As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's watch some [Children's Programming]!

CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game HoarderTop o' the LakeRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So as a fairly new parent and child of the 80s, I'm of course interested in scoping out the good stuff on TV these days for my daughter. I grew up on PBS so I had the good stuff like Sesame Street, Square One, Mr. Rogers, plus the awesome cartoons like Voltron, Smurfs and Thundercats.

So for my little girl, I want to make sure I've got all the cool new stuff nailed down (and also weed out the dreck). She's a bit young to be watching a lot of TV, so I really limit her intake and I want to make sure what she does watch is quality programming.

So far we've taken a shine to Yo Gabba Gabba, Spongebob Squarepants, and the Penguins spinoff from the Madagascar movies. Thankfully Sesame Street is still around, so she'll get to experience that.

What say you folks, about Children's TV these days? Anything new out there worth it's salt? Any of the good old shows still around?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
CaptainPeacock on

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adventure Time!

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fraggle Rock on DVD.

I rewatched it as an adult and it is surprisingly sophisticated.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    While it may end up grinding your nerves, The Wiggles is a pretty good young children's show. And the music is annoyingly catchy.

Quid on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    She's really into music so Wiggles sounds just right. I do have one season of Fraggle Rock on DVD now that I think about it. Might be time to dig that up...

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Wiggles are fine and all, but the Imagination Movers on Disney are fantastic. I will occasionally sing their songs to myself and have a few times watched an episode without my son. Seriously fun music.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Wiggles are fine and all, but the Imagination Movers on Disney are fantastic. I will occasionally sing their songs to myself and have a few times watched an episode without my son. Seriously fun music.

I was going to suggest this. Fantastic music for a kid's show and will probably get her singing to it.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lucid on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adventure Time seems a bit like an older kids show.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pocoyo is a great kids show. It's adorbaly cute. At Uni, my housemates and I would gather around to watch it.

Its also narrated by Stephen Fry, which is all I really need for any show to be honest.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Children's movies seem to be pretty awesome these days. Disney, Pixar, Studio Ghibli, and even Dreamworks are putting out some quality stuff these days. Ponyo would be really good for very young audiences. Princess & The From was really good. I don't know how old your kid is, so she might not be up to the point where she could follow some of these.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, my son is way into Coraline at two years old. Kind of weird but fucking digs it.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Backyardigans! My sons also loves this, and I don't mind watching it either. Lots of songs in it.

Yea, my son is also 2 and he was on a big Tim Burton kick: Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline, 9, etc.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can not go wrong with Dora the Explorer. It is like a secret code for letting parents know other parents are coo' when you drop Dora-isms into everyday speech. And the things you mis-hear because you're only paying half attention and maybe reading the paper are great - I'm still convinced she and Boots were headed to Cocaine Island, not something about a frog like my wife tried to explain.

Sesame Street is, of course, excellent as well. If you have an ipod capable of video, I'd recommend some of their video podcasts for bouts of trouble on the go. Murray Monster is the best new thing on that show.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ours is only 6 months, so really only colors and songs catch her attention right now. On Sesame Street she likes the monsters because of the bright colors and the wispy hair. Dora she is down with and Yo Gabba Gabba because of the sing-alongs. Don't know why because she can't understand a damn word, but maybe it's the melodies.

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My son loves Max and Ruby. Phineas and Ferb are my personal favorite kids cartoon right now. Handy Manny is pretty good and is one of the few shows for boys on Disney. Imagination Movers are AWESOME!

Just check out the Noggins (Nick Jr) channel, that seems to be the most equally balanced kids channel, as far as girl/boy shows.

Yo Gabba Gabba and Ni Hao Kailan can die in a fire. And if I ever meet the Blue's Clues guy, I'm whipping his ass.

EDIT - Reading Comprehension FTW. Though most of the shows I listed are good for girls too! Also, check out the Doodlebops; they're great.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Also, check out the Doodlebops; they're great.

The Doodlebops are really fun.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As far as older cartoons go, once the kid is old enough, Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Yo Gabba Gabba and Ni Hao Kailan can die in a fire. And if I ever meet the Blue's Clues guy, I'm whipping his ass.
    I saw the original Blues Clues guy, Steve, on an episode of Jack's Big Music Show (which btw is a great show that is usually On Demand for Nick Jr).

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As far as older cartoons go, once the kid is old enough, Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck.
    batman_the_animated_series_logo.jpg

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When my wife and I babysat for her friend's kid about 5 years ago, she enjoyed watching Between the Lions. It's a good learn-to-read style kids show on PBS.

Opty on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had always remembered the Spider-Man cartoon as having equivalent production values to Batman the Animated Series. It totally doesn't, it's just terrible.

Luckily Spectacular Spider-Man is way better.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Have you checked out Cbeebies (BBC pre-school channel)? There's an iPlayer available for it here, don't know offhand if there's a country restriction on it.

There's some quality shows there, including one called 'Something Special' that teaches sign language. Waybuloo is fairly entertaining too, it seems.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg