As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Enforcer] Appreciation

Jon007Jon007 Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in PAX Archive
'ello,

I know this is a total suck-up thread but I have to do it. As a PAX virgin, the experience would never have been close to awesome if it wasn't for these guys. Here's some of my experiences:

1. I think I was the initial pole-knocker-downer in the queue room on Friday @ 10:45ish. They were totally cool. I helped hold up the barrier and the Enforcers and I duct-taped it back together. He said no worries and never made me feel like a fool, (even though I was).

2. Many tips and tricks on my MTG decks from multiple enforcers.

3. SUPER busy halls and walkways in the expo center were kept mostly clear basically due to these guys alone.

4. All lines were made in an organized way and never got out of hand, (at least not in the seven or so I was in) again, due to the Enforcers.

5. Always nice, gave me directions and/or advice on many occasions no matter how dumb my question and only added to the experience.

6. From my interactions, they were NEVER dicks.

Any other great run-ins?

Jon007 on

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I compliment them on their excellent formation of lines and their respect for geometry!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I gotta say the BYOC enforcers were super awesome! BigRed and his gang did a great job with keeping BYOC organized and running (even if we were throwing paper airplanes in the halls at 1am.) All the enforces I ran into were awesome and very helpful. Thanks again enforcers!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The enforcers were definitely worthy of sucking up to. They made the convention possible, as PA always says, and it was awesome.

Goose! on
  • Options
    ZaphodAVAZaphodAVA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was at the event working as a judge in the Magic tabletop area, and I'd also like to send a big thanks out to the Enforcers. They were professional and friendly, helping my tournament players as well as acting as a liaison between us and the venue staff. They checked with us frequently to make sure our needs were met so we could do our job helping people play.

When the biggest Magic event of the weekend began to have major issues exactly when the Fire Marshall arrived and needed to organize the mob, the Enforcer staff was particularly a great help to us so we could focus on getting the 160 players seated and playing. (My apologies again to those that had that wait, we hate long delays and work hard to avoid them)

I tip my hats to you Enforcers, you are a large part of the reason PAX is an amazing experience, no matter which coast it is.

ZaphodAVA on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got the chance to hang out and drink with a few enforcers on Thursday. They were cool as shit.

Also had several interactions with them over the weekend, and they were still cool as shit, even when thousands of angry people who queued for 5 hours descended upon them.

Thanks, enforcers.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    ROFLROFL Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have been to plenty of cons in my time and I have to say, the Enforcers are the NICEST and most PATIENT of them. At console freeplay, the Enforcer said it was time up, but we could finish the level we were on. At Anime Boston, they would've shut the system off.

When lining up they said "we just need you to move a little more this way. sorry!" At Anime Boston, they would've been screaming at everyone that they shouldn't line up more than 15 minutes early and they had to leave the area and come back later.

My friend and I had an Enforcer leave his spot and WALK US to the end of the line, which we had trouble finding. He noticed we looked confused, asked where we were headed, and walked us to the end. And he was very nice about it and cheerful. Not like it was his job.

They all had a good sense of humor and they were wonderful at their job, and at working WITH people, not against them. I didn't have a single issue with them and I usually have issues with con-staff. Just goes to show that this is the best con out there. It really did feel like I was home.

ROFL on
  • Options
    spitfishspitfish Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I agree. The enforcers were great the entire time! I had a lot of positive encounters with the enforcers. Their feedback was so positive that I decided to sign up to be one at Pax East '11!

spitfish on
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My non-PAing co-worker attended and thought enforcers had to be paid staff because of how nice they all were. He was a bit shocked when I told him they were just people who volunteer.

Brofists all around Enforcers, you did a fantastic job.

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I tried to thank every one I could and, honestly, hope to try my hand at it next time purely because I want to give back the help I received. As someone who used a wheelchair for most of my time there (props to the Hynes for that), every Enforcer was really awesome making sure that those of us who needed to get to places before the Hordes or after the ravenous horde descended. In particular, HUGE Grape Ape-sized props to Maze, Aaron (sorry if I got your name wrong), and whoever the lead enforcer was in the main theater and their crews. Those guys bent over backwards to help.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    jabrazellejabrazelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I <3 the enforcers! They brought order to this huge seemingly unwieldy event. I think next PAX East we need to come up with a event long enforcer appreciation thingy. Like bringing snack/drinks or giving buttons/hugs to any enforcers that helped make your PAX a great one.

jabrazelle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They were volunteers?!

