As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tam is a Silly [Chat]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    ...It creates Social Entropy.

heh.

tynic on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    beavotron wrote: »
    do this!
    classicalartonline.com
    it's small, you fill out the form, he emails you if he thinks the program is right for you, and talks to you about what the program will do for you in your chosen field.
    i'm starting in may
    he's also super nice, he looked through all my work and commented on the ones he liked :)
    it's $200 a month
    compared to my school, that is nothing
    and by the looks of it, i will learn more than my school can offer in a four year degree program.

he does it all personally though, so he only takes on so many people.
    i read about it on conceptart's forums, one of his students has a sweet thread.

Oohhhh thanks!

PROX on
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    do this!
    classicalartonline.com
    it's small, you fill out the form, he emails you if he thinks the program is right for you, and talks to you about what the program will do for you in your chosen field.
    i'm starting in may
    he's also super nice, he looked through all my work and commented on the ones he liked :)
    it's $200 a month
    and by the looks of it, i will learn more than my school can offer in a four year degree program.

he does it all personally though, so he only takes on so many people, it's first come first serve as far as i can tell.

Tempting, tempting, tempting. Does he a require a certain level of skill before he'll take you on? I can't afford classes this summer, and this might be a great alternative.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    do this!
    classicalartonline.com
    i'm starting in may
    it's $200 a month

he does it all personally though, so he only takes on so many people, it's first come first serve as far as i can tell.

I'm seriously considering this...I need to really work hard this summer.

F87 on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finished three paintings at work tonight. High fives everyone!

I wish I could keep up with the chat thread.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's just finish right? Not start and finish?

Mustang on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Keep in mind that guy works primarily sight-size as I understand it.

Super nice guy though. I have always wanted to see his actual atelier.

rts on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cakemikz wrote: »

what?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Being trained in Southern California I tend to question the strength of sight-size training for a production artist. But anything that teaches you to draw well will help.

rts on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Being trained in Southern California I tend to question the strength of sight-size training for a production artist. But anything that teaches you to draw well will help.

Educate me, what is sight size?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sight Size

To be honest, it looks like a very limited method.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    Sight Size

To be honest, it looks like a very limited method.

so its basically that stuff they teach you in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've never read it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its like that page you linked, but longer.

And on paper.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just want to know how Southern California relates to not liking sight-size. Is there like a posse down there whose again't it?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Southern California has a lot of schools that teach the Reilly Method instead of sight size for drawing from life. It is not very common in the rest of the country.

I should be clear though, it is only my understanding that Jonathan Hardesty trained in, and trains his students in sight-size drawing. There is probably a much greater scope to his training though. I just personally do not think sight size has a lot of practical application for production artists (concept art or illustration).

rts on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

naw only the first drawing and the first painting are sight size so you can get used to handling materials and such
    the rest are purely observational.

he talks about it on his website a bit
    (i agree that sight size doesn't do much for illustrators... fine artist maybe!)

beavotron on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sight size (and I'd group comparative with this) is beneficial if you want to learn to see accurately, from a measurement standpoint and work from life well. If you were going to a fine art type field, then sight size is ultimately more beneficial than it would be for illustration and other types of production work, in fact, its unpractical. The reilly method is taylor made for illustration, as thats what it was originally intended for, but I would not wanna learn it for things like fine art, as it just really isn't congruent imo.

When I think southern california(general statement as that can potentially group a lot of cities) for the most part I think of california impressionism and shit like that.. you'll find a small handful of guys pushing realism like the east coast guys.. but its not common at all unfortunately. You see a lot of saturated color, 'impressionistic' tile-type paintings out here.

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    if this works out, i'mma be pumped
    i've been all about looking into an atelier, i feel this is the perfect way to expose me to that without me having to move to friggen west coast usa.... the opposite side and corner of the continent from where i am now.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    do this!
    classicalartonline.com
    i'm starting in may
    it's $200 a month

Tempting, tempting, tempting. Does he a require a certain level of skill before he'll take you on? I can't afford classes this summer, and this might be a great alternative.

nope! you just show him your work, and he talks to you about your goals and what he can do for you based on your skill levels and where you want to go.
    with me for example, he said that he doesn't teach much for illustrators, but i'll get a solid foundation to work from, which is basically exactly what i'm expecting and want.
    and not at all what i'm getting from nscad
    (make some marks...fuck you nscad, fuck you and your pointless messy mark making.)

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Beavo - There are schools much closer to you, like Grand Central... but that is still quite a commitment.

Shizu - I think we agree on everything except people not pushing realism out here as much as on the East Coast being unfortunate. There is room for a lot of different artists, I don't think we all need to paint the same. Though, personally I do not care for the overly-dramatic look of a lot of the working coming from the east. It just feels so stale, emotionless and even false to me...which is in my opinion, a failure to capture realism.

rts on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    The good news: I finally got that computer I've been putting off buying for the last month and a half, which I needed to get at some point because I had some how destroyed my desktop, but wasn't a pressing issue because I could still use my laptop.

