As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ebert is an idiot

merkvahmerkvah Registered User new member
edited April 2010 in Artist's Corner
And here's why:
Santiago now phrases this in her terms: "Art is a way of communicating ideas to an audience in a way that the audience finds engaging." Yet what ideas are contained in Stravinsky, Picasso, "Night of the Hunter," "Persona," "Waiting for Godot," "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock?" Oh, you can perform an exegesis or a paraphrase, but then you are creating your own art object from the materials at hand.

Here he is essentially saying "I myself cannot understand what message might possibly be contained in the works of these great masters, or in these great poems, therefore there is none." Yet any of us who did ANYTHING in college other than watch movies understand that these pieces and artists are of profound artistic significance. By citing these great artists and works of art as idea-less (read: meaningless) he disqualifies himself from being allowed to make ANY future comments on what is or is not art, and thereby making his "Video games can never be art" statement invalid.

ergo: Ebert = Idiot.

merkvah on

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This would be great for the Discussion Thread. New threads without art are generally frowned upon, however, the Question, Discussion, Tutorial thread is perfect for this type of post.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody around to hear it, does it make a sound? It's not really a question of if there is a physical sound, but more how can things exist when there is nobody around to acknwledge its existance. If you think he sees nothing in these works, then that's the reality he lives in.

You can't force anyone to acknwoledge the existance of a tree, so just live happy.

Also, read the rules of the forum.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    merkvahmerkvah Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Sorry. I looked for a while trying to find where this should be posted. I figured that since it dealt directly with the definition of Art, this was a good place. My apoligies.

merkvah on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No harm no foul. However, since this seems to be a set up for a discussion you might want to try Debate and Discourse

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
This discussion has been closed.