As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The feasibility of armed revolution against the government

2»

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's only as silly as the proposition that the US suddenly becomes a despotic and tyrannical government intent on taking away people's guns.

ORLY? Democratic governments haven't fallen into despotism or fascism and decided to take away people's guns?

Oh wait, they have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Weapons_Law

Savant on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    moniker wrote: »

@ Shrew: Read this. It wasn't a war of Northern aggression.

While, no, it wasn't a war of Northern Aggression and it was in fact about slavery, it did mark an important turning point in our country. When the war started, our country stopped being a voluntary union of people. Our government effectively said, we will kill to keep what we see as ours. While it's why the South broke away, I don't for a moment think that the North declared war to free the slaves, just as I don't believe our current war is about any of the reasons that we have heard.

RE: Nazi Germany...

This I saw in the middle of the prairie states. I think it was South Dakota. It says "GUN CONTROL WAS HITLER'S PLAN"

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Savant wrote: »
    It's only as silly as the proposition that the US suddenly becomes a despotic and tyrannical government intent on taking away people's guns.

ORLY? Democratic governments haven't fallen into despotism or fascism and decided to take away people's guns?

err... whoever you are quoting didn't actually say that democratic governments haven't done that.

He said that it was silly to think that the US would do it suddenly.

You know... kinda how it is silly to think that the US would suddenly do much of anything the German Nazis did, other than maybe build some highways.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I tried to find it but I was wrong. Nothing in the constitution says the U.S. bill of rights can't be changed. So the second amendment can be removed without any contradictions with democratic process. So the gun debate paradox isn't really very concrete.

Edit: I'm feeling a weird sensation from realizing that nothing commonly human is guaranteed to indefinitely be human. Something really scary about not having the security of thinking that the preservation of my ideals is absolute.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    redx wrote: »

err... whoever you are quoting didn't actually say that democratic governments haven't done that.

He said that it was silly to think that the US would do it suddenly.

You know... kinda how it is silly to think that the US would suddenly do much of anything the German Nazis did, other than maybe build some highways.

Well, we are talking about hypothetical situations where the US government lapsed into tyranny, so presumably some other crazy shit would have gone down first. Since there is a historical example of a tyrannical government arising from a democratic one using gun control in such a way, it being silly by way of impossibility is disproven.

But really, if he thinks that hairbrained speculation over what a tyrannical US government would do is silly, why is he even in this thread?

Savant on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    I tried to find it but I was wrong. Nothing in the constitution says the U.S. bill of rights can't be changed. So the second amendment can be removed without any contradictions with democratic process. So the gun debate paradox isn't really very concrete.
    err... well your defense of it actually kinda is, all you have to do is take out the word constitutional.

1. Guns are important tools for defending personal freedom from those who would seek to take those freedoms away.
    2. Gun ownership is a freedom.
    3. Guns are important tools for defending their legal ownership from those who would seek to impinge on the right to own them.

bamf!

Really, getting off your ass and voting, assembling peacefully and speaking freely are going to be better tools, but when push comes to shove, the "they can pry this gun from my cold dead hands" approach would work in a pinch.

redx on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

So you're saying that you disagree with this:
    I hear that sort of argument a lot, and it is sort of silly. Saying that guns have changed so much so the intent of the Constitution wouldn't protect bearing modern arms.

And agree with this:
    the restricting of gun ownership to that of a regulated militia such as the National Guard rather than that of individuals. Going off the notion that arms do not apply to modern weapons but only black powder muzzle loaders. Etc.

:?:

moniker on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you think about it, arms can apply to shit like hacking software. It's really just the ability of the people to fight government in a conflict.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

So you're saying that you disagree with this:
    I hear that sort of argument a lot, and it is sort of silly. Saying that guns have changed so much so the intent of the Constitution wouldn't protect bearing modern arms.

And agree with this:
    the restricting of gun ownership to that of a regulated militia such as the National Guard rather than that of individuals. Going off the notion that arms do not apply to modern weapons but only black powder muzzle loaders. Etc.

