As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thoughts On Grapple Buggy?

Patrick RipollPatrick Ripoll Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
Blaster Master is one of my favorite games of all time, and this game looks like an amazing physics-driven successor to the BM throne*. I checked the developer's site and was delighted to find out that a playable preview was available at PAX East.

Did any of you get a chance to play it, and if so, what were your thoughts?

*Note to self: Don't call it BM.

EDIT: Wow, re-reading this thread, it feels an awful lot like a plant or a shill. I just wanted to assure you that I have no affiliation with Mommy's Best Games (in fact, I think it's just a guy and his wife) and that this is coming purely from a place of curiosity, not commerce.

Patrick Ripoll on

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Really neat game. I spent some time in their booth at PAX and was super impressed. They said they were looking to add stuff/jump through hoops to get it into the XBLA instead of the Indie Games section.

I played Shoot1UP there too - that was really fun.
    The conversation was:
    Them "So will you be buying it?"
    Me "How much is it?"
    Them "80 points"
    Me "Sure"

I was true to my word - grabbed it on Monday and played it for over an hour.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Mike TooleMike Toole Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had the same experience as Lindsey Lohan. Really liked Grapple Buggy, actually-- it was less like Blaster Master and more like a crazy cross between Moon Patrol and Bionic Commando, IMO. Still rough around the edges, but when it's polished up and released it'll be a must-have.

I also got Shoot1UP from Indie Games as soon as I got home, and recommend that everyone get it. It's only a dollar and it's a lot of fun.

Mike Toole on
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had the pleasure of interviewing Nathan (1/2 of Mommy's Best Games) and he told me pretty much the same thing as LL above already said. He was like "I wish I had some extra codes that I could give you..." I asked how much it was, he said $1, and I was like "Its less than the cost of my breakfast. I really don't mind buying it to review it. Besides, I played it and loved it, and want to make sure you can finish Grapple Buggy so I can play that."

So yea, GB was great and so is the company making it :D

atiari on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It actually reminded me a bit of the levels in Mario Galaxy where you use the Wiimote pointer to whip Mario from star to star.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't get to play Grapple Buggy but I did spend time playing Shoot1Up with Stifin, and even got to lose the high score contest. I'm usually not a big fan of top down shooters like that but it was pretty fun, and at $1 I'll definitely get it to have some couch co-op options for when friends come over.

Jerkfish on
  • Options
    Patrick RipollPatrick Ripoll Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Excellent. Thanks! Excitement level-up!

Patrick Ripoll on
  • Options
    LordDaxLordDax Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Grapple Buggy is on my must have list. It was the only game I played multiple times at PAX simply because its just so much fun swinging thru the air in what looks like SOPHIA's offspring. I can't wait to play this and hope they keep creating just as fun titles.

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
    WoW - US Quel'Dorie - Daxius DwPr(Disc/Shadow) 80
    Give Back to those who serve us Become a Black Pie Day Pieoneer!
  • Options
    vadthrawnvadthrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had the pleasure of meeting Nathan and Amy (The husband and wife team of Mommy's Best Games) on my way to PAX from the Louisville airport. We talked throughout the trip and I was impressed with their knowledge and enthusiasm for their games. I am very impressed with the look and feel of their games. I hope they continue to push out great products in the future and I look forward to Grapple Buggy!

vadthrawn on
This discussion has been closed.