As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [chat] is for _J_

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm not correctly guiding my argument.

What I'm trying to say is that the concept of one could be something that does not exist in reality, but only in our conception of reality. So, we can very easily refer to "one flower" because our entire mental system is based on the concept of numbers. But "one flower" defined in purely physical terms is a ridiculous notion. There is no way to measure or define "one flower".

Sure there is.

Define "one".
    Define "flower".

Then you'll know what "one flower" means.

People like to trot out this argument as "does 'one flower' include the stem, the roots, what kind of flower?"

To which one need simply reply, "Define your god damned terms."

But you're going to be hitting some tricky fucking territory. Does one flower describe this flower at one point in time? What about particles of oxygen that are leaving the flower, or carbon dioxide that is entering it, do these constitute part of the flower? At which point across the opening of the stigmata do those particles constitute a part of the flower?

You're going to run into a huge amount of arbitrariness, if you can even manage to finish a definition at all (and this will get very hard once we start describing sub-atomic particles).

My guess is that "one flower" will function as a definition if we are atomistic, or recognize that eventually we get to indivisible parts. Absent that, then we are very much stuck with an infinite regress of vagueness.

At the macroscopic level we could bypass the vagueness by positing a wealth of stipulation onto the phrase "one flower".

But the best solution is probably to expand the linguistic articulation.

Ultimately, I think we need a 1-1 correspondence of language to atomistic particle. Then there would be no vagueness.

That won't do it, though! A flower is not only an arrangement of atoms! It's an arrangement of energy, and has a distinct history, it's a continuation of an unbroken line of other organisms back to the very first living things. You have to understand, it's nearly impossible to describe a single flower without describing it's relationship to the entire rest of the universe. And then, you are describing but one individual flower, not some sort of category that multiple "flowers" could fit into.

Winky on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Johannen wrote: »
    But yeah on saying that jumping from physics to evolution depends on how you make the jump. All science is wielded terribly in philosophical arguments though.... Depending on what you count as "science".

Actually, I find that philosophy is wielded terribly in scientific arguments.

It goes both ways

just like your mother

Arch on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    also this weekend the 1 train made me want to die i hope its not like that next weekend because of construction

OH CRAP

I just remembered

someone threw themselves in front of a 1 train at the stop right near me like a few hours ago
    like a block away from me
    D:

well

you could have literally died on the 2 train

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20001321-504083.html

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd still like to know what problem _J_ has with infinite regress

or vagueness, for that matter.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    today in my astrobiology class we talked about extremophiles on earth!
    crazy shit!
    stuff that lives in radiation 500x greater than would kill people! stuff that lives at absurd temperatures!

and interestingly, since we now know that 99.9% of bacteria and archea are not culturable when we sent the viking thing to mars 30 years ago, well, they didnt want to contaminate mars so they cleaned the shit out of the lander and tested it by swabbing the side and seeing if things in petri dishes grew

so we might have actually contaminated the surface of mars with some microbial organisms >.> oops

and then we were the creation myth

Yeah, this'll bite us in the ass in a few thousand millennia.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    mixed drinks are for sissies

shots and beers are all that is permitting in my household

shooting alcohol is a way to get "drinking" out of the way. You might as well be throwing back rubbing alcohol.

Mixing or sipping is how to enjoy alcohol.

Beer can be fine but you probably have a fridge reserved for MGD in your place.

nexus

Oh shit you did not just insult my beer taste

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    PAX East to move to larger convention center in Boston next year

I guess they need more space. Hynes was at capactiy with60K attendees.

They're moving to the boston convention center, down near the World Trade Center in the harbor district. It's not as central as Hynes, which is too bad, but it's not like Boston is a giant city where you can't walk pretty much everywhere.

It's pretty close to South Station in one direction and Southie in the other.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

shooting alcohol is a way to get "drinking" out of the way. You might as well be throwing back rubbing alcohol.

nexus

thems fightin words
    Yuengling is the lowest beer either of us will stoop to

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New Diet Fad Sweeping the Nation!

