As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP Jaime Escalante: Cal-cool-us Memorial Thread

firewaterwordfirewaterword SatchitanandaPais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
OB-HZ734_standa_D_20100331091129.jpg

I know you've all seen Stand and Deliver. And if you haven't, why not, damn it? It's a pretty quality movie! It's got a young Lou Diamond Philips! And Edward James Olmos!

What's calculus?

Anyway, Jaime Escalante, the East LA math teacher who inspired the movie, is dead today at 79 :(

So let's remember the dude. Or at least what the dude stood for! What awesome teachers do you credit for getting you interested in a subject you'd normally not give two shits about? Who inspired you to leave behind the cycle of inner city poverty and learn you some fucking calculus?

I'll post my teacher remembrances in a bit - I need more coffee first!

RIP Jaime!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
firewaterword on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "I killed the mailman. He's decomposing in my lockerrrrr!"

:cry:

KalTorak on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I've never been decent at math. In fact, if pressed, I would say I'm pretty piss poor at it! But English was always my saving grace. Fuck up the math portion of the test, but nail the wordy bits, that sort of thing.

I couldn't do anything more than basic math without strugglin' something fierce for a long time. Then I took an astronomy class to fill out a schedule hole or something in high school. I think I was a junior. Anyway!

The dude that taught this astronomy class was grade a-for-awesome. Textbook math/science mega geek in every proper way. But the guy was way into it, and made it really, really entertaining. Long story short, I ended up learning a great deal of really useful numbery stuff from him. You know, calculating how energy leaves stars at what rates, and red-shift and blue-shift and god knows what else.

And every year on Halloween, without fail, he would come dressed to the nines in his painfully realistic Star Trek uniform!

I ended up taking a physics class from him the next year (mostly because he was teaching it, but it helped that a friend bet me $100 that I couldn't ace the class, which I some how managed to).

So yeah, thanks Mr. Lee!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu