• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Uh?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I suspect he is decrying Hollywood's perceived lack of creativity, that they are far more likely to rely on sequels, remakes, adaptations and pet projects of established directors than take a chance on something fresh.

Have I got it right?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Right.

I also thought it was strange how the Hollywood poster lists the names of identifiable actors/actresses, whereas, the British version tries to entice you with a proven director.

Feel free to include your own examples.

Slider on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm wondering how many dwarf actors there are in Hollywood cursing and muttering about how Peter Dinklage has the entire dwarf market sewn the fuck up.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    I'm wondering how many dwarf actors there are in Hollywood cursing and muttering about how Peter Dinklage has the entire dwarf market sewn the fuck up.

Have you ever heard of Martin Klebba?

Slider on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

I'm guessing that black dwarf actors in particular are pissed about this movie.

"They switched almost all the white cast to black except the dwarf? FUCK YOU DINKLAGE!"

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, Luke Wilson and Cyclops are in there for some reason.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Neil LaBute is directing this? I'm guessing that him attempting to do a comedy will be nowhere near as funny as the unintentional hilarity of the Wicker Man remake.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dinklage is the best actor under 5 feet since Tom Cruise.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dinklage is Tyrion Lannister.

Bad. Ass.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Which black guy is playing Wash?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Dinklage is Tyrion Lannister.

Bad. Ass.

This is how I ever pictured this.

GET OUT OF MY MIND HOLLYWOO.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Which black guy is playing Wash?

It's going to be a whiteguy, and I'm putting my money on Luke Wilson.

And three-name-american-pie-guy is the guy with the sister crush.

EDIT:

This is clearly wrong on multiple levels.

Wash is Cyclops. Luke Wilson is the other one.

EDIT2: The more I think about this, the more I think it's pretty bad. It's already screaming "haha black people are funny and more emotional and crazy than white people" at me.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    White people mourn like this.

Black people mourn like this.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    2001:
    groupshot_s2.jpg

2005:
    the-office-cast-full-photo-smaller.jpg

Am I doing this right?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    White people mourn like this.

Black people mourn like this.

When white people die, it's an accident.

When black people die THEY PLAN IT.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    2001:
    groupshot_s2.jpg

2005:
    the-office-cast-full-photo-smaller.jpg

Am I doing this right?

Yes.

I had never seen nor heard of the original British version prior to the start of the US series. Now I've seen both and, to be honest, find the US take much more entertaining.

Slider on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dunno, I don't mind this.

It seems different enough that it's akin to the Karate Kid remake, It's a very similar premise and some plot points, but getting from point A to B to C should be different enough.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Curse you, clearly inferior country, for using a clearly superior country's entertainment and putting your own spin on it!

This has never happened before and I am upset at this

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Judging from the list of US shows based on UK shows, compared to UK shows based on US shows, it does lend to Slider's point that Hollywood has no ideas left. Especially in the game show genre. Most of the US->UK adaptations were pre-90s, and from 90s-present it's been a lot of UK->US.

Although the new US thing seems to be borrowing game shows from Japan. And if Hole in the Wall is any example, taking something hilarious and making it boring as hell.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    No-one ever steals our show ideas :(

Well, except for Kath and Kim. And you really fucked that up, by all accounts. Pattern maintained!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

Well, except for Kath and Kim. And you really fucked that up, by all accounts. Pattern maintained!

I don't think we have (m)any shows worth stealing.

Though I would like to see an Americanised McLeod's daughters for the sheer hilarity of it.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    73028-2.jpg
    vs
    82339-3.jpg

The latter is broken, so broken.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nechriah wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »

I don't think we have (m)any shows worth stealing.

Though I would like to see an Americanised McLeod's daughters for the sheer hilarity of it.

We sold thank god you're here to something like 80 countries.

The US office was comparatively rubbish until a few seasons in. Some of the later episodes I've seen were alright but really, I'm hardly going to spend time/money on something devoid of creativity. Fuck remakes.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I personally like the US version of The Office quite a bit more than the original, though that's probably because I loathe Ricky Gervais. So I usually cite it as the exception that proves the rule of American remakes of British shows being terrible.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited March 2010
    The original Death at a Funeral was truly abysmal. It's not like they're remaking Harold & Maude or Kind Hearts & Coronets here. This isn't sacrilege at all.

Opium on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who is it that thinks British entertainment is good enough to remake anyway? Most of American remakes have been superior by a large margin, I for one am looking forward to this:
    http://www.coronacomingattractions.com/news/american-remakes-torchwood-doctor-who-being-planned

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Who is it that thinks British entertainment is good enough to remake anyway? Most of American remakes have been superior by a large margin, I for one am looking forward to this:
    http://www.coronacomingattractions.com/news/american-remakes-torchwood-doctor-who-being-planned

Remember when that American Dr. Who TV movie was made? Good times, good times.