Geez, I was giving them thanks and I thought they were paid! Wow, super props to all of you!:mrgreen:

Jon007 on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jon007 wrote: »
    'ello,

I know this is a total suck-up thread but I have to do it. As a PAX virgin, the experience would never have been close to awesome if it wasn't for these guys. Here's some of my experiences:

1. I think I was the initial pole-knocker-downer in the queue room on Friday @ 10:45ish. They were totally cool. I helped hold up the barrier and the Enforcers and I duct-taped it back together. He said no worries and never made me feel like a fool, (even though I was).

3. SUPER busy halls and walkways in the expo center were kept mostly clear basically due to these guys alone.

4. All lines were made in an organized way and never got out of hand, (at least not in the seven or so I was in) again, due to the Enforcers.

5. Always nice, gave me directions and/or advice on many occasions no matter how dumb my question and only added to the experience.

Any other great run-ins?

10:45?

Hah no by far. We were in the front of the main theater line starting around 9:20ish and someone knocked one down in a epic fashion right after. We enjoyed cheering when people did it.

But definitely props to the enforcers there were issues, but they were all polite, helpful, and trying to do their best which to me counts to most.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah. Hence my, "think I was the first one". I seemed to have thought wrong.

Jon007 on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Enforces had a lot to put up with considering the sell-out crowd.

They bring glory to the red shirt.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    baelionbaelion Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wanted to thank the enforcers this weekend again. They really made everything run smoothly, and I'm assuming they were so good that none of them were killed horribly by various space monsters

Oh, and I hope the guys that got it enjoyed some of the British candy I handed off to LewieP'sMum.

baelion on
    Masters Degree Student: PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT NERDCORE
    Twitter
    Lord help me, I chose !Squirtle
    munkeefish.png
  • Options
    AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A big THANK YOU to all of the enforcers! I was also working in the MTG play area this weekend. Thanks to the enforcers who helped us with the Fire Marshall, those who helped find out what to do with copious amounts of cardboard and trash (Magic can be a messy game), and to all those that helped me out when I got lost. Many many thanks, on both professional and personal levels.

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    can't be said enough, thank you to each and every enforcer. PAX would simply fall apart without you guys. you all did an amazing job and should feel incredibly proud of yourselves.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    enforcers are awesome! i wanna try and get in on that next year.
    awesome group of guys/gals, the whole lot
    to the enforcers: hope you enjoyed the show as much as the rest of us did :D

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    lojurivelojurive Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I LOVE THE ENFORCERS!!!!! A couple of Special Shoutouts to some specific ones!

PLAID LAD!! My little girl and I will continue to wear your button proudly! You were her FAVORITE enforcer!

My FIRST enforcer *blush* was a big guy wearing a kilt, knee socks and a beret and had thick rimmed glasses. Not only were you friendly but EXTREMELY helpful while the Enforcers were getting the 401 on our special guest passes.

And the last enforcer that made an impression on me was the GREAT BEAR OF A MAN who stood behind my husband and I at the Saturday concert. You were funny and friendly even though you were off-shift.

I think you were all wonderful! I can't wait to attend my first PAX Prime!

lojurive on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    lojurive wrote: »

My FIRST enforcer *blush* was a big guy wearing a kilt, knee socks and a beret and had thick rimmed glasses. Not only were you friendly but EXTREMELY helpful while the Enforcers were getting the 401 on our special guest passes.

I saw this guy. He helped out a ton at the console free-play area on Friday night. Indeed he was super nice, and kept the room running squeaky clean and organized.

Jon007 on
  • Options
    lojurivelojurive Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lojurive wrote: »

I saw this guy. He helped out a ton at the console free-play area on Friday night. Indeed he was super nice, and kept the room running squeaky clean and organized.

