As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Agon - prove the glory of your name!

VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Critical Failures
I just got hold of Agon (http://www.agon-rpg.com/). And it looks very interesting -- the PC's are Greek heroes and therefore very competitive -- in fact, trying to show up the other guys is a major point of the game. Wanton slaughter is another major point; 300 would be easy to set up in this sucker.

Agon is sort af D&D-ish, high on steroids and balls, but light on rules and other distractions. I can't wait to try it out with my kill-crazy D&D-worshipping friends!

(From the official website) "AGON is a competitive RPG set in a fantastic version of ancient Greece similar to that of the Illiad and the Odyssey. The heroes work together against the enemies and obstacles created by the Antagonist, but the players compete to win the most glory for their heroes.The player who earns the most glory wins the game.

AGON features a fast and intuitive battle system in which the players hold dice in their right and left hands to represent the weapons and defenses of their heroes. When the hero swings a sword, the player rolls her right hand dice. When the hero deflects a blow with her shield, the left hand dice are rolled. The battle system can also be used for other types of conflict, including chases, wrestling matches, and even non-physical battles like a duel of wits, in which the heroes fight with Insight and Spirit as their "weapons."

AGON supports short-form play (1 to 5 sessions) as well as long-term campaign play."

PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
VacuumJockey on

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Noone up for some slaughter, Greek-style? Damn...

VacuumJockey on

~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    AGON features a fast and intuitive battle system in which the players hold dice in their right and left hands to represent the weapons and defenses of their heroes.

hahaha. That is hilarious. And seriously, how do you roll with your left hand?

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V2-GundamV2-Gundam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I suppose the same as you roll with your right hand, just ackwardly.

But what if your left handed?

V2-Gundam on
    Stand Up To the Victory!
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm left handed, and I roll equally well with both. I guess since most implements are right-handed (scissors, potato peelers) I've just grown to use my right a lot too.

This looks pretty interesting.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It looks like a lot of fun (if only because I'm a total Greek Myth geek), but doesn't seem like it would translate well to online play.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i looked at the initial rules. this stuff looks crazy, but neat. i would be down for playing this online.

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Would it be play by post, or IRC-style? I don't know which would be more appropriate, but I think I'd be more down for PbP.

I bought the PDF based only on this thread and reading the demo. That's how much of a hard-on I have for this thing. It's not even the setting, it's the whole idea of a blatantly competitive RPG. :)

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Jacoby wrote: »
    Would it be play by post, or IRC-style? I don't know which would be more appropriate, but I think I'd be more down for PbP.
    The tactical element -- the range bands -- is pretty simple, and could probably be done in something like Fantasy Grounds. (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=3842&) Or some OSS equivalent.
    I bought the PDF based only on this thread and reading the demo. That's how much of a hard-on I have for this thing. It's not even the setting, it's the whole idea of a blatantly competitive RPG. :)
    That, and Agon's laser-like focus is what I like.

"Returning from the War, you lose your bearings and drift for days. As your water is about to run out, Kraeon spots an island nearby. Suddenly Zeus, king of the Gods materializes in the bow! As you avert your eyes and fall to your knees, the mighty Zeus bestows upon you a Quest!

"Swift-footed Thanassos, Son of Zorba and Mikini, you must go forth on this shore and destroy the foul temple of Oxanos, Scourge of Akassos. For he has offended me greatly and thus needs a swift kick to the 'nads! Go forth now and slap him like a red-headed stepchild!" "

Wham, bam, thank you 'maam! You've got your adventure hook and motivation laid in stone at the very start of the game; no fuckin' around at inns trying to wheedle motivation out of random enpeesees.

GM: "Zeus put a quest on you, now get a fucking move on!"

Lameass Player: "Err... what's my motivation again?"

GM: "To not look like a pussy in front of the gods. Step up, or Ares puts his boot up your ass!"

I'll be trying it out next week. Looking forward to it.

VacuumJockey on

~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I rather liked the admonition that the quest-giving bit not be considered a press conference.

"This I command, for I am Zeus! Tremble before me, mortals!"
    "Now I'll take some questions from the audience."
    "Hi, Perseus, son of Theseus. I've been a big fan of your work..."

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford