As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When Women Lost Their [Chat]s

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I use a 24 hour clock and I've gotten so used to it I can pretty much convert time at will.

What I'm saying is that I'm better than you.

Any child can do this.

EDIT: Or what do you mean by converting time? Metric vs imperial time? Because uh

Convert a 24 hour time to a 12 hour time. So in the case of 20:00 I instinctively know that's 8PM.

haha

yeah I knew how to do this when I was what, six?

I live in America and didn't grow up with a 24 hour clock.

my condolances

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Documentary on the war in georgia on now

Online?

I've been watching a shit ton of stuff on Yemen lately.

Sheep on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A boy asks, "Is it time for booze?"
    A man says, "It is time for booze!"

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    euros also write their dates backwards

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Holy shit.
    And I'm in the market.

I wanted 25in, but this is like half the price.

Thanks for the link.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We have to use 24 hour time at work because we have jobs running all the time. At most places of employment you would assume something happening at 1:00 meant in the afternoon, whereas here it's just as likely that job will run at 1:00 am.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

YYYY-MM-DD is the best date format.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is ti time for booze yet

3 hours.

Quid on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    People, I guess. He was working on misguided cognitions but it sounds like he had your interests at heart.

Yeah, that's how I see it too.

It's also how I see my dad. My dad's sort of a paranoid weirdo (although he's mellowed with age) and taught my brother and I all kinds of fucked up shit as kids and lead us (me, especially) to have really weird worldviews that took me to adulthood to shake.

But I don't think he was a psychopath or something. Psychologically ill? Yes, I'd say so. But, not an awful person. Just someone with problems who deals with them poorly.

Pony on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

Online?

Oh yemen, ohhhhh.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyway, I'm done with this whole hunting conversation.

Pony on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    So pretty soon I have to go to a meeting but I wanted to end my involvement in the philosphy thing going on right now with this:

I am fairly confident that I am ignorant of the vocabulary of the debate I am attempting to have; that is in the context of my question, I am consistently provided with definitions and terms which are either unfamiliar or being used in an unfamiliar context (or at worst, common words given unfamiliar definitions).

The original statement I started this off with still rubs me the wrong way, but every time I try and extrapolate as to why, I find myself playing with philosophically loaded words unintentionally.

I am attempting to recognize which words will metaphorically blow up in my face, but it is a long process. Please bear with me. I really feel this debate is important (meaning the debate concerning methodological naturalism, empiricism, and...natural philosophy?) and I will continue it in the future.

Just be prepared to go slowly and define terms that are pretty obvious to many people.

I think it might rub you the wrong way due to the context in which it was presented.

"Methodological naturalism cannot be proven empirically" is not a terribly controversial statement, but neither is it a substantial critique of empiricism or naturalism. If somebody's saying it trying to poke holes in empiricism or the scientific method or atheism, they're probably being a silly goose.

I still think it's important to point out to people who are verging on shouting "empiricism is it, it is the only possible system of knowledge!"

Well, if delving into my personal spiritual beliefs for just a moment, I generally feel that what we call "knowledge" on a daily basis is empirically-based. I don't fully buy the idea that deductive logic can be understood without empiricism; in other words, we know that 2+2=4 from observing things in the world that come in groups of 2 and 4. Just by the time we're past the age of 4 or 5, we've internalized the process so much that it's automatic. That allows us to come to conclusions about things outside of our immediate experience, but I'm not convinced that those underlying logical principles aren't rooted in empirical observation.

coming back from a long meeting- anyway I cut the rest of this off because I can't really address it yet (I like the concept, but I need to think about it). But I like this part. I like it A LOT.

Anyway time to go eat food I just wanted to say that I <3 feral.

Arch on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Holy shit.
    And I'm in the market.

I wanted 25in, but this is like half the price.

Thanks for the link.

I have a similar one from them that I also got pretty cheap. It's great.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Especially for the naming of files on a computer.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think maybe I will do Orzammar next

Elendil on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ahhhhhh... dislike of newegg's return policy vs. amazon... but cheap and a good deal and fast shipping...

firewaterword on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    BTP wrote: »
    Is there still anything like this being sold today? If so, WHERE?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playskool_Pipeworks

Seriously. Anyone?

Looks like Lego Technix stuff. So try there. Or these things we used to call Teeter Toys.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    coming back from a long meeting- anyway I cut the rest of this off because I can't really address it yet (I like the concept, but I need to think about it). But I like this part. I like it A LOT.

Just a warning, I'm going out on a limb with that.

Feral on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Especially for the naming of files on a computer.

Totally.

Feral on

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ohsvJHkbY&feature=popt00us03

HAHAHA, its just so... poe's law somehow. The "it just makes sense" line just take it too far.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

Online?

state television.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

I never did Orzammar.

On my 3rd attempt to play through that game I did all of the main race places except for Orzammar and then stopped.

There are things about that game I enjoy but it has the strangest tendency to make me have no desire to play it anymore after a certain amount of time.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I will never figure out why anyone thought MM-DD-YYYY was a good idea.

Really it should go from most significant digit to least significant, like any other number, but DD-MM-YYYY is acceptable because it matches the way people say dates when speaking.

japan on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

day/month/year fine.

year/month/day also fine.

month/day/year year/day/month what is wrong with you.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8cNrIR5ac

I love oldey time america.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Buying the expansion was the only reason I was able to finish dragon age.

But now I'll probably wait for another expansion to finish the expansion.

I'm pretty bad at this.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    japan wrote: »

Really it should go from most significant digit to least significant, like any other number, but DD-MM-YYYY is acceptable because it matches the way people say dates when speaking.

Americans say "February 2nd" or "May 17th."

Feral on

• Options
    edited April 2010

Orzammar will make you feel like you actually did fight your way through endless underground caverns

because you will have fought through endless underground caverns.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

day/month/year fine.

year/month/day also fine.

month/day/year year/day/month what is wrong with you.

This.

Much like the metric system, we're the ones that fucked up here.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Just a warning, I'm going out on a limb with that.

No, I understand that. I am going out on the same limb, but I think it is a very valid line of inquiry and I think the argument itself has a lot of merit, especially in relation to everything we have been discussing.

I am sure the idea needs fine tuning and polish but I think it could easily be made workable to the degree that I want; but that is a conversation for another day wherein I can address it with the right tools as I am currently woefully unequipped for this sort of debate (if you remember my post earlier).

Also pony I am interested in your response to how I view the potential eventuality of my hunting (I posted it before I left, and I know you said you are done, so if you just wanna PM it or something that would be cool. I am just curious as to your response.)

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    putting the date first makes no sense since you get the number before the context (the month)

Elendil on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    japan wrote: »

Americans say "February 2nd" or "May 17th."

Really?

Huh.

I suppose that explains that, then.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    firewaterword on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I think using the terms "sport hunter" or "trophy hunter" as some kind of slur to describe hunters you think are creepy weirdos or pathetic losers who don't want a challenge or are outright poachers belies a massive ignorance of hunting as an activity.

All hunters find sport in what they do. All hunters choose to hunt and enjoy the act of hunting itself. If they didn't, they wouldn't do it. They don't need it to survive. Not anyone who is defined as a hunter in the western world, anyway.

"Subsistence hunter" creates a false comparison, where some hunting is okay so long as you eat what you kill, because that somehow justifies the act of choosing to hunt and enjoying it.

Hunting is hunting. Some hunters are assholes. Many are ignorant gun-nut jerkbags. Some are outright psychopaths, but that's pretty rare. Trying to create some kind of distinction between "subsistence hunters" and "trophy hunters" smacks of someone who doesn't hunt trying to create some kind of false terminology so they can say "hunters I like" and "hunters I don't like".

the ones i find creepy are the ones who are in it principally for the killin'

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Orzammar will make you feel like you actually did fight your way through endless underground caverns

because you will have fought through endless underground caverns.
    yeah I kind of want to do the other quests first but I want the next character

I don't want to put it off, get the new guy and be all whoops game's over

Elendil on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sparvy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ohsvJHkbY&feature=popt00us03

HAHAHA, its just so... poe's law somehow. The "it just makes sense" line just take it too far.

Why does he... why does he look down towards the end? And how much money would be saved like 20 bucks? OH SHIT BUDGET CRISIS SOLVED!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne, did you have an opportunity to look up EDH?

Feral on

• Options
    edited April 2010
This discussion has been closed.