I just watched our copy of the PAX09 DVD and he was in the first couple of scenes of the PAX Experience. I am TOTALLY looking for him at the next PAX!

lojurive on
  • Options
    50 More Trash50 More Trash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here is my quick list of eye catching Enforcers:

1) The Dude in PlateMail... awesome.
    2) Kilt guy... equally awesome.
    3) Girl with feathery extensions in her hair working the console freeplay on Saturday night relatively late... I can't believe she was so peppy and happy! It was pretty infectious.
    4) Girl cleaning the controllers at the console freeplay... same deal.
    5) Eff it... the whole console freeplay crew at Saturday night post 10 pm... thankless jobs but a pretty awesome crew of people.

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just have to chime in here again with all the thanks to the enforcers here, it's amazing how cheerful they managed to stay across the whole weekend..
    And i do have to thank the enforcers at the book signing Sunday for agreeing to take pictures of people whilst getting their stuff signed whilst also managing the line.. It's the things like that that make these the best con 'staff' that I've ever encountered

Baka Al on
  • Options
    Hunter RoseHunter Rose Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I talked to a lot of Enforcers (on and off-duty). They were all wonderful.

Special thanks to the man at the entrance to the 2nd Queue room on the first day. I came through very early to scout out the situation because my wife has fibromyalgia and could not have endured the line for long. He not only told that medical passes were available, but he also got me two bracelets for the concert. That wasn't the last time that I saw Enforcers step up.

Hunter Rose on
  • Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't have any direct encounters with the Enforcer squad this weekend, but I enjoyed their exuberance and reassuring presence. One Enforcer was trying to make his way through the crowd; he was obviously in a hurry, but he was cracking jokes along the way as he politely made his way through the crowd, Alistair style.

Soyduck on
  • Options
    DruVirusDruVirus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thank you, guys! It does my heart (and I'm sure the other Enforcer's hearts) good to see we're actually appreciated and not just a side-note people cheer for when we come up in conversation. ^_^

Personally, I was mainly Handheld Lounge 9pm - 2am (the guy with the Bulbasaur hat) but you may have seen me runnin' about other places. I know I did a bunch of Pokewalker stuff and helped people find DS games they may like and .. in all honesty .. that was the fun part of the con! A lot of my fellow enforcers out there didn't see the majority of the stuff we did as work but mainly as sharing our love for what we did, be it Console Freeplay, BYOC, or selling the brand at merch.

The only reason Enforcers could be so nice, helpful and patient is because you gave us that same respect back. If we asked you to move back you didn't argue and if we said a room was full you didn't complain. Everyone was there for fun and the thousands of you having fun took a bunch of stress off of our shoulders, so .. a BIG thank you to you guys, too!!!

DruVirus on
    Virus ; COLOR="Green"]!Chikorita Gold[/COLOR] -- PAX East PokeCrawl
    COLOR="Blue"]!Ravenclaw[/COLOR] House -- PAX Prime Tri-Wizard Drinking
    PAX Pokemon League Dark Gym Leader
    [Enforcer]
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    my wife and i also want to give a big thanks to the Enforcers. all but one were really positive and polite, even when dishing out news people didn't want to hear.

oh, and I'm gonna second the mad props to the guy that wore chain mail and armor all weekend. you sir, are a man among men. toting around a little bag all weekend, i got tired. I can't imagine wearing the armor and staying polite and helpful.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Enforcers are wonderful. I thank you all so much. You made the con awesome.

And I can't believe they're all volunteers who are just so helpful and nice; at one point someone came up to me and asked for a picture with me (since I was Vanille) and said that he'd seen me and wanted a picture earlier but he was on duty and it wouldn't have been professional to leave his post.

I'd assumed that that was at least because he was getting paid, but when I found out they were volunteers I realized it's really just because they care. So good job, Enforcers. You all rock.

Loweryi on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I appreciate Enforcers.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whoever was the enforcer in the Wil Wheaton line was awesome. I lent a guy in line some money to get a book for his wife, and thus didn't have enough money to get everything to be signed. The enforcer covered me the money so I wouldn't have to wait in line. Thanks a lot man!