Induced Comas Are The New EASY Weight-Loss Plan Guaranteed To Work! Lose Inches While Time Flies! Our Medically Certified Staff Will Take Care Of Your Body While You Dream Away In Bliss!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    tapeslinger could i convince you to drag nexus into the city saturday afternoon around 12 or 1

by the scruff of his neck if at all possible

Organichu on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    today in my astrobiology class we talked about extremophiles on earth!
    crazy shit!
    stuff that lives in radiation 500x greater than would kill people! stuff that lives at absurd temperatures!

and interestingly, since we now know that 99.9% of bacteria and archea are not culturable when we sent the viking thing to mars 30 years ago, well, they didnt want to contaminate mars so they cleaned the shit out of the lander and tested it by swabbing the side and seeing if things in petri dishes grew

so we might have actually contaminated the surface of mars with some microbial organisms >.> oops

and then we were the creation myth

I love the bacteria which lives in radioactive substances and turns it into basically inert compounds.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090908193444.htm

Johannen on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010

that's not what you said on your birthday last year

did he ask for something with peach schnapps in it?

he asked for something with peach schnapps in it didn't he?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A flower is inextricable from the entire rest of the universe, all parts of the universe are deeply intertwined. This is the entire basis of my argument that there are not "entities" there is one "entity".

Winky on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

nexus

Yeah will he drinks Mikes Hard lemonade like a man.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like Yuengling OK. I drink it when I'm east coasting.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I watched the first Pokemon movie last night.

And again today.

Fuck yeah.

Tav on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

what is wrong with peach schnapps?

Arch on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Johannen wrote: »
    But yeah on saying that jumping from physics to evolution depends on how you make the jump. All science is wielded terribly in philosophical arguments though.... Depending on what you count as "science".

Actually, I find that philosophy is wielded terribly in scientific arguments.

It goes both ways

just like your mother

I agree with Feral here.

I also agree with Arch.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    New Diet Fad Sweeping the Nation!

Induced Comas Are The New EASY Weight-Loss Plan Guaranteed To Work! Lose Inches While Time Flies! Our Medically Certified Staff Will Take Care Of Your Body While You Dream Away In Bliss!

medium.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    nexus has pretty good taste in beer

we were at the liquor store and i opened one of the fridge doors and he just gave me this derisive, cutting look

like by offering up that particular six pack for consideration i was asking him to fellate a homeless person or something

he is pretty serious about his brewskis let me tell you

Organichu on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    imma go to work now.

this was a good [chat]

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    synd gabe and tycho are doin a signing tomorrow

wanna go?

what time?

Kinokuniya books a like 6:30ish?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It's okay aside from pretty much sucking.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

no he wanted pete schnapps

it's what he calls a bj

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    tapeslinger could i convince you to drag nexus into the city saturday afternoon around 12 or 1

by the scruff of his neck if at all possible

I have to work saturday :(
    he's usually pretty easy to bribe, though

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    My guess is that "one flower" will function as a definition if we are atomistic, or recognize that eventually we get to indivisible parts. Absent that, then we are very much stuck with an infinite regress of vagueness.

Why is an infinite regress of vagueness unacceptable?

Because if we maintain that X is vague then we are maintaining that there is an X which exhibits the quality of vagueness. Which means that there is an X.

Which means that there being an X is not vague, but rather that X exhibits the quality of vagueness.

Which means that there cannot be an infinite regress, because there is X, as a discrete particular which exhibits vaguenss.

If you maintain that there is an infinite regress of vagueness, and that X is vague, then you cannot maintain that there is an X which is vague, but rather that there is just vagueness, absent a discrete particular which exhibits vagueness.

Except that means that there is "vagueness" as itself a discrete particular. Which means there is no infinite regress, given that there is "vagueness" and if the regress were infinite there could not be a vagueness which was itself discrete.

a bloo a bloo a bloo

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tav wrote: »

And again today.

Fuck yeah.

For those playing at home. "Is Tav Still Irish?"