:?:

What are you talking about? That doesn't make any sense.

I said that interpreting that the founding fathers meant for the Second Ammendment to only apply for a sanctioned military is silly, due to their views about rebellion against an overbearing central power. By their standards our modern federal government could quite easily qualify for something that needed to be rebelled against. And if a revolution was necessitated, why the hell would they only want modern weapons in the hands of those sanctioned by the oppressive government?

Edit: if all you wanted to do was repeal the 2nd ammendment, you would just need to make another one saying explicitly that it is repealed. See the prohibition argument earlier.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I said that interpreting that the founding fathers meant for the Second Ammendment to only apply for a sanctioned military is silly, due to their views about rebellion against an overbearing central power. By their standards our modern federal government could quite easily qualify for something that needed to be rebelled against. And if a revolution was necessitated, why the hell would they only want modern weapons in the hands of those sanctioned by the oppressive government?

ORLY? And I had said that it is only as silly as the notion that a tyrannical despotic government in control over the US would be bogged down by any concern like that. It's as silly as the premise this thread was made to discuss, so where is the issue you seem to have? Unless you were just trying to be witty rather than making a point.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cause they were not crazy and at the time they didn't know that one day 'modern weapons' would be capable of destroying whole cities.

redx on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Edit: if all you wanted to do was repeal the 2nd ammendment, you would just need to make another one saying explicitly that it is repealed. See the prohibition argument earlier.

That, or have SCOTUS interpret it into meaninglessness. Which, ironically, were my exact points which you seemed to have issue with.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

ORLY? And I had said that it is only as silly as the notion that a tyrannical despotic government in control over the US would be bogged down by any concern like that. It's as silly as the premise this thread was made to discuss, so where is the issue you seem to have? Unless you were just trying to be witty rather than making a point.

They'd be bogged down by the concern of a lot of pissed off people with guns, as they hadn't been taken away prior to that. Repealing the Bill of Rights could easily be justification for an open revolution, at which point you get into 'cold dead hands' territory.

And anyway, although we are getting into off topic country, the 2nd ammendment does not prevent any sort of gun control, just like the 1st ammendment doesn't protect someone's right to run into a movie theater yelling 'fire!' when there is no fire. The 'well regulated militia' part allows for that. However, banning guns outright or de facto banning of guns is prevented by it unless you do a serious retcon on the intent of the law.
    That, or have SCOTUS interpret it into meaninglessness. Which, ironically, were my exact points which you seemed to have issue with.

If SCOTUS did that they would probably just be ignored by other branches of the government. It's happened before.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

They'd be bogged down by the concern of a lot of pissed off people with guns, as they hadn't been taken away prior to that. Repealing the Bill of Rights could easily be justification for an open revolution, at which point you get into 'cold dead hands' territory. And anyway, although we are getting into off topic country, the 2nd ammendment does not prevent any sort of gun control, just like the 1st ammendment doesn't protect someone's right to run into a movie theater yelling 'fire!' when there is no fire. The 'well regulated militia' part allows for that. However, banning guns outright or de facto banning of guns is prevented by it unless you do a serious retcon on the intent of the law.

A retcon similiar to what past despotic tyrannical governments have done in their countries?

moniker on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We're too large a country. Both geographically and in population. I agree with most here that we'd likely become a more authoritarian or totalitarian governed country. However, it could happen that a large state like California could become so ideologically opposed to our federal government that it would want to secede. Granted, this would be a long ways off but financially California has the populace and finance to really give the US a go at say a civil war.

Such a war wouldn't be any Marxist Revolution. The prolitarians of the world are too easily trounced and fooled by our larger governments of the world.

If the US were to ever find itself in civil war, it would not be a war of the people. But of organized political heavy weights.

Werdna on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And anyway, although we are getting into off topic country, the 2nd ammendment does not prevent any sort of gun control, just like the 1st ammendment doesn't protect someone's right to run into a movie theater yelling 'fire!' when there is no fire. The 'well regulated militia' part allows for that. However, banning guns outright or de facto banning of guns is prevented by it unless you do a serious retcon on the intent of the law.

