As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I hate this laptop [fan issues]

JokermanJokerman EverythingEverywhereRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have an HP Pavilon DV7 that was always running hot,
so I decided to get a can of compressed air and go to town on it. I removed the battery, unplugged the cord, and held down the power button for a few seconds. Then I cleaned out the heat sink, the fan, and cleaned out any port or vent I can find.

Power it up and it's running cooler. So cool, the fans not clicking on. Oh wait, now the fan wont work at all.
And every so often, my speakers let out an Audible pop.

I didnt do anything crazy to my laptop, what on gods earth cause my fan to shit the bed? can I easily replace it?

Jokerman on

• Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You've got to be careful when using compressed air on laptop fans, because they can spin far faster than they should, and in extreme cases, stop working because of it. Sounds like this may be the case. It's best to insert something to hold the fan, or to spray in short bursts to keep this from happening.

As for your fan, if you can manage to find the part online (there should be an hp replacement part number on the fan, after you've opened up the laptop), and a guide for properly opening the laptop case, you can try to replace it yourself. The difficulty is based entirely on how comfortable you are with screwing around inside your laptop.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    runethomasrunethomas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    So I have an HP Pavilon DV7 that was always running hot,
    so I decided to get a can of compressed air and go to town on it. I removed the battery, unplugged the cord, and held down the power button for a few seconds. Then I cleaned out the heat sink, the fan, and cleaned out any port or vent I can find.

Power it up and it's running cooler. So cool, the fans not clicking on. Oh wait, now the fan wont work at all.
    And every so often, my speakers let out an Audible pop.

I didnt do anything crazy to my laptop, what on gods earth cause my fan to shit the bed? can I easily replace it?

I don't know what laptop you specifically have but your best bet (if its not under warrenty) would be to find a part online and replace it yourself if you think you can pull it apart and put it back together.
    something like this is not all that expensive
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-dv7-2000-Intel-CPU-Fan-Heatsink-516876-001_W0QQitemZ200432776986QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eaab9771a
    Just make completely sure the part matches your make and model, I.E. intel CPU/ AMD CPU.

The heatshink/fan is usually all the way down to the systemboard, but if you take your time and make sure to remember where what screw goes where you should be fine. A trick is to put a white sheet of paper down on a desk and put the screws head down on the paper exactally where you removed them will give you a map on what goes where. Use a pen to label different levels of screws.
    Oh and you will need a set of small precision screwdrivers, and I believe HP's use a T8 torque screw as well.

If you bring this to a computer shop they may charge you anywhere from $100-$200 depending on parts and labor.

This may help, page 45-165 starts the removal and replacement procedures.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/24976174/HP-Pavilion-Dv7-Service-Manual

As for the audio, I'm not sure what the problem is there most likely they are not related.

runethomas on