Mark this one a no.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    god who the fuck wants to enjoy their alcohol

Tav on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

nexus

look dude i don't even know if OE qualifies as beer

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

it's drinkable from a good tap

in bottles it is le ass

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    also i really like my sig/av.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    if there is a "redness," is there a "slightly darker redness" and a "burnt sienna" and a universal for every single imaginable discrete concept? what about particulars which we imagine but never see, like Podly's unicorn? is this realm one of infinite potentiality?

There is a universal for every shared actual quality.

would this realm exist without human existence? if there were no minds in the universe, would "redness" still exist?

Yup.
    what is the nature of the relationship between a red apple and this form of "redness"? what is relationship between those two things and the human mind - does it connect them itself, or simply perceive an already extant relationship?

The redness is instantiated in the red apple. The mind recognizes the relation.
    if the nature of these forms is ideal, incorporeal, non-physical, does that make you a dualist?

Yup.
    how can you justify their existence without cause or fundament? if they benefit from brute existence, can other things do so, like perhaps a physical universe and its rules?

Not sure I understand this.

how does instantiation occur? what is the nature of that process?

what is the nature of our perception, for that matter - are we perceiving the apple, or only a complex web of instantiations - appleness, redness, roundness, shininess, fruitness, etc?

as for the last bit, what I meant was that you seem to believe that existence is derived from or produced by or a reflection of these transcendent forms. you seem to have reached this conclusion by ascertaining that there must be some kind of more fundamental realm of reality that causes what we see, or provides a foundation upon which it can rest - how can we say that an apple is red, how can that discrete concept be named and utilized, if it does not in fact exist, and how else can it exist but in an incorporeal realm, etc.

my question is therefore: if the nature of reality as we perceive or experience it leads you to conclude that there is a realm of forms, how then does the nature of the realm of forms not lead you to conclude that there must be an even more fundamental level of reality, and indeed, an infinite regress of such realities?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Why is an infinite regress of vagueness unacceptable?

Because if we maintain that X is vague then we are maintaining that there is an X which exhibits the quality of vagueness. Which means that there is an X.

Which means that there being an X is not vague, but rather that X exhibits the quality of vagueness.

Which means that there cannot be an infinite regress, because there is X, as a discrete particular which exhibits vaguenss.

If you maintain that there is an infinite regress of vagueness, and that X is vague, then you cannot maintain that there is an X which is vague, but rather that there is just vagueness, absent a discrete particular which exhibits vagueness.

Except that means that there is "vagueness" as itself a discrete particular. Which means there is no infinite regress, given that there is "vagueness" and if the regress were infinite there could not be a vagueness which was itself discrete.

a bloo a bloo a bloo

What do you mean by discrete?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    also this weekend the 1 train made me want to die i hope its not like that next weekend because of construction

OH CRAP

I just remembered

someone threw themselves in front of a 1 train at the stop right near me like a few hours ago
    like a block away from me
    D:

well

you could have literally died on the 2 train

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20001321-504083.html

oh jeez, goddamn

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Eh, I think it's kind of a novelty thing. Like whoa drinking east coast beer and watching the toilets run the other way! You guys are crazy over there.

Oh and speaking of beer Pilsners are pretty good I think.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Seriously. I hear so many folks say

"OH MAN I WISH I COULD GET YUENGLING IN OHIO"

and I just stare at them. Unsure if there is some lost connection that I failed to make.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

nexus

look dude i don't even know if OE qualifies as beer

Old english malt liquor? Damn old man you are pulling out all the insults, thats a 7/11 brew.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah will he drinks Mikes Hard lemonade like a man.

that's only after he's gotten started with a few zimas

The bubbles tickle his nose tee hee!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

And again today.

Fuck yeah.

For those playing at home. "Is Tav Still Irish?"

Mark this one a no.
    god who the fuck wants to enjoy their alcohol
    And a swift yes to cancel it out. Or possibly "Is Tav still too young to buy nice alcohol?"

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited March 2010

we mixed a birthday drink, called the That's What She Said
    peach schnapps, dark rum, gold tequila, and some kind of seltzer

edit: to be fair we were pretty heavy handed with the dark rum, though I suppose I'm not making the case for him

tapeslinger on
This discussion has been closed.