As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Odd Issues

WibodWibod Registered User regular
So I came back for Easter and found out my desktop has magically started to shut itself down, no error, no BSOD, no warnings come start up. The screen just goes black and shuts down. I thought it could be related to dust so I cleaned the case out and it hasn't seemed to help anything. Virus scans seem to be clean.

The shutdowns are random and happen whenever they feel like it seems. The only thing I think it could be is that Vista has decided to cause problems for some unknown reason. This would make sense since it will give me an activation warning saying that it isn't activated. This seems to be a problem with OEM installations and I'm in the process of downloading the most recent service pack to see if it fixes it.

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Memory: 6gb of Corsair OCZ (not sure atm)
VC: 4870
Windows Version: SP2 v.286

Again I'm thinking it's my windows version since it was installed when SP2 was about to release or was when it was still in beta. It is odd though since it's never given me issues before.

Wibod on

• Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That could be it, but as the proud owner of a 4870, I can say with some certainty that that could also be the culprit. If this happens when you're playing a game but the sound keeps going for a few seconds after the screen goes blank, then it's 100% the video card.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    That could be it, but as the proud owner of a 4870, I can say with some certainty that that could also be the culprit. If this happens when you're playing a game but the sound keeps going for a few seconds after the screen goes blank, then it's 100% the video card.

I've had my fair share of fun with video cards so I'm 99% sure it isn't the 4870. The computer shuts off as if the power had been cut.

Right now I'm having fun trying to uninstall the prerelease SP2 and reduce Vista's HDD usage. Whoever designed the winsxs folder and thought it was a good idea to make it untouchable is someone I really hate.

Wibod on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would guess it's hardware, though. Worth some tests, at least. It could very well be a dying PSU, faulty RAM or something wrong with the CPU.

Try booting up an Ubuntu live cd and runing some tests. I don't know if it includes something like Prime95, but they usually have everything in those CDs.

Don't just rule out hardware yet.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It was the prerelease version. After getting the newest SP2 installed windows isn't being silly anymore, I've done a bunch of hardware tests and everything checks out fine and it hasn't shut itself off. I guess it's just one of those odd bugs.

Wibod on