As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 7: ITT JustinSane is undisputably bad at Undisputed

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »
    Yushin Okami looked awesome in his last fight

By far the best asian fighter in MMA currently (with the least press)
    Sexyama =(

(Stun Gun Kim? Haha)

The Korean Zombie (Chansung Jung) is also fighting on the WEC card this weekend. His only MMA loss so far is to Kanehara (#9 Featherweight according to Sherdog) and he beat Omigawa (#6 Featherweight) a couple years ago. He has a tough fight against Leonard Garcia so it's too early to say how he'll do in the US, but I'm definitely rooting for him.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Plus his fight nickname is cool. Why do they call him that? Is it because he can't be finished and keeps coming at his opponent?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Look, it's like college basketball; if a top ranked team loses a game they drop in the rankings regardless of how good they actually are.

And is that a good thing?

You're making a convincing argument for the status quo. You're just not making a convincing argument that the status quo is a good thing.

Since you're going to ignore most of my argument and intentionally be obtuse about the parts you quote, let's turn it around: I'm not seeing that there's much to your argument beyond "BJ Penn is the best lightweight in the world and should always be champion!" Is there more to it?

Also, it would be much more interesting to me to see Penn fight Gray and KF fight Edgar, and the winner of each fight. Fights we haven't seen recently > fights we just saw.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Shields vs Fitch is going to be awesome.

I think you just gave me a nightmare.

The MMA channel in the sports bars in hell plays nothing but a rotating four man tournament featuring Jake Shields, Jon Fitch, Gray Maynard, and Yushin Okami all fighting at 170.

I'd be in favor of Sylvia being dieted down to 170 over Shields I think, or maybe Fitch. Pretty sure he could outbore them.

I guess the HW version would be Sylvia, Vera, Coleman and another person who likes to fight slowly in a boring manner.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Look, it's like college basketball; if a top ranked team loses a game they drop in the rankings regardless of how good they actually are.

You're making a convincing argument for the status quo. You're just not making a convincing argument that the status quo is a good thing.

If someone who's #1 loses to #2, they can't be #1 anymore. It's you know...math.

If I flip a coin twice and it comes up tails both times, that math tells me that flipping a coin results in tails 100% of the time.

edit: My point, to be clear, is that it's rarely a good idea to base things on very limited data.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Since you're going to ignore most of my argument and intentionally be obtuse about the parts you quote, let's turn it around: I'm not seeing that there's much to your argument beyond "BJ Penn is the best lightweight in the world and should always be champion!" Is there more to it?

My argument, which I've been very clear about, is that BJ Penn is unquestionably the best LW in the world and should get an instant rematch because that razor-close decision convinced no one that Frankie Edgar is better than him.

You've repeatedly replied with essentially, "but that's not how the system works". I don't care. I'm not beholden to tradition for the sake of it.

I just don't think it's a good thing for the world's best LW to be fighting tune-up fights while guys everyone considers worse than him fight for the title. Any system where that happens is a bad system.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

My argument, which I've been very clear about, is that BJ Penn is unquestionably the best LW in the world and should get an instant rematch because that razor-close decision convinced no one that Frankie Edgar is better than him.

You've repeatedly replied with essentially, "but that's not how the system works". I don't care. I'm not beholden to tradition for the sake of it.

I just don't think it's a good thing for the world's best LW to be fighting tune-up fights while guys everyone considers worse than him fight for the title. Any system where that happens is a bad system.

No it isn't. You just don't agree that such a system isn't bad.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I think Frankie Edgar was better than him that night. I think BJ Penn is certainly better overall, but I think Edgar has the potential to do great things if given time.

I think he should certainly get a rematch, but not an instant one.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

To me, the ideal goal is for the title to be around the waist of the best fighter in that division for as long as possible. Any system that gets in the way of that, yeah, I'm not gonna agree that such a system isn't bad.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The problem with BJ working his way back up to a title fight is that it involves him beating the same people again only now the fights are less important, having BJ fight Maynard is a bad idea right now because they're the two major contenders and having them cancel each other out is a head ache for Joe Silva.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

To me, the ideal goal is for the title to be around the waist of the best fighter in that division for as long as possible. Any system that gets in the way of that, yeah, I'm not gonna agree that such a system isn't bad.