The bad news: The reason I got it today was because last night I seemingly also destroyed my laptop by accidentally knocking a glass of water right onto it, and I really needed to send a follow-up email for this interview, because in an attempt to pare down my physical portfolio to samples I felt were relevant to the position, I had as a consequence removed all the work that proved that I had, well, actually worked in video games before, and thus I needed to show them that I had images to prove that I wasn't lying through my teeth on my resume. D:

Also Windows 7 doesn't support my scanner.

Also what is all this shit in Windows 7, how do I get rid of the stupid "look at me I want to pretend to be a Mac" bar up at the top, why is all the shit in the "classic style" taskbar all disproportionate, stop trying to make me feel dumb for wanting a computer that looks like it's designed to compute rather than be all stylish and therefore bullshit.

OLD MAN GAR GAR GAR

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wait until you install your tablet drivers.

Mustang on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I forget, did the hard drive from your old computer get fried?

Tam on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shizu - I think we agree on everything except people not pushing realism out here as much as on the East Coast being unfortunate. There is room for a lot of different artists, I don't think we all need to paint the same. Though, personally I do not care for the overly-dramatic look of a lot of the working coming from the east. It just feels so stale, emotionless and even false to me...which is in my opinion, a failure to capture realism.

I think I'm just really on the wrong side of the country lol..

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tam wrote: »

No, thank God, all my old files are intact. It was the mobo that got fucked up.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So hold on, did you build this new computer (just moved the old hdd) or get it already assembled (new hdd and everything)? If it's the latter, couldn't you just hook up the old hard drive and wipe the new one and not have to deal with the new Windows 7 bullshit?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really hope you get that job Kevin. Will you be able to stick around longer if you do? Even if you can't take classes anymore, we may yet get you to come to the zoo or BBQs or something.

rts on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The second one, and yeah I guess I could have done that but I was kind of in a stress-fueled rush so shut up. I had to send an email, thinking doesn't happen when I need to email.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really hope you get that job Kevin. Will you be able to stick around longer if you do? Even if you can't take classes anymore, we may yet get you to come to the zoo or BBQs or something.

Thanks dude, I hope so too. If I do get it I'll be sticking around (it's pretty much the exact job Lucas used to do, as far as I understand). Hopefully I can do some weekend or evening classes.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The second one, and yeah I guess I could have done that but I was kind of in a stress-fueled rush so shut up. I had to send an email, thinking doesn't happen when I need to email.

you could still do it

after all, you need a working scanner, I assume

Tam on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My laptop won't start because it says I need to put in the Windows installation discs. I'm not sure I even have these anymore, and if I do they are very far away and I won't be able to get them for a long time. Is there any other way to get the equivalent of those discs? Something I can get mailed to me or download somewhere?

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    have you tried hitting F8 when it turns on and seeing if you can boot into safe mode from there?

edit: alternatively, if you have your installation key, you could borrow a friend's discs and try to boot up that way

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So hold on, did you build this new computer (just moved the old hdd) or get it already assembled (new hdd and everything)? If it's the latter, couldn't you just hook up the old hard drive and wipe the new one and not have to deal with the new Windows 7 bullshit?

Nope, your old OS intsall would have a driver shit fit if you did that. It simply wouldn't boot unless your going to an identical motherboard.
    Windows 7 is actually pretty good, it's just got some dicky things that take some getting used too.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

you could still do it

after all, you need a working scanner, I assume

True, but it seems so shitty to throw away what I've been told is "THE FUTURE!!!" for the sake of my shitty scanner which is maybe worth like, $10 these days.

Futurefy me, Futurecompy! All boldly go and shit.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Huh, okay, I was wrong anyway, as Mustang says. You should look around yard sales. Little old ladies apparently sell $100 scanners for $5.

edit: my Dad found a little old lady yard sale where there were two Benjamin scanners for Lincolns, but he only bought one

I know, cool story right

Tam on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    does anyone know anyone who is going/has gone to Emily Carr?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got my $100 scanner for eight bucks at the thrift store.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'D FORGOTTEN HOW SWEET DUAL MONITORS WERE. THIS IS FUCKING SWEET.

If you're wondering why I hadn't mentioned that before, it's because I hadn't dragged out a VGA cable so I hook up the second one yet.

Also I need to remember to eat, I haven't eaten since 8:30 this morning.

Also I need to get a PS/2 to USB adapter, this Dell quiet keyboard is bullshit compared to my awesome Model M monster. And no, that's not something where I want to go with THE FUTURE because THE FUTURE in this case is WEAK.

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.