As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    People should be able to protest whatever the hell they want.

An organization cannot uphold democratic values such as free speech without practicing them itself.

Uh yes, yes in fact it can. Has been for some time now. That you think it should be otherwise is terribly naive. The military is not a democracy. It isn't supposed to be.

Quid on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quid wrote: »

An organization cannot uphold democratic values such as free speech without practicing them itself.

Uh yes, yes in fact it can. Has been for some time now. That you think it should be otherwise is terribly naive. The military is not a democracy. It isn't supposed to be.

By a show of hands, who wants to charge that heavily fortified machine gun nest? Okay, and who wants to stay here and play euchre?

moniker on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can we just move on? This argument is getting nowhere.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some might be interested to know that Dan Choi has appeared in uniform at other political events, speaking out against DADT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-eUfCA2gJo

I don't remember this debate happening before his arrest.

Hachface on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    moniker wrote: »

By a show of hands, who wants to charge that heavily fortified machine gun nest? Okay, and who wants to stay here and play euchre?

/euchre!

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Some might be interested to know that Dan Choi has appeared in uniform at other political events, speaking out against DADT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-eUfCA2gJo

I don't remember this debate happening before his arrest.

Sorry I haven't been following him for you. That's wrong too.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Protesting for better wages and living conditions sound like excellent occasions to be in uniform. Obviously I don't like the idea of anyone protesting against gay soldiers, but I can't say that the presence or absence of a uniform makes much of a difference to me.
    I imagine because you're not the one trying to control people that can now protest orders simply because they don't like them. And before you decide to confuse the issue, there's a massive difference between an order a person doesn't like and an unlawful order.
    This is nothing but special pleading.
    I'm sorry, would you care to point out the effective military that was also a democracy? And no, a corporation is not a democracy. It does, however, have to obey the rules of the democracy it's in. Even at the cost of going under.

The military isn't supposed to risk going under.

Quid on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ive always been told by friends who serve, and some are in fact still in the military that when you put on the uniform, you're "on the clock" so to speak. You become the face of a government entity. I think it's fair to say that protesting ANYTHING while in uniform is a bad idea.

For or against gays, religion, evil space monkeys or whatever. Yeah, it's fucked up that the people higher up can be open bigots. It doesn't mean it's okay for you to ignore regulations that are for better or worse, seated in a well intentioned portion of reality.

It's not fair, I agree entirely. I don't think there should be an open-hate policy on homosexuals who are willing to be shot at and die for a country and government that hasn't shown them much favor. I also think it probably rallied a lot of support for the cause with what he did.

It also probably angered quite a few people, it's divisive even if it's noble to try.

When you sign, you become property. It sucks, but it's the best way to think of it in a broader sense. There's a reason for it though.

edit: I'm also against cops or anyone else deciding to protest something in government uniform. I don't give a shit if you're in the postal service or a prison guard.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

Oddly, an organization where people are routinely ordered to place their lives in danger (or just plain lose them) doesn't mesh well with the Bill of Rights.

The difference is that they volunteered their lives when they joined. So it doesn't quite matter if someone actually orders them to die, at that point.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Except "the military" includes a lot of guys (a majority, by some counts) who are fine with him serving and support changing the policy. He disrespected their military (and them) as well.

Excuse me, but how does protesting equate to disrespect, exactly?

How does one disrespect his fellow soldiers when he protests for better wages, better housing, and generally better treatment, not just for himself but also for his fellow soldiers?

He's putting himself on the line for it, opening himself to possible punishment from the higher ups. There isn't anything disrespectful about that.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Except "the military" includes a lot of guys (a majority, by some counts) who are fine with him serving and support changing the policy. He disrespected their military (and them) as well.

How does one disrespect his fellow soldiers when he protests for better wages, better housing, and generally better treatment, not just for himself but also for his fellow soldiers?

He's putting himself on the line for it, opening himself to possible punishment from the higher ups. There isn't anything disrespectful about that.

There is as soon as you do it in uniform.

edit: Think of it like this,

What if he was in the honor guard and wore his uniform?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The military is not a democracy. It's not an open forum for people to express there wants and and dislikes. Especially when what someone may be protesting may very well be wrong.