So obviously the champ lost and there is a 9-0 contender who has beaten the new champ. he'd be the most obvious choice right?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Moving onto a different topic, Sherdog's latest rankings have Aoki at #4.

Did they watch his last fight?

Does anyone think he reliably beats Florian, Maynard, Sherk, or Griffin? It's incredible that Aoki would continue to be incredibly overrated after getting totally exposed.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    edit: Nevermind. Let's just agree to disagree. Some people think Penn should get an immediate rematch, some don't.

I'd rather talk about something else. Like how terrible Sherdog is. They've got Dan Hardy ranked as the 4th best WW in the world. I'm pretty sure they're no longer actually watching fights.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Does anyone think he reliably beats Florian, Maynard, Sherk, or Griffin? It's incredible that Aoki would continue to be incredibly overrated after getting totally exposed.

Agreed. Sherk would be the only questionable in my mind, just b/c he fights so stupidly sometimes instead of sticking to his strong points, but yea, I don't see him beating the other guys.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Agreed. Sherk would be the only questionable in my mind, just b/c he fights so stupidly sometimes instead of sticking to his strong points, but yea, I don't see him beating the other guys.

The thing about Sherk is him fighting away from his strengths would be great against Aoki. His problem is he likes to believe his boxing is more effective than it is. That's why the only guys that have beat him lately have been better boxers (Edgar & Penn). Aoki is not a better boxer. Sherk/Aoki would look a lot like Melendez/Aoki.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The thing about Sherk is him fighting away from his strengths would be great against Aoki. His problem is he likes to believe his boxing is more effective than it is. That's why the only guys that have beat him lately have been better boxers (Edgar & Penn). Aoki is not a better boxer. Sherk/Aoki would look a lot like Melendez/Aoki.

I get so confused with sherk... maybe against edgar I can see trying to box, but fighting the top guy in your class, wouldn't you rely on your strengths?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I get so confused with sherk... maybe against edgar I can see trying to box, but fighting the top guy in your class, wouldn't you rely on your strengths?
    You're forgetting that Sherk is a roided up moron.

815165 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Has Sherdog ever detailed their ranking criteria? They could be using a tennis-type system, where accomplishments count more "I think Fighter X would beat Fighter Y." I remember some talk about how at one point they were going to drop both Lesnar and Fedor out of the rankings, based on inactivity.

Sherk is 1-2 over the last 2 years, Aoki is 9-2 (at LW). Aoki's busy schedule is probably getting him a softer landing.

On a related note, they still have Dan Henderson at #5 for MW. The Hendo that showed up Saturday isn't better than Maia or Belfort.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    edit: Nevermind. Let's just agree to disagree. Some people think Penn should get an immediate rematch, some don't.

I'd rather talk about something else. Like how terrible Sherdog is. They've got Dan Hardy ranked as the 4th best WW in the world. I'm pretty sure they're no longer actually watching fights.

I swing from Hardys nuts like Tarzan and even I don't get that at all, right now I would put him about 7th max in the UFC alone.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Yushin Okami looked awesome in his last fight

By far the best asian fighter in MMA currently (with the least press)
    Sexyama =(

(Stun Gun Kim? Haha)

Stun Gun is interesting for sure. Though he is only 3-1 in the UFC while Okami is 8-2. Yushin seems to always have had issues pulling the trigger but in his last fight he came out blazing and blasted his opponent, so I hope we'll see a more aggressive Yushin Okami now. That is a pretty dangerous opponent for anyone.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

Has Sherdog ever detailed their ranking criteria? They could be using a tennis-type system, where accomplishments count more "I think Fighter X would beat Fighter Y." I remember some talk about how at one point they were going to drop both Lesnar and Fedor out of the rankings, based on inactivity.

