Options

When Women Lost Their [Chat]s

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    If you enjoy meat, but you think hunters are creepy for enjoying hunting, you are a hypocrite.
    I enjoy having money but I don't enjoy working... I don't see how that makes me a hypocrite.

Bama on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

And we've observed gravitational spacial warping in the form of Gravitational Lensing.

nope

all that requires is that photons be affected by gravity, which we know they are!

photons have relativistic mass, so why wouldn't they be affected by gravity?

No they don't. They have momentum but zero rest mass.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Woooo. Cape Wind got approved. It's about fucking time.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hrm, apparently Borderlands is $30 on steam.
    I thought you already had a copy.

Haven't I played Borderlands with you?

My god, I can't remember anything today.

Who the hell are you people?

I do and we have. I may just be recruiting more PC players. >.>

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Spinoza is aces though

Leibniz > Spinoza erryday of the week, son

:(

not everyone can invent calculus

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Just BTW, my dad hunted by wrapping himself up in a red blanket and sitting motionless with a flintlock propped up on a rock for hours until he had a clean shot on a deer. If he didn't kill it the first time, he had to wait for the next day before he'd get another shot because by the time he reloaded all the deer for miles would have scattered.

Wait, he hunted with black powder?

Yessir.

I grew up in a buckskinning family.
    Feral wrote: »
    Is it better to cleanly kill a wild animal for fun+food, or is it better to breed a species of animals and keep them in captivity until we eventually kill them for food?

If you oppose eating meat, then they're both morally repugnant.

If you're okay with eating meat, though, it's not really consistent to oppose hunting (as described above) and not ranching. At the very least, the hunted animal lived in its natural environment, presumably a full and free life, until it was killed. The ranched animal, unless it was raised using free-range humane practices, almost certainly lived a miserable life until it was killed. And we created it just for that purpose.

The only reason to oppose hunting (again, as described above) is to infer something about the character of the hunters - ie, killing an animal is okay, but it's messy and creepy work, so you're not sure you want to be around people who do it. Well, again, then there's no reason to hate hunters unless you hate ranchers at the same time.

I think, to enjoy the fruit of someone's labors while decrying that they participate or even enjoy their labors is hypocrisy.

Most people consider sewage cleaning to be gross and disgusting work. But, you still shit in a toilet and use sinks and in other ways enjoy the existence of the sewer system.

If you decry a sewer worker who actually enjoys his job while still enjoying the fruits of his labor, you're a hypocrite.

And an asshole, to boot.

I largely agree, though there are certain jobs that I could never ever do and in fact I find that I generally don't get along with the kind of people who enjoy them.

Police work and the military for instance. I try not to make it a statement of moral worth, though I think sometimes I fail at that, but I just don't get along with people who really love police work, or who really loved being in the military.

I'm glad they're around, but the mindset it takes to do that sort of work is so incompatible with mine that it's best if we interact on a professional, social-roles level only.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2010
    If you think that's morally repugnant or something, but you still eat meat, you're a hypocrite.

What if you eat meat but you think that people who get off on killing are creepy.

Is that hypocritical?

How are you using "get off" in that sentence, though?

Are you using it in the literal sense of "derives sexual pleasure from"? I don't figure you are.

So do you simply mean "enjoyment"?

Because if so, then yes. If you enjoy meat, but you think hunters are creepy for enjoying hunting, you are a hypocrite.

the meat i consume isn't generally hunted

and producers do not seem to derive enjoyment from the slaughter of commercially-produced meat

so why do i have some sort of moral responsibility to regard sport hunters as anything more than psychopaths?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Borderlands is very good, Thom, especially if you have anyone you can play it with.

I know. And BTW, Skippy is an awful driver. Just horrible. So bad.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Hrm, apparently Borderlands is $30 on steam.
    I thought you already had a copy.

Haven't I played Borderlands with you?

My god, I can't remember anything today.

Who the hell are you people?

I do and we have. I may just be recruiting more PC players. >.>

I have Borderlands

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Finally got my Incredible today.

How do you like it?

It's really slick, and a serious improvement over the Droid. Not really surprising that Google abandoned their plans to release the Nexus One on Big Red,after seeing this phone.

I'm looking to get a new phone soon.

The Incredible is the best phone Verizon has now, bar none.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your usage of the term "sport hunting" is not how the word is used amongst hunters or people who know a good god damn thing about hunting.

You use a totally made-up definition of "sport hunting" to mean "people who hunt in a way that I consider unfair or unchallenging".

Which is actually pretty well-divorced from the word sport, quite frankly.

This isn't me being pedantic. This is you co-opting an already existing phrase to mean something you just made up.
    No. Sport hunting. As in, hunting for sport. Where the number of points or size of the animal is the primary motivation for hunting. The kind where you sit in the back of a truck and pick off deer, leaving their headless carcasses by the side of the road. People do not buy licenses to hunt polar bear in Alaska because they want to eat polar bear meat. They buy it because they want a posed, stuffed carcass for their study. Congratulations. You've never done this. This does not mean it doesn't happen, regularly, in parts of the world where you don't live.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    There's some shit dick with a "Save Our Sound" bumper sticker on his car in the parking lot and I just wanna take a dump on his wind shield.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spinoza is aces though

Of course leibniz invented the calculus

he invented everything!

calculus
    the library
    computers

fucking miracles

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

And we've observed gravitational spacial warping in the form of Gravitational Lensing.

nope

all that requires is that photons be affected by gravity, which we know they are!