The Office is pretty much the only British show to survive an American remake in the last decade or so, maybe ever.

Oh, and rumor has it the Warner Bros. execs originally wanted to transfer the Harry Potter kids to America. Thank God J.K. Rowling put her foot down.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A great video on the difference between UK and US shows (it is focused on sci-fi though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nsl7_f6ORg

Mc zany on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

Remember when that American Dr. Who TV movie was made? Good times, good times.

The Office is pretty much the only British show to survive an American remake in the last decade or so, maybe ever.

Oh, and rumor has it the Warner Bros. execs originally wanted to transfer the Harry Potter kids to America. Thank God J.K. Rowling put her foot down.

I never saw it, but I heard American Dr. Who was...........interesting. Yeah, I will use that word:P

American Torchwood could work given the nature of the show, but I read that they wanted Jack to be straight, which kills the character.

Besides Who and Torchwood the only UK show I watch is Spooks. I'm a sucker for a spy drama and it's the best I've seen.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I personally like the US version of The Office quite a bit more than the original, though that's probably because I loathe Ricky Gervais. So I usually cite it as the exception that proves the rule of American remakes of British shows being terrible.

I like the UK version more. The US version is just a random "wacky American" sitcom set in an office, it has less to do with cubicle life than The Drew Carey Show, let alone coming close to something like Office Space. I'm not sure why they even stick with the documentary-style cinematography anymore, the show would work just as well if the camera pulled back to the standard 4th wall POV.

The exceptions that prove the rule are Sanford & Son and All in the Family. Of course, those had the benefit of Norman Lear.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Hustle

vs.

Leverage

The latter is broken, so broken.

As far as I know Leverage is not based on Hustle. And in fact, the only real similarity is "Likable group of con men con bad people" which didn't exactly start with Hustle. But either way both are good shows.

Though the third season of Hustle got kind of ridiculous.

Quid on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

I like the UK version more. The US version is just a random "wacky American" sitcom set in an office, it has less to do with cubicle life than The Drew Carey Show, let alone coming close to something like Office Space. I'm not sure why they even stick with the documentary-style cinematography anymore, the show would work just as well if the camera pulled back to the standard 4th wall POV.

The exceptions that prove the rule are Sanford & Son and All in the Family. Of course, those had the benefit of Norman Lear.

The documentary conceit is actually hurting The Office at this point. Who the fuck is financing a five year look inside the workings of a branch office of a paper company? It worked better for the UK version because they don't have as many episodes per 'season' and it was never meant to run very long anyway.

But decrying Hollywood's inability to come up with their own ideas is really more like yelling at the sky for being blue, again, in the morning. What's next? Something about airline food?

Anyway, having seen the trailer for the remake and having seen the original movie, I don't think the remake is particularly necessary but also hardly the worst thing Hollywood has ever done. I'll probably check it out through Netflix.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

It seems different enough that it's akin to the Karate Kid remake, It's a very similar premise and some plot points, but getting from point A to B to C should be different enough.

This is about how I feel. I mean, they could call Karate Kid "Jaden Smith's Big Time China Adventure" or they could just be honest and call it what it is. Pretty sure if they created a story about a kid who learns kung fu from an old Chinese guy in order to stand up for himself there'd be a number of people calling it just that.

Quid on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quid wrote: »

This is about how I feel. I mean, they could call Karate Kid "Jaden Smith's Big Time China Adventure" or they could just be honest and call it what it is. Pretty sure if they created a story about a kid who learns kung fu from an old Chinese guy in order to stand up for himself there'd be a number of people calling it just that.

They could at least call it "The Kung Fu Kid" which has a badass sound to it, like a western where people get punched in the throat.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Octoparrot wrote: »

They could at least call it "The Kung Fu Kid" which has a badass sound to it, like a western where people get punched in the throat.

I think that's actually the plan, outside of North America. But in NA, I guess they want to capitalize on the Karate Kid franchise? I don't know. Kung-Fu Kid would be fine, especially with Chan's involvement.

Underdog on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    rec500mi4.jpg

quarantine.jpg

Not terrible, just entirely unnecessary.

I'm a lot more skeptical about any horror movie that attempts to have any kind of plot or drama involved.

And thankfully this terrible terrible idea got put down.

But a few are inevitably going to slip through.

*sigh* I'm just going to keep telling myself that they haven't ruined anything. All the originals are still there on the shelves for anyone who can get over their need to be spoonfed subtitleless homogenized gooseshit.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Underdog wrote: »
    Octoparrot wrote: »

I think that's actually the plan, outside of North America. But in NA, I guess they want to capitalize on the Karate Kid franchise? I don't know. Kung-Fu Kid would be fine, especially with Chan's involvement.

That and most Americans don't know, or care about, the difference between karate and kung-fu.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    But a few are inevitably going to slip through.

what

why would you remake this

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png