No, the "well-regulated militia" part has nothing to do with that. It's a statement of purpose, not a burden to be placed on ownership or a suggestion that such ownership should be regulated. But you're correct in that the 2nd doesn't prevent gun control; just that it's the vague definitions of "arms," "bear," and "infringed" that allow for this. That, and of course the whole "compelling public interest" factor.

EDIT: Sorry, I know there's another gun control thread. It's just that the mangling of that phrase, as well as the refusal by some to admit that there may be alternate interpretations of it, really gets annoying sometimes.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

If SCOTUS did that they would probably just be ignored by other branches of the government. It's happened before.

No, they wouldn't, because SCOTUS would be acting in concert with those other branches of government. Just with their own despotic flair. Rehnquist's gold stripes might make a comeback, for instance.

For someone who linked to Nazi Germany you don't seem to have a great grasp over what constitutes a tyrannical government.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

haven't they already done just that. Like, that is why there are all sorts of laws impinging on folks right to bear arms.

shit... I thought he was being ironic when he said that.

redx on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

haven't they already done just that. Like, that is why there are all sorts of laws impinging on folks right to bear arms.

Hasn't SCOTUS interpreted what constitutes interstate trade in a way that is so broad as to make the term almost meaningless?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Mr PantsMr Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Does the second amendment even matter? It seems like we're all assuming that a tyrannical government would want to appear tyrannical, which I doubt they would. I don't think any government would be dumb enough to openly repeal the bill o' rights, when ignoring them is so much easier.

Mr Pants on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Mr Pants wrote: »
    Does the second amendment even matter? It seems like we're all assuming that a tyrannical government would want to appear tyrannical, which I doubt they would. I don't think any government would be dumb enough to openly repeal the bill o' rights, when ignoring them is so much easier.

Ignoring it would inevitably lead to legal battles culminating in a SCOTUS trial which would require an interpretation that toes the totalitarian line, regardless of how mangled the phrasing becomes.

The issue is more or less what kind of authoritarian government we're going to get. If it's a semi-benign one that just has extremely limited (but existing) civil liberties, with CCTV cameras everywhere and up your colon then this likely wouldn't come about. If you have one where citizens are being picked up and sent to concentration camps it might be an issue.

moniker on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Ignoring it would inevitably lead to legal battles culminating in a SCOTUS trial which would require an interpretation that toes the totalitarian line, regardless of how mangled the phrasing becomes.

The issue is more or less what kind of authoritarian government we're going to get. If it's a semi-benign one that just has extremely limited (but existing) civil liberties, with CCTV cameras everywhere and up your colon then this likely wouldn't come about. If you have one where citizens are being picked up and sent to concentration camps it might be an issue.

The SCOTUS has been ignored before. Remember all of those Indian treaties?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    No, they wouldn't, because SCOTUS would be acting in concert with those other branches of government. Just with their own despotic flair. Rehnquist's gold stripes might make a comeback, for instance.

For someone who linked to Nazi Germany you don't seem to have a great grasp over what constitutes a tyrannical government.

So now we are assuming all branches of government are in collusion to necessitate a take over? I don't think that is necessary, but let's run with it for a bit.

When guns are banned through whatever means, there is still the issue of the large population of pissed off gun holders, who were previously lawbiding but are now criminals. If that population doesn't exist or is in collusion with the would be tyrant then that fits into the category of the populace willingly devolving into fascism or despotism. I don't really see how that population would up and disappear given their prevalence throughout US history in some form or another, and if they are in league with the tyrant then they still have their guns, which isn't really a true prohibition.

Now, I would assume some of this group would back down and hand over their guns, but it is very likely that a substantial portion will be pushed underground. And this underground would be a potential fount for insurrection against the tyrant, which is a threat that the tyrant must keep in mind if he decides to ban guns. Because banning guns won't magically make them disappear, they will just make it so you have to be a criminal to have them.
    mcdermott wrote: »

No, the "well-regulated militia" part has nothing to do with that. It's a statement of purpose, not a burden to be placed on ownership or a suggestion that such ownership should be regulated. But you're correct in that the 2nd doesn't prevent gun control; just that it's the vague definitions of "arms," "bear," and "infringed" that allow for this. That, and of course the whole "compelling public interest" factor.

EDIT: Sorry, I know there's another gun control thread. It's just that the mangling of that phrase, as well as the refusal by some to admit that there may be alternate interpretations of it, really gets annoying sometimes.

Fine. I've heard it argued other ways, but I don't take issue with your interpretation of it.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

The SCOTUS has been ignored before. Remember all of those Indian treaties?
    they wouldn't, because SCOTUS would be acting in concert with those other branches of government. Just with their own despotic flair. Rehnquist's gold stripes might make a comeback, for instance.

Tyrannical. American. Government.

ty·ran·ni·cal
    –adjective
    1. of or characteristic of a tyrant.
    2. unjustly cruel, harsh, or severe; arbitrary or oppressive; despotic: a tyrannical ruler.

What part of that meshes with other branches of government checking and balancing each other? Also, you proved that SCOTUS could simply become irrelevant and Congress and the Executive get to go buck wild destroying the checks and balances anyhow with the removal of judicial review.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

It's already been established the 2nd amendment does not mean that you cannot have any gun control. Just like the 1st amendment really doesn't protect free speach no matter the consequences. Stop being facetious.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

It's already been established the 2nd amendment does not mean that you cannot have any gun control. Just like the 1st amendment really doesn't protect free speach no matter the consequences. Stop being facetious.

established by whom?

also, I'm not being facetious. You might want to look up what that means.

What are the limits on the laws the congress can pass restricting people's rights to bear arms? They can limit specific weapons. They can limit it based on what weapons look like. They can limit it based on who the people are. They limit what can be done to the weapons after they are purchased. Did they get the stuff through that limited what they can fire? I forget.

I believe that the second is also used in state court cases, so... it is some ways applies to them. But there are plenty of state restrictions too...

so... how has it not already been interperted to the point of being meaningless?

redx on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm just finding it funny how people keep citing California.

You do realize we basically have Alabama II once you get far enough from the ocean, right?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I'm just finding it funny how people keep citing California.

You do realize we basically have Alabama II once you get far enough from the ocean, right?

True, but most of the laws are statewide, and driven by the coastal cities.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We're indoctrined to believe that it is impossible and essentially segregated in a way that prevents this. So, nope not going to happen without some excessive and drastic events.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So are there any examples of totalitarian states that allowed most of their population to own guns?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So are there any examples of totalitarian states that allowed most of their population to own guns?

Saddam.

moniker on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Most of Africa at various times too. Remember that probably about the majority of totalitarian states have a pretty decent state of public support, or at least apathy.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    If you think about it, arms can apply to shit like hacking software. It's really just the ability of the people to fight government in a conflict.
    I think this is a really really good point that should be brought up more often, especially in relation to things like the US government controls on the export of very secure encryption software and various attempts by law enforcement to require backdoor keys into encryption routines be built in.

Because all of a sudden that seems damned important to me in terms of the ability to oppose attempts subtle or unsubtle which lend themselves away from values I hold as a citizen. We live in a connected world, and our ability to be connected is a major factor in our inability to be controlled. The internet is a major mechanism in that it is essentially uncontrollable thus far and every attempt to control it has been heavily fought in the name of free speech, and it's quite true that in the interests of opposing a potentially tyrannical/oppressive government that access to essentially unbreakable cryptography would be much more vital then access to any amount of firepower - the ability to reach the people >> the ability to kill some of the people.

EDIT: Also, as I said in the OP - this thread wasn't supposed to start with an absurd notion of a tyrannical government, just pre-suppose that is the destination for the purposes of the discussion and then ask "how could this happen to us?" with the intent of discussing whether gun ownership is really the real fundamental issue or in fact, as I personally feel, a red herring which has conveniently allowed much greater moves against the freedom of citizens to be made.

I think Feral addressed this quite well.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    established by whom?

also, I'm not being facetious. You might want to look up what that means.