I think what Will means is they have energy, and energy is affected by gravity just the same.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Unless this is some quirk of General Relativity. I know precisely bugger all about that

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2010

nope

the have relativistic mass

and, coincidentally, the gravitic force acts on them exactly according to their relativistic mass.

which kind of suggests that relativistic mass, and not rest mass, is the key factor in the gravitic force.

but no one really seems to know for sure.

for instance, do photons exert a mutual gravitic force?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spinoza is aces though

he invented everything!

calculus
    the library
    computers

fucking miracles
    Leibniz invented me losing my virginity in college.

Thanks Leibniz!

MikeMan on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is even a phrase that exists to describe the type of hunting you practice pony, where animals are killed for food or to prevent overpopulation, it's subsistence hunting, and yes, it differs from sport hunting.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Spinoza is aces though

he invented everything!

calculus
    the library
    computers

fucking miracles

those delicious chocolate biscuits...

Leibniz was truly a man of all seasons.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Spinoza is aces though

he invented everything!

calculus
    the library
    computers

fucking miracles

Thanks Leibniz!

you're lucky it wasn't up to newton

newton died a virgin

like half of D&D will

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

the have relativistic mass

and, coincidentally, the gravitic force acts on them exactly according to their relativistic mass.

which kind of suggests that relativistic mass, and not rest mass, is the key factor in the gravitic force.

but no one really seems to know for sure.

for instance, do photons exert a mutual gravitic force?

I am not sold on this, but the idea intrigues me to the extent where I'll ask an astronomer tomorrow. See, what you have made me do?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Newton's cookie-things are not as tasty as Leibniz's choccie biscuits.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Spinoza is aces though

he invented everything!

calculus
    the library
    computers

fucking miracles

Thanks Leibniz!

newton died a virgin

like half of D&D will
    I wonder if this means Newton was a really creative masturbator. Or if he just had a low libido.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you think that's morally repugnant or something, but you still eat meat, you're a hypocrite.

What if you eat meat but you think that people who get off on killing are creepy.

Is that hypocritical?

How are you using "get off" in that sentence, though?

Are you using it in the literal sense of "derives sexual pleasure from"? I don't figure you are.

So do you simply mean "enjoyment"?

Because if so, then yes. If you enjoy meat, but you think hunters are creepy for enjoying hunting, you are a hypocrite.

the meat i consume isn't generally hunted

and producers do not seem to derive enjoyment from the slaughter of commercially-produced meat

so why do i have some sort of moral responsibility to regard sport hunters as anything more than psychopaths?

Are you honestly suggesting that livestock farming is somehow more ethical than hunting?

Will, do you believe that it's okay for a livestock farmer to enjoy his work, and that this makes him not a psychopath, whereas hunters are psychopaths?

Your entire viewpoint as expressed is really, really shakey dude. I'm kind of surprised at it, unless you're just being a devil's advocate here.

Pony on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

newton died a virgin

like half of D&D will
    You can tell which half, because they all have anime avatars.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That apple didn't fall from the tree at random. It fell because Newton was railing the shit out of that tree.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if this means Newton was a really creative masturbator. Or if he just had a low libido.

I'm sure he was briefly involved with some women, but I can't really remember. On the other hand he was pretty sure that he was Jesus II, so he may not have been up for wanking (or putting it in girls).

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I now have a cat on my lap.

Who is methodically licking himself clean in the noisiest way possible.

Gurgle, slurp, growl, lick, repeat.

Oh no, don't mind me.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's your guys'es view on the morality of milf hunting?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHgmnuKhR0

Doc on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I started p90x two days ago.

Fuuuuu

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    I now have a cat on my lap.

Who is methodically licking himself clean in the noisiest way possible.

Gurgle, slurp, growl, lick, repeat.

Oh no, don't mind me.
    Kitty!

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Newton's cookie-things are not as tasty as Leibniz's choccie biscuits.
    THEY'RE NOT COOKIES, GOD DAMN IT, THEY'RE FRUIT AND CAKE!

Bama on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

As long as you do it in a rotation so the population can be properly maintained...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To me, hunting for food is way more...honorable, as killing an animal yourself gives you a much greater respect for the animal and eating it has greater significance.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well I mean as long as you eat what you kill I...

wait what

Bama on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

As long as you do it in a rotation so the population can be properly maintained...

hahahahaha

Preacher this was an excellent reply.

Pony on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

newton died a virgin

like half of D&D will
    You can tell which half, because they all have anime avatars.

:lol:

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    To me, hunting for food is way more...honorable, as killing an animal yourself gives you a much greater respect for the animal and eating it has greater significance.
    Did/do some cultures pray over a kill or was that just in Avatar?

Bama on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eeeeee sampler at Yardhouse in four hours.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.