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    HakaelHakael Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Enforcers were generally good people.
    Not a bad group to go out drinking with either.

Hakael on
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    'ello,

Any other great run-ins?

OH! So that was you Friday that we all cheered at? BWahahaha.

Seriously though, thanks a ton Enforcers. ALL OF YOU. You spend your time to make PAX a better experience for us all.

atiari on
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    to the enforcers: hope you enjoyed the show as much as the rest of us did :D

Rest assured we did. Glad everyone had a great time!

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aye, thank you Enforcers for doing such a great job! It sounds like it was the first time for a lot of you, and I think you did great! Well done! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DazeKazeDazeKaze Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I walked around on Sunday with a box of candy, monster, and cookies. I gave them out to all the enforcers I passed who looked like they needed a pick me up. I also offered Khoo some, but he turned it down.

DazeKaze on
  • Options
    Bigtoy_JBigtoy_J Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have to give props to the Enforcer that helped some of us in the Bill Amend panel debacle. He started out berating us for "tearing up his line" (one pole was knocked down, we really should not have been cutting out). But once he started getting our frustration about being abandoned not once but twice by enforcers giving us different instruction then bailing, he was able to eventually get us in line for the panel. (The path we took looks like a Family Circus strip.)

I appreciate that he went from scolding to helping once he realized what was going on. Lesser men have stood their grounds and not taken the time to reevaluate a bad situation. I just wish I had gotten his name.

Bigtoy_J on
    Love George Bernard Shaw quotations.

Also, I can count to "boat".
  • Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Every single Enforcer we met was absolutely wonderful. This was my and Facelesscog's first vacation since his cancer ordeal over two years ago. As an overprotective wife I was terrified that the crowds, lines, hallways, basically everything would be a fight for us.

I do not believe we would have had such a great experience if not for the hard work of the red shirts. I cannot express how much this PAX has meant to us. Thank you from the heart.

Rebecca on
  • Options
    Mike TooleMike Toole Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I spent several years staffing conventions, so I know what a challenge it can be. This is why, as I made my way out at 6pm on Sunday, I made sure to approach every red shirt I spotted and tell them they were awesome. All were appreciative, some were very surprised to be thanked. They shouldn't have been, a strong and friendly volunteer presence is what makes all events like this work.

I think the ones that impressed me the most were the console freeplay attendants-- that place was a nonstop rush of signups, signins, signouts, checking out games and controllers, checking in games and controllers, and strolling the aisles to help clueless people get their stuff working and remind the throngs when their thirty minutes were up. The place was NUTS nonstop, open to close, and I didn't see a single frayed nerve, didn't hear an edge in anyone's voice-- the entire gang was cool as a cucumber. It was awesome.

Mike Toole on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Enforcers. Enforcers are like demi-gods sent down from Gabe&Tycho's Mt. Olympus. The Chain Mail Enforcer even looked like one with his armor. And especially him, on Friday, when I probably came up to him five times that day asking questions he'd probably heard over and over, he was kind, conciderate, polite, and helpful.

Being in cosplay (especially something as revealing as the Witch), I wasn't given different treatment than any of the other attendees, which I was most greatful for. The Enforcers were especially understanding and leniant about my in-character-ness. When my screaming got out of hand and they couldn't tell if it was actually someone in trouble or not, they politely asked me to bring it down. I did, but it wasn't enough, so they aked me a second time. But they weren't angry or impatient, they simply told me that it had to come down more. That was the last time they had to ask, and hopefully I did a good enough job (I restrained myself, I really did).

Even after I took the Witch costume off and switched to the clothes I came in with, some still recognized me and exchanged light, pleasent conversation. It was a fabulous experience with fabulous people. : )

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aside from a blanket "YOU ROCK" to all the enforcers, I just want to give a special thank you to the enforcers that guarded the doors to the BYOC. They put up with my constant running back and forth getting cookies for the Cookie Brigade with a smile. So much love for the Enforcers! <3

astillac on
This discussion has been closed.