What are the limits on the laws the congress can pass restricting people's rights to bear arms? They can limit specific weapons. They can limit it based on what weapons look like. They can limit it based on who the people are. They limit what can be done to the weapons after they are purchased. Did they get the stuff through that limited what they can fire? I forget.

I believe that the second is also used in state court cases, so... it is some ways applies to them. But there are plenty of state restrictions too...

so... how has it not already been interperted to the point of being meaningless?

I'll ask you a counter question. Does Clear and Present Danger make the 1st Ammendment meaningless? I mean, it restricts what you can say based on the public interest. If it does not, where do you draw the line on what defines meaningless?
    I think this is a really really good point that should be brought up more often, especially in relation to things like the US government controls on the export of very secure encryption software and various attempts by law enforcement to require backdoor keys into encryption routines be built in.

Because all of a sudden that seems damned important to me in terms of the ability to oppose attempts subtle or unsubtle which lend themselves away from values I hold as a citizen. We live in a connected world, and our ability to be connected is a major factor in our inability to be controlled. The internet is a major mechanism in that it is essentially uncontrollable thus far and every attempt to control it has been heavily fought in the name of free speech, and it's quite true that in the interests of opposing a potentially tyrannical/oppressive government that access to essentially unbreakable cryptography would be much more vital then access to any amount of firepower - the ability to reach the people >> the ability to kill some of the people.

EDIT: Also, as I said in the OP - this thread wasn't supposed to start with an absurd notion of a tyrannical government, just pre-suppose that is the destination for the purposes of the discussion and then ask "how could this happen to us?" with the intent of discussing whether gun ownership is really the real fundamental issue or in fact, as I personally feel, a red herring which has conveniently allowed much greater moves against the freedom of citizens to be made.

I think Feral addressed this quite well.

Internet's all well and good, but if things go to shit I wouldn't rely on it being able to save us. What if we are hit with an EMP? What if the tyrant decides to institute North Korea style restrictions on it? What if our infrastructure degrades to the point we can't support it?

Communication is necessary for an effective resistence movement, but you need more than just that depending upon what you are resisting.

Savant on
  • Options
    RandomtaskRandomtask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I always wonder how many military men and women would actually open fire on American citizens.

I sure as hell wouldn't have, unless there was a DAMN good reason for it.

Randomtask on
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Randomtask wrote: »
    I always wonder how many military men and women would actually open fire on American citizens.

Nor would I. The Constitution came before the President and the officers above me in my oath.

The problem you run into is when soldiers are put into situations where they think they have to do so to defend themselves. Take Kent State. The soldiers in question really were at risk of injury, and had nothing but lethal means to defend themselves. So bad things happened. I could see that happening in other circumstances as well.

But as far as using soldiers to actually oppress the people, I think most would desert first.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Nor would I. The Constitution came before the President and the officers above me in my oath.

The problem you run into is when soldiers are put into situations where they think they have to do so to defend themselves. Take Kent State. The soldiers in question really were at risk of injury, and had nothing but lethal means to defend themselves. So bad things happened. I could see that happening in other circumstances as well.

But as far as using soldiers to actually oppress the people, I think most would desert first.

Well, you can use a lethal weapon like a rifle in a non-lethal manner. Take the bullets out and whack 'em with the stock.

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Well, you can use a lethal weapon like a rifle in a non-lethal manner. Take the bullets out and whack 'em with the stock.

Of course you can. But when people are lobbing heavy things at my face, I may or may not count on myself to think of that. Seriously, when put in a position where they have to defend themselves, some people are going to use what they consider to be the most effective means at hand. Which is why soldiers make bad peacekeepers/police.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Of course you can. But when people are lobbing heavy things at my face, I may or may not count on myself to think of that. Seriously, when put in a position where they have to defend themselves, some people are going to use what they consider to be the most effective means at hand. Which is why soldiers make bad peacekeepers/police.

Marines, on the other hand, would leap at the opportunity to toss their rifles aside and get into a good tussle. :lol:

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard