totally agree with the Lense flare, I just couldnt make a sun look right without it :( . Although, I managed to sneak one past you in the picture of the jedi standing with lightsabes crossed in front of him! Ha Ha!

My fav is also the one thats a scene, and it did actaully have a background, it was a hutt watching ominously, but it looked rubbish. I also completely forgot to do dark shadow for him, I did light highlights on his front but just completely overlooked the shadow. I might go back and alter that one...

And theyre all Star wars because I did these for the people over at Star Wars The Old Republic forums :P they kind of like it when there Star Wars characters look.....Star Warsy.

Thanks for the reply, I agree with everything.

Seiphon on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The pinups are nice. I'd like to see some backgrounds.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DEFINATELY a leap forward in quality. I think your line work is pretty good. Time to work on your tones and values. They are lacking at the moment. Improve in that area and i think you will be doing some really awesome stuff in a few months. Keep at it champ!

also, agree with Nib. Work on backgrounds. The worst thing is when you're really good at figure drawing, but can't draw them in an environment.

winter_combat_knight on