Sherk is 1-2 over the last 2 years, Aoki is 9-2 (at LW). Aoki's busy schedule is probably getting him a softer landing.

On a related note, they still have Dan Henderson at #5 for MW. The Hendo that showed up Saturday isn't better than Maia or Belfort.

I think Sherdog doesn't want it to seem like they have no idea what they're doing. If you put Aoki from #2 to number #7 it seems like they have absolutely no idea how to rank (which they obviously don't). I don't really blame Sherdog for having no idea, if fighters fight in different organizations you have to make generalizations on how they would fight against each other so it's hard to make overall MMA rankings.

I don't think Hendo should be in the top 10. I know that's subjetive since he almost won the fight in the first round. I'd really like to see Mayhem vs. Hendo (of course I'm a big Mayhem fan) with the winner fighting Shields again (if Shields is still with Stirkeforce)

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The thing about ranking systems is that they either going to be imperfect "objective" measurements of some kind, or they are going to have some sort of subjectivity, giving people plenty of room to argue about who should be where. You have arguments about freaking golf rankings, where these guys don't even technically play each other, and are playing in (as much as can be reasonably expected) the exact same conditions. In MMA no ranking system is going to be perfect, especially when fighters rarely fight, don't fight every single possible opponent (at the same points in their careers), fight under different rules, have such varying skillsets, and when you're dealing with such small sample sizes across the board. There's such a huge swath of subjectivity going into it that I think arguing about any system per se is sort of a waste of time, particularly when that system has little-to-no bearing on what fights are actually going to occur.

Frankly, having someone drop five ranks in the standings after one fight isn't really that big of a deal to me. What did people think of Shogun after his first fight in the UFC? You're always working on old information, and the old information is of such poor quality that you never really know where you stand at any given moment in time.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure BubbaT hit the nail on the head and they're basing it on accomplishments, probably in an effort to stay "objective." If they said that their rankings were based on each writer's opinion of who would beat who than they'd have no shot at saying they're unbiased, even if that kind of system could produce better real rankings.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

But that would be at odds with having Hardy at #4. Paulo Thiago beat Hardy's best win much more impressively, and Thiago also knocked out Josh Koscheck.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Pfft, Sherdog uses the BCS.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been thinking a lot about tournament style events. I'd like to see them come back to popular MMA. Certainly, no fighter should fight more than one fight per event and with injury rates being what they are, tournaments may well be too risky, but I feel they would create tension, excitement and clear achievable goals for fighters. I think it might also endear fighters more to the public. We get to watch and root for them as they make their way towards the big fight.

I'd certainly rather watch an elimination tournament than a season of TUF.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Funny thought. If you think Fighter X could beat everyone in the division, then wouldn't that be a legitimate reason to place Fighter X as #1? And if you think Fighter A could beat everyone except Fighter X, wouldn't that make him #2?

What if you had Fighter X as #1, but then Fighter B could beat Fighter X, except he can't beat Fighters M and N. But Fighters M can beat everyone except Fighter X and Fighter J. And Fighter N can beat everyone except Fighter X and Fighter T.

At which point does Hulk Hogan show up and let Hulkamania run wild on all their asses?

I rest my case.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

But that would be at odds with having Hardy at #4. Paulo Thiago beat Hardy's best win much more impressively, and Thiago also knocked out Josh Koscheck.

I don't think they take into account how the fight was won, otherwise Fitch wouldn't be top 10 let alone 2.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fitch has won a lot of fights impressively

Maybe not in an entertaining way, however

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Dan beat Swick impressivley, he just didn't finish, as someone said Paulo finishing him was a greater feat

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

What I don't get about Fitch is does he really just not care? I mean he has to know what people say about him and he also has to know how it's affecting his career; he'd get better press and fights if he just glammed his game up some. Once your control of position is that dominant is it really that hard to add strikes (real, damaging strikes, not just scoring ones) or to go for subs once in a while? He's got some wins by submission and if I remember right he's got a decent jits belt, so why doesn't he go for it? Or am I being unfair?

Peen on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We should make our own rankings... as well as finish redefining the perfect fighter.

Also, TUF is tonight. Let's see if Ortiz is still on the unlucky streak.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

What I don't get about Fitch is does he really just not care? I mean he has to know what people say about him and he also has to know how it's affecting his career; he'd get better press and fights if he just glammed his game up some. Once your control of position is that dominant is it really that hard to add strikes (real, damaging strikes, not just scoring ones) or to go for subs once in a while? He's got some wins by submission and if I remember right he's got a decent jits belt, so why doesn't he go for it? Or am I being unfair?

I don't think you're being unfair at all. I've seen some interviews with Fitch and I like him, but I have c couple of problems with his fighting career.

1. I hate that AKA teammates won't fight each other. When you have 3 guys near the top of a weight class (well, 2...Swick's not really there anymore) and they refuse to fight each other, it's going to annoy fight fans. I realize you guys are a teammates, brothers, etc. but a lot of guys who train together and consider each other friends have fought in the past. Your team is not special somehow, especially when you're kind of roadblocking an entire weight class.

2. I hate his fight style. He's the Kenny Florian of the WW division. He can literally beat anyone except for GSP. The only difference between him and Kenny is that he apparently can't finish a fight to save his life. He's had 12 wins in the UFC and all but 4 have been decision wins. I mean...yikes. The guy has earned his reputation as a boring fighter. The problem I have is that the man is so skilled that he can utterly dominate everyone he faces, but that he doesn't finish. He could finish. I know he could. But he doesn't. I don't know why.

Really, how boring do you have to be that it takes you 7 straight wins in a division before you get your first title shot? Because that was Jon Fitch before he got GSP. And now he's on a 4 fight decision streak and he's certainly not being talked about for the next fight. That honor is for Koscheck or Daley, who are more dynamic and more exciting as fighters. Frankly, I don't blame Dana for not giving him a shot. I'm getting to the point where I'm placing Fitch not finishing people on the same level as Silva dancing around instead of beating his opponent. Both guys have the skills to beat their opponents, but they're not. It's annoying to watch someone completely ignore their skills and potential in lieu of being safe and boring.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We should make our own rankings... as well as finish redefining the perfect fighter.

Previews make it look like
    Tito's guy gets DQed for illegally spiking his opponent, so i guess yes.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Previews make it look like
    Tito's guy gets DQed for illegally spiking his opponent, so i guess yes.

That's what it looked like to me, too. Guess we'll find out this evening. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Melendez said he wants to fight Bellator champ Eddie Alvarez, probably on New Year's Eve. Maybe after that he'll go to UFC and essentially unify the division.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    How is he going to fight Alvarez when they're in different organizations?

Also, I'm not sure on this one but aren't CBS and Fox rivals when it comes to TV?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    How is he going to fight Alvarez when they're in different organizations?

Also, I'm not sure on this one but aren't CBS and Fox rivals when it comes to TV?

Bellator's not an exclusive promoter. Alvarez also fights in Dream, he fought at Dream 12 last year, defeating Katsunori Kikuno, after winning Bellator's LW tournament. Assuming SF still has their deal with Dream by New Year's, Melendez heading to Japan for Dynamite! 2010 (I assume that's what's meant by NYE) is feasible.

This is all assuming Alvarez repeats at Bellator champ, of course.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, I had no idea Alvarez fought in Japan after signing with Bellator. In that case, yeah, it would be a fight I'd have some interest in. Aside from the few loose ends floating around in Japan, it'd be great to see Melendez in the UFC.

Its getting pretty close to a done deal that Shields is headed to the UFC.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Hmm, I had no idea Alvarez fought in Japan after signing with Bellator. In that case, yeah, it would be a fight I'd have some interest in. Aside from the few loose ends floating around in Japan, it'd be great to see Melendez in the UFC.

Its getting pretty close to a done deal that Shields is headed to the UFC.

And then Dan Henderson and Mayhem fight for the vacant title, right?

Shows how deep Strikeforce's roster is. :D

ChillyWilly on