Quid on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Oddly, an organization where people are routinely ordered to place their lives in danger (or just plain lose them) doesn't mesh well with the Bill of Rights.

The difference is that they volunteered their lives when they joined. So it doesn't quite matter if someone actually orders them to die, at that point.

Political speech is one of those rights you give up when you sign on the dotted line, as well. You volunteer to undergo certain restrictions in your rights, and that is put forth when you sign. One of the first rules you are taught is no political activity while in uniform. The UCMJ is very cut-and-dried on that point. I don't know why it is so hard to comprehend.

wallaka on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

Uh yes, yes in fact it can. Has been for some time now. That you think it should be otherwise is terribly naive.

I'm pretty sure the American military does not protect said values. It forces them on other countries. And the only values it has forced on other countries since WWII are capitalism and imperialism.

If you disagree, point out one instance in the last 50 years where American "freedoms" were in danger and the military intervened to uphold them.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wallaka wrote: »

Political speech is one of those rights you give up when you sign on the dotted line, as well. You volunteer to undergo certain restrictions in your rights, and that is put forth when you sign. One of the first rules you are taught is no political activity while in uniform. The UCMJ is very cut-and-dried on that point. I don't know why it is so hard to comprehend.

Um, just because you sign a paper does not make it legal?

You can sign a paper saying you are now my slave, but if you do that I'm pretty sure we're both going to get into trouble because slavery is illegal.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Uh yes, yes in fact it can. Has been for some time now. That you think it should be otherwise is terribly naive.

I'm pretty sure the American military does not protect said values. It forces them on other countries. And the only values it has forced on other countries since WWII are capitalism and imperialism.

If you disagree, point out one instance in the last 50 years where American "freedoms" were in danger and the military intervened to uphold them.

The tangent is already barely related to the thread. If you want to make a thread about the evils of the U.S. military feel free.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

You can sign a paper saying you are now my slave, but if you do that I'm pretty sure we're both going to get into trouble because slavery is illegal.

Indeed, there's quite a bit of latitude the military receives that private entities don't. Of course, they're also held to much higher standards and scrutiny.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Indeed, there's quite a bit of latitude the military receives that private entities don't. Of course, they're also held to much higher standards and scrutiny.

Much higher standards like hating gays, you mean. :P

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The tangent is already barely related to the thread. If you want to make a thread about the evils of the U.S. military feel free.

I don't mean to imply that the US military is evil. I'm just saying it doesn't uphold the values you think it does.

I assume you're a service member?

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Right, you're not really intending to have an honest discussion here. You have fun talking to others.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Right, you're not really intending to have an honest discussion here. You have fun talking to others.

No, I just find your delusion amusing.

The military isn't held to "much higher standards and scrutiny". It's actually pretty amazing that you think that way, because the military is absolutely notorious for the whole "what happens in the military stays in the military" mindset where it is strongly discouraged to talk about the fucked up shit that goes in there and no amount of scrutiny has been able to break through some barriers.

For example.

Same holds true for "higher standards". An example of this is collateral damage. When civilians cause collateral damage, they are tried in court. When the military causes collateral damage, "it's war". Same holds true for accidental killings of bystandards, which would be tried as manslaughter in civilian courts.

No, mate. If anything, the US military is given amazing amounts of leeway and is held to much lower standards and scrutiny than the civilian population.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

If the government says it's legal, it is. That's how the law works. You can't have a beard while in the military either. Grow a beard, you deal with the consequences, same as protesting in uniform.

wallaka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    And don't try to squeeze away from the conversation by saying this is not the subject of this debate. Because if you're operating from a position where your core belief is that the military subscribes to higher standards, then you're automatically wrong. The entire military culture is one of extreme fraternalism and violence. No higher standards can be bred and upheld in such a culture.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If the government says it's legal, it is. That's how the law works.

Thirteenth Amendment:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

So they would have to overturn this. Good luck with that. :)
    You can't have a beard while in the military either. Grow a beard, you deal with the consequences

Somehow I don't think not being able to grow a beard is the equivalent of not being able to protest for better, more respectful treatment.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone a while back said something along the lines of "well, he took an oath to respect the military, so he can't do certain things while in uniform".

Which is, frankly, a huge crock of shit.

You can't expect people to respect an organization that does not respect them back. If the military hates gays so much, maybe it doesn't deserve their respect, hmm?
    So are you okay with people wearing military uniform protesting homosexuals serving openly? How about open protest in uniform for better wages? Improved living conditions? Better food? Where does it become not okay to protest military policy in uniform?

And Choi was perfectly free to protest whatever the hell he wanted, just not as a representative of the US Army. Do you get the distinction? We're not saying Choi was wrong to protest, we're saying he was wrong to protest in uniform, because while wearing it he is the US army and is making a political statement for the army, not for himself.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doing something as an act of protest does not relieve you of suffering the consequences for it. If you protest the drinking age by getting drunk at 18, you're still consuming as a minor. If you protest a new law by putting a brick through your representative's window, you're still a vandal. If you protest DADT by actively coming out while you're in uniform, you're still violating the law even if you feel that it isn't valid.

"Act of protest" isn't a panacea against prosecution.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Doing something as an act of protest does not relieve you of suffering the consequences for it. If you protest the drinking age by getting drunk at 18, you're still consuming as a minor. If you protest a new law by putting a brick through your representative's window, you're still a vandal. If you protest DADT by actively coming out while you're in uniform, you're still violating the law even if you feel that it isn't valid.

Would it be different if he wasn't in uniform, but still made it clear that he was a service member?

No, I don't think it would. The reasons for punishing him are more than just the symbolism of wearing a uniform while protesting.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Would it be different if he wasn't in uniform, but still made it clear that he was a service member?

No, I don't think it would. The reasons for punishing him are more than just the symbolism of wearing a uniform while protesting.
    Actively and publicly coming out of the closet as a member of the united states military is grounds for immediate discharge under DADT, whether you're uniformed at the time or not.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fuck whether his actions reflected well on the military. That's not why we don't let people dress in uniform engage in political activity such as campaigning for office (for yourself or other people) or protesting. The military must be apolitical and subservient to civilian office, not a faction vying for political power.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Actively and publicly coming out of the closet as a member of the united states military is grounds for immediate discharge under DADT, whether you're uniformed at the time or not.

Exactly, that's what I thought.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Fuck whether his actions reflected well on the military. That's not why we don't let people dress in uniform engage in political activity such as campaigning for office (for yourself or other people) or protesting. The military must be apolitical and subservient to civilian office, not a faction vying for political power.
    Anything less and we're a banana republic.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A Three Star General urged service members to write to their reps asking them to fight the repeal. He's not being punished.

This in an interesting tidbit:
    McHugh said he has talked with some gay soldiers already about the policy. He said the troops wouldn't be discharged for revealing their sexual orientation in those discussions, even though doing so technically violates the law.

Isn't this kind of the same as what Choi did? I mean this guy is completely disregarding the law, stupid though that law is.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And don't try to squeeze away from the conversation by saying this is not the subject of this debate. Because if you're operating from a position where your core belief is that the military subscribes to higher standards, then you're automatically wrong. The entire military culture is one of extreme fraternalism and violence. No higher standards can be bred and upheld in such a culture.

haha oh wow...

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »

haha oh wow...

Yea, what you're saying has no relevance to this thread protein.

rational vash on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

But he is obviously not making a political statement on behalf of the military, seeing as he is obviously making a political statement against the military. That's why I say his actions may violate te letter of the law, but not the spirit of it.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

haha oh wow...

On the contrary, it is very relevant, because the military's hatred of gays is a direct result of what I bolded above.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

haha oh wow...

On the contrary, it is very relevant, because the military's hatred of gays is a direct result of what I bolded above.

haha you rule dude.
    That's like saying ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS!!!!!1111
    Stay classy guy.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

haha oh wow...

haha you rule dude.
    Stay classy guy.

Nice Godwin.

Stay dumb, guy.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's...that's not Godwin.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010

haha oh wow...

haha you rule dude.
    Stay classy guy.

Nice Godwin.

Stay dumb, guy.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg